You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: erratic shots

Default erratic shots

Hello all,
    New here.

Been using a Hoyt Intruder for 3 yrs now. Was my first (and only) bow.
    Have been fairly accurate up to now. Just for reference ( not boasting) I could hit the eye ball on No Corn ( my 3d target) from 20 yds 2 out of three times. At 25 and 30 yds I was accurate enough to feel confident I could hit close to my intended target.
    As alot of you do I get hot and heavy with it this time of yr getting ready for White tail. All was fine untill one day I seemed to just lose it!

So I went down to the archery shop and we tuned it back in. Paper sighting was off. We have that now set to an almost perfect shot. Replaced my whisker bisquit.
    I still have erratic shooting going on. Sometimes I am dead on for 2 or 3 shots then all of a sudden im off by 4 or 5 inches It's not consistently off in any one direction or height.
    I guess my next step is to have it taken apart and gone through complely unless someone else has other things I might check.

Any advise would be appreciated as Oct 11th is getting close.

Sounds like your very slightly "jumping" on the release. I do that sometimes too, but I've been working on correcting it. Next time you shoot, pay attention to it, I'm willing to bet that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob4 View Post
    Hello all,
    New here.

Have been fairly accurate up to now. Just for reference ( not boasting) I could hit the eye ball on No Corn ( my 3d target) from 20 yds 2 out of three times. At 25 and 30 yds I was accurate enough to feel confident I could hit close to my intended target.
    As alot of you do I get hot and heavy with it this time of yr getting ready for White tail. All was fine untill one day I seemed to just lose it!

So I went down to the archery shop and we tuned it back in. Paper sighting was off. We have that now set to an almost perfect shot. Replaced my whisker bisquit.
    I still have erratic shooting going on. Sometimes I am dead on for 2 or 3 shots then all of a sudden im off by 4 or 5 inches It's not consistently off in any one direction or height.
    I guess my next step is to have it taken apart and gone through complely unless someone else has other things I might check.

well how old are your strings? string and cable stretch could be an issue. also are you shooting carbon or aluminum? carbons will loose there spine a tad after a while..I've shot the spine out on a few sets of arrows last year and the year before. check cam bushings and bearings. if theres slop they will shoot erratic. I'm not a hoyt guy so I dont know if its a single or 2 cam. 2 cam check tiller/ timing.. or could be as easy as you sight/rest got bumped and you didnt realize it? anchor point issues.. to tight of grip/torqueing, or your looking for the arrow right after the shot..?
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Default Hi,Bob!

Hello all,
    New here.

It sounds like if your bows is on,and then its off your concentration is not on your forum and the shoot.
    It sounds like you are squeezeing the the grip at the moment of the shot or punching the trigger or a combonation of both!
    If the bow is hitting its mark 2 or3 times in a row and then pitching left and right!
    Hope this helps and welcome to the forum!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Welcome...

It sounds like it's you to me...

I have the same issue sometimes...It usually comes down to me torquing the bow...

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Welcome...

It sounds like it's you to me...

I have the same issue sometimes...It usually comes down to me torquing the bow...
    Yep thats what I would say also. Get a buddy to watch you shoot.

"HONDA"

Thnaks for the replies all,
    I appreciate it as I don't have a bunch of time to solve this one.
    Hope you don't mind the large post as I need to find out as much as I can as fast as I can.

I am shooting brand new carbon arrows 4 inch fletchings. I tried the new 2 inch and gained speed (5 fps) this is when I noticed my inaccuracy. So I blamed it on the new fletchings. Past them onto my son and just bought 12 new gold tips. No change.
    It's a 2 cam Bow. I really don't know about checking the cams for slop. Can you do this while the bow is all together ?
    If so, I don't think that's the case. They seem to have no lateral play as is.
    Strings were new last season. checked and rechecked the sights moving them as I thought needed to be. To be honest here even at 10 yds I'm not 100%. That's just to close not to be on.

My grip. I have never actually gripped the bow. I just sort of balance it on my hand with thumb and index finger sort of gripping it lightly. When I first started I did use a grip on the grip if you will. I just conformed to "My way" and it has worked well for 3 yrs . Untill now of course.
    I also always try not to drop the bow right after I shoot. I release and hold steady untill I hear it hit home. Sometimes I catch myself at this.

Tonight was worse. What ever the problem is it's seems to be worse. No grouping to speak of. Off to the left off to the right little high little low. Just erratic. I hope it's not me because at this rate I won't be able to hit the proverbial broad side of a barn by Oct. 11th .

Someone mentioned one of the limbs may not be @ 100%. Others mentioned the cams. The bow is 6 yrs old now. and had one major tuneup last yr. No reports of cams needed replacing or anything major for that matter.

PLease feel free to keep advise coming. I'll let you know what I do to get it right. I am taking it in tommorrow to see what the archery shop has to say. We lost our old shop . That guy was great . This shop is new and the only one. I hope thier good.

Default Ok!

Thnaks for the replies all,
    I appreciate it as I don't have a bunch of time to solve this one.
    Hope you don't mind the large post as I need to find out as much as I can as fast as I can.

I am shooting brand new carbon arrows 4 inch fletchings. I tried the new 2 inch and gained speed (5 fps) this is when I noticed my inaccuracy. So I blamed it on the new fletchings. Past them onto my son and just bought 12 new gold tips. No change.
    It's a 2 cam Bow. I really don't know about checking the cams for slop. Can you do this while the bow is all together ?
    If so, I don't think that's the case. They seem to have no lateral play as is.
    Strings were new last season. checked and rechecked the sights moving them as I thought needed to be. To be honest here even at 10 yds I'm not 100%. That's just to close not to be on.

My grip. I have never actually gripped the bow. I just sort of balance it on my hand with thumb and index finger sort of gripping it lightly. When I first started I did use a grip on the grip if you will. I just conformed to "My way" and it has worked well for 3 yrs . Untill now of course.
    I also always try not to drop the bow right after I shoot. I release and hold steady untill I hear it hit home. Sometimes I catch myself at this.

Tonight was worse. What ever the problem is it's seems to be worse. No grouping to speak of. Off to the left off to the right little high little low. Just erratic. I hope it's not me because at this rate I won't be able to hit the proverbial broad side of a barn by Oct. 11th .

Someone mentioned one of the limbs may not be @ 100%. Others mentioned the cams. The bow is 6 yrs old now. and had one major tuneup last yr. No reports of cams needed replacing or anything major for that matter.

PLease feel free to keep advise coming. I'll let you know what I do to get it right. I am taking it in tommorrow to see what the archery shop has to say. We lost our old shop . That guy was great . This shop is new and the only one. I hope thier good.
    If its not you!
    Answer these ?
    1.did you crank the bow up or down?
    2.what Poundage is it set on?
    3.what arrow are you shooting?
    4.Areyou trying to tune broadheads or are you talking field points?
    5.What Is the total weight of the arrow with the Head?
    6.what type of rest are you using?
    7. What did the pro-shop do,change strings,peep,set nock?
    Is your Serving loose at all or worn?
    We need more Info to help you.
    Timeing of the cams: you can pull the bow back (without an arrow) and slowly ease it down and feel one start to rollover before the other,worn cable will cause the cam timeing problem,but i dont think its that.
    It sounds like arrows under-spined maybe with a heavy tip weight!
    Or Nocking point has moved or rest im thinking your serving may be loose!
    Just guessing right now need more info!
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

Put numbers on the vanes of your arrows. You probobly have some old ones in the quiver that have degraded spines and microfractures in the shaft. It happens over time and use, especially if you beat them up from time to time.
    Make sure your vanes are fletched at only a couple degrees off straight. Any more than that will damage the WB and cause progressively erratic arrow flight. You might have multiple things going on, don't forget.
    And look closely at the WB and see if it is showing signs of wear on any specific aspect. This would show as broken tips on the back side, and pulled forward whiskers on the front.
    If you find those signs, move the biscuit in the direction of the damaged area a little at a time until the groups tighten, or the nocking point away from the part of the biscuit showing tip damage until you get the result.
    Then put in another brand new disk.
    It's much easier to do with a "Deluxe" model than the lower priced ones. You might want to consider a upgrade.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Sniper; 09-23-2007 at 08:08 PM.

errrrrrrr Not sure what happened to my last post.

Anyway heres what I found tonight after kbohunts post.

The serving. I didn't know anything about this. Googled it and ran to my Bow.

In looking at it, if I understand what this is, The serving close to the knock point has a space in the wrap. Possibly indicating that it's loose? Wish I new more about this part.

shooting Muzzy 100 grain broad head practice tips.

GoldTip expedition hunter 8.9 grains? +/- 2 grains.

Whisker bisquit brand new..

adjusted to get a good paper shot.

Raised poundage by about 3 lbs or so to bring it to just under 60lbs. The bow is rated for 60 lbs.

Double Cam.

Default Bingo!

errrrrrrr Not sure what happened to my last post.

Anyway heres what I found tonight after kbohunts post.

The serving. I didn't know anything about this. Googled it and ran to my Bow.

In looking at it, if I understand what this is, The serving close to the knock point has a space in the wrap. Possibly indicating that it's loose? Wish I new more about this part.

shooting Muzzy 100 grain broad head practice tips.

GoldTip expedition hunter 8.9 grains? +/- 2 grains.

Whisker bisquit brand new..

adjusted to get a good paper shot.

Raised poundage by about 3 lbs or so to bring it to just under 60lbs. The bow is rated for 60 lbs.

Double Cam.
    Allright sounds like 3 problems!
    Go to the shop
    Let them re-serve your string,set your nocking point at 1/8inch high of center to your rest.
    Arrows are fine dont worry about them its in your bow.
    Rest new not set right
    cranked poundage up which throws nocking point off
    and serveing comeing loose causing nocking point to move!
    Fix it and get back with us!
    P.S. Have them check the rest for center shot (side to side)
    If they installed it to close or far from the risor its causeing your side to side shooting! Set it your self by holding the bow up looking at the string across both cams follow them to the center of the rest.
    If its not there move it there!
    If i were there id have ya shootin darts in 15 minutes!
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

Put on a string loop when they reserve. Did see a mention of one.

I'll get it to them today.
    Thanks

I'm confused on the arrow you posted.
    It's either 5575 or 7595?

If it is 7595 you are over spined for a 57-60# bow.

What is your draw length? Are you really shooting a full length arrow?
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

I am shooting the 7595 as a matter of fact. The shop recommended it.
    What is over spinned? Would it cause erratic shots ? I have been using the same type of arrows for sometime now. Before my problem.

My arrows are cut for me. I am vertically challenged. ( short)

Don't remember my draw length.
    The arrows are 26 1/4 inches long from end to end. Measured w/ No knock no tips. When drawn I leave about 1.5 inches left sticking out beyond the rest.

Your arrows are overspined. I shoot 5575 gold tip xt's at 65lbs and a 29" draw length. My arrows are 28" long and I am borderline underspined and they shoot great @ 60 yards!! The manufacturers usually underrate their arrows as sort of a saftey net for themselves. I'm not sure what effects an overspined arrow will have on flight, you are just launching a heavier arrow. I haven't gone back through all the replies, but I would think your arrows should fly fine if your rest and nocking point are tweaked a little bit.

Field points or broadheads?

I am shooting the 7595 as a matter of fact. The shop recommended it.
    What is over spinned? Would it cause erratic shots ? I have been using the same type of arrows for sometime now. Before my problem.

My arrows are cut for me. I am vertically challenged. ( short)

Don't remember my draw length.
    The arrows are 26 1/4 inches long from end to end. Measured w/ No knock no tips. When drawn I leave about 1.5 inches left sticking out beyond the rest.
    Bob your arrows are spined for probably a 110# bow. I had an interesting conversation with John Dudley regarding spine. He said, if your form is perfect you can shoot a stiff arrow just fine. However, your flaws will be magnified! For us mortals, we should shoot the proper spined arrow if we expect decent groups.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

What kind of negative effects show up from shooting an overspined arrow? What about a fence straddling underspined arrow?
    http://www.goldtip.com/downloads/2006sizing-chart.pdf
    If I turn my bow up one pound the sizing chart puts me in a 7595 arrow??
    Currently shoot 65 lbs. 29" draw with a 28" 5575 weighing in at 365 grains/385 w/ lumenok??? What do you think Chris?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Bob your arrows are spined for probably a 110# bow. I had an interesting conversation with John Dudley regarding spine. He said, if your form is perfect you can shoot a stiff arrow just fine. However, your flaws will be magnified! For us mortals, we should shoot the proper spined arrow if we expect decent groups.
    I can shoot them!!! lol..
    yep way over spined.....
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS