You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: practice

Default practice

I was just wondering how much you practice especially all the bow hunters, I shoot every morning and every night, I do not bow hunt that much but I do get out there sometimes. I shoot at the range quite a bit and see hunters come in to get there bow set up and take a few shots and then you hear them say well if I can hit the target I can kill a deer. I am not trying to start anything here but I see guys that think they can shoot but have no form what so ever, I would love to see them practice a little more or even ask some of the other guys for help. More often than not there is always someone at the range that can give a few pointers so do not be afraid to ask. I saw a man shooting today that had his feet spread at least five feet apart man he was spread out. body bent, draw length 1'' to long and man he was gonna get a big deer this year. just remember a little practice could be the difference between a nice 12 pointer or shooting over him.

Not to argue with you, But I use to teach archery and My brother in Ark. still does. The one thing we do is give you a basic to start with. The ones that become very proficient with there shooting are the ones that usually have the best stances and techniques. But once in a while you get one in there that looks terrible but seems to hit the bullseye just as good as the pro's. I also find that the ones that shoot, and there pattern is in a 10 inch diameter which is wide, sometime get mad if you try to help. And I agree that these are the ones that get you frustrated because you know they will be out there hunting yet they don't want any help. They are also the ones that give hunting a bad name, wounding animals and letting them suffer. To bad there really isn't anything you can do. If you say something to them, you may be in a situation you don't want to be in. Thus in some other post I read somewhere I also feel there should be a proficiency test before a license is given, and that goes for any type of hunting, ie gun bow, cross bow, sling shot, air rifle. If your hunting you should prove you can make the kill and prove you know the rules and know the safety rules to follow. JMO

I only get to shoot about once a week if that

I do shoot still about 4 to 5 days a week and about 2 hours per day.

Default !

hello,i usaully practise 3-4 times a week but i keep my sessions short,maybe 50-70 shots,but remember as a hunter iam pulling 65# and it can geta real tired in a hurry....
    2010 PSE AXE 7

I shoot my bow at least 5 times a week at various distances. During the hunting season I usually practice on Sundays. I see a lot of people friends included that would be happy to hit a pie plate at 20 yards, and they hunt. I get frustrated when we shoot because they will ask how to get better, and they wont listen to anyones advice. One friend went to his local shop and asked for help, when they told him everything he did was wrong he got upset and went somewhere else. He still shoots with me but I have made a point not to even tell him anything.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

I try to shoot about 3 times a week, but don't always get to. Would be much easier if I could shoot in my back yard!!! I would like to be able to shoot every day if I could though. My father-in-law is one of those never practice hunters. Although every time he pulls the bow out, he can put it in, or at least very close to the bull. I don't have a problem with him not practicing as much because he won't shoot a deer past 20 yds anyway.

He does practice with his recurve, but hunts with the Tribute...
    Hook 'Em Horns

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

I practice as much as possible w/fp's and i'll shoot a practice BH now and than just to make sure their ok .If nothing else just to keep my arm in shape.

I usually shoot every day for about an hour...and a 3d every Sunday...
    this years been alittle busy for me so I haven't been shooting as much...but I practice as much as I can...

As far as those "guys" you speek of, I know plenty of them...the guys that shoot 5 arrows 3 weeks before season at a paper plate on a hay bale @ 20 yrds..."If I can hit that I can kill a deer"

I shoot all year long. Usually try to shoot at least 3 times a week. During season I usually try to only shoot 10-15 arrows 3X a week.

"HONDA"

Default I shoot !

Every day or atleast 5days a week!
    My recurve 30 arrows
    My target bow 30 arrows In tournaments,all done this year.
    100 arrows while shooting 3D for tournaments.
    Hunting bow 12 arrows sometimes 6
    The reason for this is after 100s of arrows tuneing the hunting bow its ready.
    I want to practice as little as possible with 6 to 12 perfect shots a day sometimes every other day.
    No more wear or stress on the string and cables than i have too
    the night before the season starts 20 to 30 arrows and no more!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Default No!

Quote Originally Posted by Huya View Post
    Not to argue with you, But I use to teach archery and My brother in Ark. still does. The one thing we do is give you a basic to start with. The ones that become very proficient with there shooting are the ones that usually have the best stances and techniques. But once in a while you get one in there that looks terrible but seems to hit the bullseye just as good as the pro's. I also find that the ones that shoot, and there pattern is in a 10 inch diameter which is wide, sometime get mad if you try to help. And I agree that these are the ones that get you frustrated because you know they will be out there hunting yet they don't want any help. They are also the ones that give hunting a bad name, wounding animals and letting them suffer. To bad there really isn't anything you can do. If you say something to them, you may be in a situation you don't want to be in. Thus in some other post I read somewhere I also feel there should be a proficiency test before a license is given, and that goes for any type of hunting, ie gun bow, cross bow, sling shot, air rifle. If your hunting you should prove you can make the kill and prove you know the rules and know the safety rules to follow. JMO
    I disagree,
    Hula are you Indian?
    Im 1/2 and there are alot of archers out there that are doing what they love doing shooting the bow and hunting!
    Do you think Indians,back in the day had as perfect forum as you?
    I dont think so.
    they were hunters Real Bowhunters and Not giveing hunting a bad name!
    And if you were going to try to teach them how to shoot a bow, they probably would give you the same attitude.
    Old school Archery,think about it!
    I taught myself Some 35 years ago read books and learned on my own.
    Ive given demo's to Boyscout Jamboree's
    Im not perfect but no one is but a true Indian to me!
    They were here first, just them and there Bows!
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

Look I can hit a pie tin at 20 yards and that is good enough for me. Abd I can hit dimes at 20 yards to. lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

Default Allright!

Quote Originally Posted by QSA View Post
    Look I can hit a pie tin at 20 yards and that is good enough for me. Abd I can hit dimes at 20 yards to. lol
    Now if ya were huntin Elaphant Thats some good groupen.
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

Not grouping, did you see the little black dots at the end of the shafts on the target. I do not shoot groups becuse I do not want to mess up my arrows.
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

Not grouping, did you see the little black dots at the end of the shafts on the target. I do not shoot groups becuse I do not want to mess up my arrows.
    I think and hope he was just teasing you.

"HONDA"

Default Ya right!

Your daughter shot that target wright!
    Or you shot that elephant group and then got a magic marker out!
    I know I could shoot that good at maybe 15yds after that I couldnt see them dots!
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

8X brother it makes things bigger, 2X on my hunting rig. BUt I am take it off, I got new glasses after 3 years. My others got trashed at work.

Default No!

8X brother it makes things bigger, 2X on my hunting rig. BUt I am take it off, I got new glasses after 3 years. My others got trashed at work.
    Dude you said you couldnt shoot that good!
    You sure your daughter didnt shoot that with her new bow!
    And after bending 700 metal rods into stands im suprised you can hold a bow still!
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

Once season starts I try to shoot a couple of times in the basement a couple of times and try to also get outside and shoot a couple times. It gets hard to shoot outside when it gets dark out early, especially when it's already dark out when you get home from work.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor