You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Close Call With Ebay Scam

I have a thing or two on Ebay for sell. I got an email just now from aw-confirm@ebay.com.

The email appeared to be a question from a potential buyer. He asked me what shipping would be to Alberta Canada and how fast he would receive it.

I didn't think much of it and hit the "respond now" button. That took me to an Ebay log-in screen. I got ready to type in my user name and password and the entire screen turned grey. A box popped up that said:

"Suspected Web Forgery -- This page has been reported as a web forgery designed to trick users into sharing personal information. Entering any personal information on this page may result in identity theft or other fraud.

I immediately went to Ebay's site and logged in and there were no questions on any of my items.....

I use Firefox and don't know if IE has the same warning system, but I though I'd share this........
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Site Guru

Ebay is riddled with fraud now. I finally sold a phone that took me 4 separate auctions to sell... I'm still getting "email from paypal" about the transactions that never occurred.

Ebay closed out 2 of the auctions, the third was a buy it now and I have to fight that one... *sigh*
    No I'm not dead

I get them every now and then...and I don't have anything for sale on Ebay...

Just Fwd the Email to spoof@ebay.com

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

We had something sim/last summer on ebay.Jeanne was responding to a paypal pop up that said they needed to update their files and for us to give them all of information again.I was out side and came in and ask what you buying now and she said..o nothing...just giving our info/credit card#/bank acc# to paypal so they can up date their files...Do What...to late.What a mess.Had to close everything out.We don't buy on ebay any more.

Yep...when I get an Email from Ebay now I go to Ebay first and check my messages...Same with PP

Quote Originally Posted by IChim2 View Post
    We had something sim/last summer on ebay.Jeanne was responding to a paypal pop up that said they needed to update their files and for us to give them all of information again.I was out side and came in and ask what you buying now and she said..o nothing...just giving our info/credit card#/bank acc# to paypal so they can up date their files...Do What...to late.What a mess.Had to close everything out.We don't buy on ebay any more.
    Ijust starteda pay pal account and have never used it, I dont goto E-bay, but everyday, I get an E-mail from a disbuted sale.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    Ijust starteda pay pal account and have never used it, I dont goto E-bay, but everyday, I get an E-mail from a disbuted sale.....
    Yup it sucks...just fwd the email to spoof@ebay.com and they will investigate it...maybe catch the SOB's

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Yup it sucks...just fwd the email to spoof@ebay.com and they will investigate it...maybe catch the SOB's
    yeah the funny thing is its the same e-mail over and over, never changes except for the date.......

yeah the funny thing is its the same e-mail over and over, never changes except for the date.......
    Yeah, just keep fwd'ing it...they will check it out...If there really is a problem w/ your ebay account it will be in your messages on My Ebay.

Yeah, just keep fwd'ing it...they will check it out...If there really is a problem w/ your ebay account it will be in your messages on My Ebay.
    I dont have a my ebay.......

I dont have a my ebay.......
    You don't have an ebay account...just paypal???
    and you're gettin ebay fraud mail...now that's funny...

You don't have an ebay account...just paypal???
    and you're gettin ebay fraud mail...now that's funny...
    yup......thats right!

I did think it was kinda weird......

Glad you caught this! I don't think anything would make me madder than having all my personal info ripped off.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

Wow I just got that email last week from Pay Pal asking to update my account and it wanted the Credit Card and all the other information. I thought it seemed suspicious. It said that if you didn't update by that Saturday the account would be closed. So I didn't update. On Wed this past week I purchased an item off ebay and used my regular account which was not closed.

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huya View Post
    Wow I just got that email last week from Pay Pal asking to update my account and it wanted the Credit Card and all the other information. I thought it seemed suspicious. It said that if you didn't update by that Saturday the account would be closed. So I didn't update. On Wed this past week I purchased an item off ebay and used my regular account which was not closed.
    Good thing you didn't.Once you register with paypal...thats it.I still buy arrows from a guy i have delt with several times down in texas but i send a money order....it's the only place i can get my xx78 pape's mossy oaks...

I buy and sell on ebay all the time. Rule #1....NEVER...NEVER...NEVER respond to anything or anyone from your email account. Always enter ebay through the ebay web site.