You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Peep or no peep?

Hi All,

My name is Joe and I am brand new to this forum, and to the sport of archery. I am currently using an old compound bow that my father used to use back in the 80's, but I am going to pick up a new 08' Hoyt Vectrix tomorrow, and I don't know whether to get a peep site or a no-peep. Which is better?

I do have problems with my peep twisting and losing visibility at night, but is a no-peep as accurate/more accurate? I currently face the problem of sometimes, the peep lines up fine, and I shoot semi-accurately, but other times, the peep is half turned, and when I aim, I end up missing about 5 inches left EVERY time at 20 yards. I would like to prevent this problem...is a no-peep the way to go? I believe in the "aim small, miss small" concept, so I don't think I'd want to go to a larger peep than a 1/8"...but is there an even more accurate alternative?

I will be using this bow primarily for target practice and white tail.

Thanks!

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

Can't help you much...i've always used a peep..but would like to say

Default anchor sight....

I too had problems with my peep sight and got tired of dealing with it, so I invested in a Anchor sight by archery innovations. I like them better than the no peep... If anything my accuracy has gotten better with the anchor sight. It only took a few shots to get used to it, now I don't think I will hunt without it.

BTW: I hope you enjoy the forum.

Hope this helps,

Melissa
    Melissa Vines
    ~~~~~~
    Mathews Drenalin

Quote Originally Posted by swintj1 View Post
    Hi All,

My name is Joe and I am brand new to this forum, and to the sport of archery. I am currently using an old compound bow that my father used to use back in the 80's, but I am going to pick up a new 08' Hoyt Vectrix tomorrow, and I don't know whether to get a peep site or a no-peep. Which is better?

I do have problems with my peep twisting and losing visibility at night, but is a no-peep as accurate/more accurate? I currently face the problem of sometimes, the peep lines up fine, and I shoot semi-accurately, but other times, the peep is half turned, and when I aim, I end up missing about 5 inches left EVERY time at 20 yards. I would like to prevent this problem...is a no-peep the way to go? I believe in the "aim small, miss small" concept, so I don't think I'd want to go to a larger peep than a 1/8"...but is there an even more accurate alternative?

Thanks!
    Are you using a peep sight that is supposed to have a rubber tube attaching it to the Bow? If so either the tubing is missing or is not proper length for your draw. Try a peep that is served directly in your string that doesn't require the rubber tubing. I prefer a larger hole in my sight 'cuz this old body came with old eyes and the smaller hole is OK in good lightening conditions but in the woods the bigger hole for me is better.

Site Guru

Get a peep. It will help you out a lot in the beginning. Once you know how to shot well you can decide if you'd rather use a No-Peep but you need to have your form down solid before you make that choice.
    No I'm not dead

Good advice Dredly, also is he using fingers/tab instead of a release and twisting the string?

I don't think that there is any question that you will be more accurate with a peep. It will keep the string, rest and sight all in line. I use a Red Hawk Low Light peep. It gives you the advantage of lots of light and sight picture with out sacrificing accuracy. The only disadvantage is that you will loss a few feet per second. That's just my 2 cents. There are a lot of peep choices. Take a look at as many as you can and make the choice for your self.
    Martin Cougar III SE Dyna Cam, Gold Tip XT arrows, Trophy Ridge Matrix 5-pin,
    Red Hawk Low Light Peep Sight, STS, Trophy Taker, S-Coil, Limsavers

Genesis 27:3
    Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go
    out to the field, and take me some venison;

Welcome...I never liked the no peep. Just couldn't get used to it...I say start with a peep.

I bought the hindsight no peep and put it on my bow. Found that you have to change your draw anchor because you don't look thru the string anymore. But rather you have to look more to the left of it. Definitely hated this. yanked it back off bow and put a fletcher hunter peep on. If your string is wound properly it aligns by itself every time. Now I back to busting knocks and arrows. Also I wouldn't have a tube on a peep. Friend of mine almost lost his eye because that rubber tubing snapped and hit him in the eye. He now has to wear sunglasses when the sun is out because of eye sensitivity. At least he can still see.

I use a peep sight, but my friend uses nothing as a peep sight he just lines the string up with the pins everytime. I dont know how smart that is but he does it. My opinion use a peep sight, it is just way easier.

Hi All,

Thanks!

peeps are the easiest way to get a constant anchor and center. If your having issues with string twisting. Go to a peep with a rubber tube style. It will line up every time for you. and yes 1/8" might be to small for light.
    try 1/4"
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

I have a couple of bows, and use both a Timberline No-Peep and an Archery Innovations Anchor Sight. I easily would recomend either one. BUT, I'd guess 99% of people use a string peep. You should be able to switch over to a tubeless on your new bow, but expect the string to settle some before it stays still. I would say most are using a big enough peep to be able to see the pin gaurd ring, centering the ring in the peep and use the pins for elevation. You may not have a round pin-gaurd on your dads old bow and you're using a small peep to center the pin in. Get a sight with a round pin-gaurd on your new bow, use a 3/16 or 1/4 peep (whichever sizes up right for your pin-gaurd) and you should be good to go. If you go the no-peep route and have questions don't hesitate to ask any questions you have.

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    I have a couple of bows, and use both a Timberline No-Peep and an Archery Innovations Anchor Sight. I easily would recomend either one. BUT, I'd guess 99% of people use a string peep. You should be able to switch over to a tubeless on your new bow, but expect the string to settle some before it stays still. I would say most are using a big enough peep to be able to see the pin gaurd ring, centering the ring in the peep and use the pins for elevation. You may not have a round pin-gaurd on your dads old bow and you're using a small peep to center the pin in. Get a sight with a round pin-gaurd on your new bow, use a 3/16 or 1/4 peep (whichever sizes up right for your pin-gaurd) and you should be good to go. If you go the no-peep route and have questions don't hesitate to ask any questions you have.
    This is an amazing discovery to me if this is accurate. What you are saying is, rather than trying to have the pin center in my 1/8" peep, try to allign the outside of the peep with the outside of the pin guard...that reassures proper allignment every time, and then, like the No-Peep...since I know allignment is correct because of the pin guard not being visible, then just look at the pins?

Is this what most do, or do most center the pin in the middle of the peep? Seems like a small difference, but whole different philosophy.

-Joe

Do you recommend the Archery Innovations Anchor Sight? Seems like that might be as good if not better than a peep?

This is an amazing discovery to me if this is accurate. What you are saying is, rather than trying to have the pin center in my 1/8" peep, try to allign the outside of the peep with the outside of the pin guard...that reassures proper allignment every time, and then, like the No-Peep...since I know allignment is correct because of the pin guard not being visible, then just look at the pins?

Is this what most do, or do most center the pin in the middle of the peep? Seems like a small difference, but whole different philosophy.

-Joe
    yes you center the peep with the sight apeture. not the pin
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

I believe I solved the problem I was having. I was lining up the center of my peep with the pin, and in fact you make the outer edge of the peep go on top of the pin protector! Thank you for all who helped! I have a spread of less than an inch from 10 yards, and a spread of 1.5" from 20 with my new Vectrix! Thank you!
    2007 Hoyt Vectrix

Sorry I did'nt get back to this sooner, it's been a long day. Sounds like your doing better? I don't know what sight you have on the Hoyt, does it have a round pin gaurd? If so, can you see the whole pin gaurd at once thru the peep? Thats what you want to be able to do.
    Now as far as the Anchor sight or no-peep, they're a good alternative if you can't or don't want to deal with a string peep. The Anchor is more popular now than the no-peep, it's bigger and a little easier to set up, and see. As for accuracy, they do fine for me, but I'm no pro. I do like it for hunting, especially at low light. But a bigger peep would do the same. I am simply used to using it. Like I said, probably 99% use a string peep, and I think those numbers say something.