You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How does German Shepard Taste?

I was in my stand last night with about 20 solid minutes of shooting light left. I had a spike buck standing about 15 yards from me and I could tell there were more deer coming, I could hear them and he kept looking up on the hill. here comes the neighbors dog, he almost got the buck and scared the rest of them up the hill. the dog almost got it.......lol Just goes to show you, anything that can go wrong when bowhunting, will go wrong. just one of those days i guess.

Huntin Junkie

They taste like chicken. Dog is not too bad as long as you don't know that it is fido that is on the table.

Where I work and with the locals doing the cooking, there is nothing they won't cook.
    Introduce a kid to the outdoors, the American way depends on it

If you can read this, thank a teacher
    If you can read this in english, thank a soldier.

08 82nd Airborne, 29" - 60 lbs - 300 fps
    Octane Hostage Pro
    Octane quiver
    G5 XR .019 sights, Meta peep
    Sims S-coil
    Carbon Force Radial X-weav, Rage 3-blade - 390 grn

06 Tribute, 27.5" - 284 fps

if its the kinda dog thats always out and doing things like that i would have let him have it! i got cats running around my place that are just tearing up the neighborhood there about to become target practice.
    FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!

he was too fast! he got within 10 yards of the spike buck before the deer took off. The ironic thing is he has a shock collar and the whole shabang, nothing works for him. I recomended a new dog for that nice collar. if he does it again, he may get it.

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

I'll be nice and put it this way.I Don't get up at 4am and go through all the things i have to do to get to my stand...just to have someone's dog run my deer off.I keep my hunting dog on a cable and on my property and i expect the people around me to do the same....that's all i'm going to say ...I love most pets "(I hate cats and nothing burns my a more than seeing some cat waiting under my bird feeders) but feel that if you own them you need to keep them on your own property.
    Last edited by IChim2; 10-03-2007 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IChim2 View Post
    I'll be nice and put it this way.I Don't get up at 4am and go through all the things i have to do to get to my stand...just to have someone's dog run my deer off.I keep my hunting dog on a cable and on my property and i expect the people around me to do the same....that's all i'm going to say ...I love most pets "(I hate cats and nothing burns my a more than seeing some cat waiting under my bird feeders) but feel that if you own them you need to keep them on your own property.
    nicely put.
    FBSA MEMBER

I have a few trophy cats. Well any way I think that in PA it is quite legal to shoot a dog that is chasing a deer. With your line of work I am sure you have a little pop gun to solve this problem. I would tell the owner that I thought it was coyote, if he found out.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

ummmm....funny you talked about this. i put a german shepard 6 feet under last season for the same reason. MR DOGGY MEET MR RAGE..they are really close friends now
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

I want to reply to this but my better judgement tells me not city folks that move to the country so they can let there dogs run find out that its costly to them in more then one way
    PSE X-FORCE

idk about german shepard but mutt is good if u cook it right .. i filled all 4 of my mutt tags last year

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Never had none but you can have mine. thank you.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by Colo_Lee View Post
    I want to reply to this but my better judgement tells me not city folks that move to the country so they can let there dogs run find out that its costly to them in more then one way
    Ive lived in the sticks all my life.......and...

Haven't you ever had your huntin dog get away from you??? Do you ever hunt with a dog??? Haven't you ever went coon hunting and lost a dog??only to find him the next day???

think before you shoot not every dog in the woods is evil.

Most people I know dont use a german shepherd for hunting.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by lungcutter View Post
    Most people I know dont use a german shepherd for hunting.
    I second that...Most every state has laws that clearly state you must keep your pets contained on your own property ....During hunting season...i strongly support that law.
    Last edited by IChim2; 10-04-2007 at 07:32 AM.

Nothing more fun and good practice that shooting ditch cougars.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post

Haven't you ever had your huntin dog get away from you??? Do you ever hunt with a dog??? Haven't you ever went coon hunting and lost a dog??only to find him the next day???

thats why i asked if this was a dog that does it alot. if its just a one time thing from a dog ive never seen then i wouldnt.
    FBSA MEMBER

He crossed the road and was approaching me while i was gettin geared up, then the owner called him back, 2 hours later is when he came in past my stand. He isn't a hunting dog, he is just out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by IAKSmith View Post
    Nothing more fun and good practice that shooting ditch cougars.
    Here in Mo,all stray dogs are Mt lions.

Have you thought about talking to the owner. Maybe if you let them know when you are hunting, they will tie it up. Especially if they know it might not come home next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post

I live in the country and yes I hunt with a dog for pheasents and quail and no I havent had a dog run off and i dont let them out to just run without watching them anytime I fork over $300-$400 for a dog im not going to let it run free its an investment I trane my dogs with a jerk line and shock collar
    I have seen first hand the damage your so called good dog can do to livestock more then once running horse threw barbed wire fence ripping the ears off calfs and chasing them until the calf die

I would suggest if your dog is running off on you when hunting let it out of the car mile or so before u get to your hunting spot and have it run along side the car or trane it better
    PSE X-FORCE