You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: fawns

  1. #1
    Senior Member Werd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,230

    Default fawns

    here in pa theres this regulation special area hunt where you can only shoot doe from sept 15-29..then on the 1st of october u can harvest a buck. now yesterday i was in my stand and at 5:20 this little fawn (prolly about 25 lbs max) came bolting out right under my stand. went outt and starting eating apples i threw. then a groundhog scared it. now my question is.......why would they have a doe hunting only this early when they know the fawns cant survive without mammas milk??
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

  2. #2
    I pray for you! BUNNYMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    the Hutch
    Posts
    29,897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FredBearTRX32User View Post
    here in pa theres this regulation special area hunt where you can only shoot doe from sept 15-29..then on the 1st of october u can harvest a buck. now yesterday i was in my stand and at 5:20 this little fawn (prolly about 25 lbs max) came bolting out right under my stand. went outt and starting eating apples i threw. then a groundhog scared it. now my question is.......why would they have a doe hunting only this early when they know the fawns cant survive without mammas milk??
    if it was eating apples...its almost thru w/the milk stage, if not allready done....
    I cut things up and split them down!

  3. #3
    Evil Genius brokenarrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson Valley NY
    Posts
    5,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    if it was eating apples...its almost thru w/the milk stage, if not allready done....
    Yep...fawns around me have been off the teet for a while now...


  4. #4
    IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Doe Run Mo,south east Missouri
    Posts
    1,529

    Default

    Yesterday morning a couple fawns with just a hint of their spots left were picking up acorns.But i still chose not to shoot the mom.

  5. #5
    are u a fat boy? kbohunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Moseley,Va
    Posts
    3,237

    Default Yep!

    Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Yep...fawns around me have been off the teet for a while now...
    What he said, They might try to still get the milk
    But there just about on there own!
    kbohunt

    Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Does are still lactating, but will stop nursing in the next month from now so they can ovulate in Nov. and Dec.
    Fawns could survive on their own now, if food is available. of course, being naive and curious, they would be very vulnerable without Mama to show them the ropes, and keep them out of trouble.

  7. #7
    Senior Member 'SIN'ERGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading PA
    Posts
    1,143

    Default

    Just So You Know Opening Day For Buck In Pa Is September 29,
    I Wouldn't Want You To Miss An Oppurtunity.
    SAVE A BUCK--SHOOT AN OUTFITTER

  8. #8
    Member Timmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Oshkosh, WI
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Here in WI the season opened September 15th. I've shot plenty of does early in the season, some even on opening weekend. Never seen one that was still lactating. Fawns are done nursing by September, at least around here. There me be exceptions at times but I've not seen it.

  9. #9
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FredBearTRX32User View Post
    here in pa theres this regulation special area hunt where you can only shoot doe from sept 15-29..then on the 1st of october u can harvest a buck. now yesterday i was in my stand and at 5:20 this little fawn (prolly about 25 lbs max) came bolting out right under my stand. went outt and starting eating apples i threw. then a groundhog scared it. now my question is.......why would they have a doe hunting only this early when they know the fawns cant survive without mammas milk??
    Just so you know the apples you threw is considered baiting and if a game warden came past and saw them you could be in trouble, or if someone wanted to cause trouble.

    Also as mentioned, 9/29 is offical start and you can drop a buck on Saturday.
    25 pounds is VERY small, a fawn is normally around 7 - 8 pounds at birth, they grow pretty quickly from there. A button buck I shot last year was somewhere around 50 pounds dressed, my bow (CR331) was longer and taller then him, they weigh more then you think normally

    Did he have spots still? It looks like some fawns dropped pretty late this year and they still have their full spots.
    No I'm not dead

  10. #10
    Senior Member Werd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Just so you know the apples you threw is considered baiting and if a game warden came past and saw them you could be in trouble, or if someone wanted to cause trouble.

