You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Does this seem slow?

Hello All, I just wanted to throw this out there and see what you all think. I just bought a new Browning Myst. I have a 28" draw length, set at 68lbs, with 421gn carbon arrow. The advertised IBO is 301 to 309fps. I know that it is recorded with 30",70lbs,etc... I just had this bow set up on Monday and it has a tube peep, 2 eliminator buttons, 2 nocks( one for arrow other for Kisser Button), and the 2 string silencers that come with the hush kit. I am only shooting at 234fps. I realize that my arrow is a little heavy, but the guy at Cabelas told me I needed an arrow with a stronger spine. (I just switched over to Carbon from Aluminum right before I bought this bow). I tried a different arrow that was 38gn's lighter and picked up 9fps. Is there anything else that I can do to make it faster or do you think it should already be shooting faster? Thank, John
    Browning Myst
    Trophy Ridge Mantis V-Drive
    Trophy Taker drop away rest
    Cabelas 340 Carbon Hunter Arrows

Quote Originally Posted by jcscan71 View Post
    Hello All, I just wanted to throw this out there and see what you all think. I just bought a new Browning Myst. I have a 28" draw length, set at 68lbs, with 421gn carbon arrow. The advertised IBO is 301 to 309fps. I know that it is recorded with 30",70lbs,etc... I just had this bow set up on Monday and it has a tube peep, 2 eliminator buttons, 2 nocks( one for arrow other for Kisser Button), and the 2 string silencers that come with the hush kit. I am only shooting at 234fps. I realize that my arrow is a little heavy, but the guy at Cabelas told me I needed an arrow with a stronger spine. (I just switched over to Carbon from Aluminum right before I bought this bow). I tried a different arrow that was 38gn's lighter and picked up 9fps. Is there anything else that I can do to make it faster or do you think it should already be shooting faster? Thank, John
    You could remove the tube peep, 1 nock, the kisser, and the string silencers and gain some speed. Is this a hunting arrow setup???
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Yes it is for hunting. I might be able to remove one nock from the kisser and one button, but how much of a difference would it make? If I removed the tube peep what type would be recommended for replacement? Thanks
    Browning Myst

remove the tube

When I did I had to sight it in again because I was shoot 8-10 inches high at 40 yards and lost any arrow becuase it flew over the target and went in the woods

I would have them tie in a meta peep or something like that, you might have some rotation issues until you get the string broke in.
    Hoyt Trykon-390 gr.@280fps.
    Truglo Tool-less / 5-.019" pins
    WB/Double STS/S-Coil Stab./CSS Tunerz
    5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead

Does the tube peep slow them down that much? If I just take the rubber tube off will it work that way?
    Browning Myst

Without the tube the sight might not line up when you come to full draw, or it may be pointed up instead of straight ahead. With the size of the peep body and the tube your loosing anywhere from 5-10 fps. Any amount of weight you have on the string really hurts speed. Also with your string leeches, move them as far towards the cams as you can, all the way to the serving.

how do the meta peeps work without the tube are there problems with rotation and would a kisser button slow it down that much
    reflex growler limb driver rest viper h1000 sight scoil easton fatboys 2in blazers vainsmuzzy mx-4 rage 2 blade

1-Doe 4 point savin a tag for gun season

I shoot a kisser button, d-loop, meta peep, 2 leeches, and I have my string served where my sts is and my leeches are served in along with my peep site. All that, and im shooting a 385 grain arrow at 280 fps through a WB.

Hoyt Trykon
    29" Draw @ 65 lbs. 80% let-off
    The meta style peep will rotate and give you fits until your string gets broke in, after that they are golden, my string rotates a 1/4 of a turn during the draw cycle. The factory fuse strings and cables are garbage on the 05 hoyts but im going to shoot the crap out of them this year and put my TS1 wolfdens on next year.

A kisser button is probally around 5 fps, the nock point you might consider replacing with a d-loop, if you still aren't getting the speed you want look at the arrow instead of the bow. You could loose quite a bit on your arrow and still be safe.

fast enough to get threw the deer....whats the problem..i would switch arrows that would be my first choice.
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

I assume you have brass nocks sets, right? If you are shooting off the string then get rid of them an dite on a nock set. It'll serve the same purpose, but be lighter. Get rid of the kisser or the peep altogether. You can learn to shoot without one of them.

If you retain the peep then get one without a tube. Fletcher, Specialty Archery, and G5 (Meta) make good ones.

Although there is nothing wrong with the arrows you're shooting per se, you can get lighter arrows that will spine correctly. You could realistically drop about 50-60 grains from the arrow by getting lighter ones. You could gain 20-25 fps right here.

As mentioned, move your string silencers closer to the cam(s). Then slide the one eliminator button down there, too. Keep it away from the center and only slide it up when the other one breaks or rots.

When you get new strings don't get them from a shop. Order from one of the custom string makers such as Winner's Choice, Prostrings, Bucknasty and many others. If you want maximum speed then get them made from BCY 8125. Now you're going to hear about how it creeps, but not with these guys making the strings. Maybe 1/8" while they break in and then they're done. Do a search on "custom strings" to find out more about the benefits of them.

Just depending on how anal you are you could gain about 25-40 fps on the speed chart. Quite substantial.

The only other advice I'd give is to wait till after hunting season to do all this. You probably don't have enough understanding of the changes to be made and the speed you now have is plenty for shooting hunting shots anyway. You'll have the whole "off season" to play and learn.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

Quote Originally Posted by jcscan71 View Post
    thats also spec'd w/ a 350 grain arrow. Your at 421. sounds close.. My sons is set up 28" 64lbs. 348grn arrow and getting 252fps. We did shoot it to see how close the spec's were. 70lbs 30" draw 350 grn arrow and averaged 299fps.
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

[QUOTE=bfisher;74797]I assume you have brass nocks sets, right? If you are shooting off the string then get rid of them an dite on a nock set. It'll serve the same purpose, but be lighter.

what are you talkin about cuz i am tring to look into it but i dont understand
    reflex growler limb driver rest viper h1000 sight scoil easton fatboys 2in blazers vainsmuzzy mx-4 rage 2 blade

1-Doe 4 point savin a tag for gun season

[QUOTE=jetshowell;74878]
    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I assume you have brass nocks sets, right? If you are shooting off the string then get rid of them an dite on a nock set. It'll serve the same purpose, but be lighter.

what are you talkin about cuz i am tring to look into it but i dont understand

Missed the spelling. I meant to say "tied-on" nock set.

I got a away from brass nock sets a couple years ago. Did some chrono tests and my machine said that a brass nock set cost me 4 fps. And figiure I used to use two of them to prevent slipping. That means 8 fps just for that item alone.

I don't shoot off the string per se, but do use a rope release so the effect is the same. And in 35 years I've never seen a reason for a peep and kisser button together; one or the other. Clean the string off as much as necessary
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver