You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aiming problem

Default aiming problem

I've developed this problem. It seems when I try to put my pin on the spot I automatically hold high and struggle to lower my point of aim. I really have to force myself to lower the pin. Why is this?

Quote Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
    I've developed this problem. It seems when I try to put my pin on the spot I automatically hold high and struggle to lower my point of aim. I really have to force myself to lower the pin. Why is this?
    I don't know, but when you figure it out let me know.....I have the opposite problem. I hold low.....
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

he he he Target panic it is a hard monkey to get off your back.

People have told me to stop shooting targets and just shoot a plank bale. Do it for a few weeks. Just work on form, release and such. Then try targets. It is a mentel thing. I just worked past it by till myself it does not matter. I could care less if I score good or not. It made my score go from 250 to 288 to 290.
    Blank Bale.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

Default I know!

Quote Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
    The dreaded: Target Panic!
    Get a back tention release.
    Or lower the poundage on your bow.
    Or walk up to the target and hold on at 10yds and keep shootin and after a day or 2 move back to 15,20 25 etc.
    Its a Mental game your mind plays with you.
    Find articals on target panic,there are many ways to work on it.
    Hope this helps.
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

I believe the correct term is target freeze. I do not panick, I hold like a rock below the target and can fire off a shot with ice in my veins.
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Default target freeze

Boy that's me. I hold steady as a rock about 5" above the spot and then struggle like crazy to lower the pin.

Default Come-on!

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    I believe the correct term is target freeze. I do not panick, I hold like a rock below the target and can fire off a shot with ice in my veins.
    Just keep makin me them nice lookin wraps!
    Stop worrying about shootin that mean ol bow!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Quote Originally Posted by QSA View Post
    he he he Target panic it is a hard monkey to get off your back.

People have told me to stop shooting targets and just shoot a plank bale. Do it for a few weeks. Just work on form, release and such. Then try targets. It is a mentel thing. I just worked past it by till myself it does not matter. I could care less if I score good or not. It made my score go from 250 to 288 to 290.
    Blank Bale.
    QSA is spot on.

Target freeze (holding steady just below or above...above is rare) is a mild form of target panic.

There are a number of things you can try to work out of this, and blank bale exercises are good. A back tension release is another. But the very best is to have a partner talk you through a true surprise release....over and over and over and over and over again.

If you can hold just above or below and do so very steadily, you may wish to just adjust your sights for this.

I highly recommend Bernie Pellerite's book, Idiot Proof Archery. Yes, it is a challenge to get past the self-promotion...but the quality of the information included in the book is second to none.

you can put a 1/4 turn on your bottom limb and see if that helps or loosen your top limb a 1/4 turn
    PSE X-FORCE

Welcome to the club. I freeze below. Steady as a rock. So now I just do the ole drive by.....yippeeee. If I am shooting at a 3D target its fine though only when I shoot at spots do I have issues.

"HONDA"

Just remember it is not for the gold. For me all we get is a gift cet. for 15 to 20 dollars. I have had my ups and downs. I have been on teams and been captain. I shoot with world class archers. Most have so mean titles they have won. I could shake most guys up a little. But just keep saying it does not matter. Just have fun.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Record Keeper View Post
    QSA is spot on.

Target freeze (holding steady just below or above...above is rare) is a mild form of target panic.

There are a number of things you can try to work out of this, and blank bale exercises are good. A back tension release is another. But the very best is to have a partner talk you through a true surprise release....over and over and over and over and over again.

If you can hold just above or below and do so very steadily, you may wish to just adjust your sights for this.

I highly recommend Bernie Pellerite's book, Idiot Proof Archery. Yes, it is a challenge to get past the self-promotion...but the quality of the information included in the book is second to none.
    Very good book... and terry ragdale's book "holding steady" is good one also. You should try shooting at close range (blank bailing) with out a target for a week. Get your mind off shooting at a spot. Then move to a spot. Stay at 10 yds then gradually move back to your shooting range. Using a BT release will help tremendous. You got that mental timer in your head and trying to hard to hold on the spot. Your thinking to much. also try drawing back on the target with out shooting. hold it as long as possible on the spot.. Good luck!!!
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

raise your sights so you are aiming in the same spot but shooting bullseyes!

I had the same problem this summer. Only I was holding low. I quit shooting spots and started shooting my 3-D targets for about two weeks then when I went back to the spots it wasnt an issue. I know how aggrevating it can be. It feels like you are trying to move a truck and then when you get it rolling you cant stop it. Just focus on something other than spots for a while.
    That course was so easy I even missed a target !!

I am always trying to hold under.
    To me it seems that I am working to hard to see the X, when I cover it with the pin then I drop it down to see the X again.

I suffer from the same type of freeze/panic as JC does. I am much better now that I used to be, but it is still a battle. It really helped me to get a BT release and shoot with my eyes closed from 5 yds for a week and then moved back and did aiming drills from 10 yds for a week. After that, I shot rounds from 10 yds and slowly moved back one yard at a time until I was shooting from 20 again.
    Hook 'Em Horns

One thing that has helped me is to quit concentrating so much on the pin and focus on the center of the target. Let the pin find the target instead of trying to force the pin into the target. I know it sounds wierd but it does work.

TARGET PANIC ------------ IT'S MY BEST FRIEND AND IT WON'T LEAVE ME ALONE

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

What is Target panic? You aim you shoot, thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by AIFM View Post
    What is Target panic? You aim you shoot, thats all.

Just wait...Expect it when you least expect it.