You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Job at a Pro shop

I was offered a part time job at the local proshop last night, nothing huge just some weekend help(fri,sat,sun. evenings)..... Well, i'm a full time engineer(mon-fri), and have class 8 till 4 every other weekend. Basically, I have two weekends free a month, hunting season is here, and I get offered a job. If I take this job it will put the kabosh on evening weekend hunting. What would some of you do? I took a look at my availability, a grand total of 16 days from now until Jan. 17! What are some of the perks of working at a proshop?? FYI, this is one of the best shops in the state!

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tnts79 View Post
    I was offered a part time job at the local proshop last night, nothing huge just some weekend help(fri,sat,sun. evenings)..... Well, i'm a full time engineer(mon-fri), and have class 8 till 4 every other weekend. Basically, I have two weekends free a month, hunting season is here, and I get offered a job. If I take this job it will put the kabosh on evening weekend hunting. What would some of you do? I took a look at my availability, a grand total of 16 days from now until Jan. 17! What are some of the perks of working at a proshop?? FYI, this is one of the best shops in the state!
    Experience, discounts, talking archery and getting paid for it...

but you can't hunt
    No I'm not dead

if you enjoy hunting or shooting for yourself, then trust me DO NOT DO IT....I have now been on both sides of the coin and would much prefer not working in the shop....
    I cut things up and split them down!

I agree with bowman, I do not want anything else to take away from my time in the woods.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

i am sure it would be great but it most likely is seasonal .... meanign during deer season... as for me i would rather be hunting than working.... unless the income is needed i wouldnt do it.... just my 2 cents

For me it would clearly depend on the pay and bennies.
    Bad pay and little or no bennies, I'd be hunting.

Ron

The pay isn't so much a concern, but the benefits(discount), meeting other archers/hunters, and possibly finding new places to hunt, etc.... is why I am even considering the offer! We haven't discussed the finer details yet. I just hate to miss out on some good weekends to hunt, if its a seasonal position I won't consider it due to the fact, they are hiring me so they can have more time to hunt. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

The pay isn't so much a concern, but the benefits(discount), meeting other archers/hunters, and possibly finding new places to hunt, etc.... is why I am even considering the offer! We haven't discussed the finer details yet. I just hate to miss out on some good weekends to hunt, if its a seasonal position I won't consider it due to the fact, they are hiring me so they can have more time to hunt. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.
    Yes, good point. Networking, meeting people and finding about new places to hunt are definitely bennies (along with the discount). I didn't really think about that but that's a good thing.

I guess it would depend on if I had kids at home. I don't anymore and don't have grandkids yet (thank goodness) so I might swing toward taking the job and just working through scheduling so I could hunt for a few hours once a week or so. My hunting land access fell short this year because one of my idiot buddies got into a fight with a landowner last Winter and screwed some things up. Another buddiy split from his fiance, who's father owns some land we hunted. I'm probably going to blow off opengin day/week and just wait until the weather gets cold. It's 91 fricking degrees here today.

Ron

best perk.. knoweledge. forget the freebees and discounts. I worked at a shop for 3 years voluntary part time for free. I just wanted as much info. on how to repair and tune every bow I could. A I was fortunate to learn from one of the best techs around.. knowledge is every thing in the archery world! have fun.... you'll be fletching tons of arrows!!
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

if you dont need the money, go hunting. which would you rather do. brag about making a two color bow string or a trophy buck hanging on the wall. if you need any info about archery you can always ask here. some one will have a answer. go hunt my friend.