    Also as mentioned, 9/29 is offical start and you can drop a buck on Saturday.
    25 pounds is VERY small, a fawn is normally around 7 - 8 pounds at birth, they grow pretty quickly from there. A button buck I shot last year was somewhere around 50 pounds dressed, my bow (CR331) was longer and taller then him, they weigh more then you think normally

    Did he have spots still? It looks like some fawns dropped pretty late this year and they still have their full spots.
    this little guy was full of spots. and no its not illegal to bait. they passed the law last year on private property your allowed to bait . i dont think he lost one spot yet. he was so little. and thanks i thought oct. 1 was first day for buck. thanks for that.
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

  11. #11
    Senior Member Werd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    ohh btw. i went out tonight. 9/24 and saw 6 doe. closest they came was 65 yards. the mom was prolly 150-180 lbs. she was HUGE. i would have shot her she had youngings with her but they had no spots and i watched them for about 1 hour-1 1/2 nd they never tried to get milk. but i dont know what was up with that fawn saturday night. he still had all the spots and was as big as my beagle dog.
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

  12. #12
    Senior Member 'SIN'ERGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading PA
    Posts
    1,143

    Default

    Baitng is only legal in the SPECIAL REGULATION COUNTIES. If you are baiting outside these areas YoU are WRONG... private property or not. It goes by county not WMU for SPECIAL REG AREAS. You might want to read through your digest one more time before you head back out to the woods. And anyway do you really need help that much as to need to bait???
    SAVE A BUCK--SHOOT AN OUTFITTER

  13. #13
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "SIN"ERGY View Post
    Baitng is only legal in the SPECIAL REGULATION COUNTIES. If you are baiting outside these areas YoU are WRONG... private property or not. It goes by county not WMU for SPECIAL REG AREAS. You might want to read through your digest one more time before you head back out to the woods. And anyway do you really need help that much as to need to bait???
    oh yeah I forgot they made bating legal for like 3 counties that are almost entirely "city" areas.

    here it is from the PGC... make sure you are safe!

    HARRISBURG - Beginning Dec. 26, (06) hunters in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties may hunt for deer over bait on private property as a result of regulatory changes approved recently by the Pennsylvania Game Commission.
    No I'm not dead

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    Here in WI the season opened September 15th. I've shot plenty of does early in the season, some even on opening weekend. Never seen one that was still lactating. Fawns are done nursing by September, at least around here. There me be exceptions at times but I've not seen it.
    Around here the fawns are dropped from May until early July. Mid June should be the norm. Some of the does, especially late born does from the spring, don't get bred until January, when they come into first estrus. I read somewhere as many as 90% of female fawns get bred that first winter. usually in Dec and January. The late born fawns are small, and some have spots until well into Oct. If you drop a doe, and get to her quick after death, give the nipples a squeeze. You'll be surprised to find you get a squirt. If you wait a while after the kill, it might not work. The late nursing we see is often a comfort and bonding act, more than a nutritonal issue.
    With so many deer in SE PA. Some of the does miss getting bred on the first estrus. So when it comes around a month later they get chased down again. With all the deer living in developed areas the Rut can be a confusing time, with deer in such built up space. Bucks are all over the roads getting hit by cars, cause they are walking around looking for love in all the "Wrong Places".
    Last edited by Sniper; 09-25-2007 at 08:23 AM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Holy Smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free
    Posts
    6,714

    Default

    Had a coulpe under me fer 20 min last evening.
    I would have had ta wiped that milk off their whiskers.
    So I waited on mom ta git in a good spot got 3 yards from it and move back out
    Next time.
    When I hit tha ground had a skunk at 7 yards
    I was a very good boy to.
    did'nt move a muscel till he passed by.



    Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

  16. #16
    RIP Ronhop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rock Island, IL
    Posts
    3,967

    Default

    Don't know about that but baiting of any kind is illegal as running a stop sign in Illinois, and you might get a worse punishment than running a stop sign...

    Ron

  17. #17
    Senior Member Werd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    oh yeah I forgot they made bating legal for like 3 counties that are almost entirely "city" areas.

    here it is from the PGC... make sure you are safe!

    HARRISBURG - Beginning Dec. 26, (06) hunters in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties may hunt for deer over bait on private property as a result of regulatory changes approved recently by the Pennsylvania Game Commission.

    read your rules...im IN 5C.....
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

  18. #18
    Senior Member 'SIN'ERGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading PA
    Posts
    1,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FredBearTRX32User View Post
    read your rules...im IN 5C.....

    It does not matter if you are in 5c there fella, you need to be in Montgomery County. 5c also has part in Berks County, you can NOT bait in Berks. Looks like you need to read the rules a little better... It clearly says baiting is only allowed in special regulation areas, only half of 5c is special reg.

    Special regs go by county still not WMU.. I'll ask ya again do you really need to bait??? to get a deer???
    SAVE A BUCK--SHOOT AN OUTFITTER

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •