You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: bear encounter

Default bear encounter

I was hunting tonight at a new spot i had scouted twice so far. well, it was hot and i didn't see a single deer. After dark i started walking out about 3/4 mile back to the car. I was walking on an old road and i see something black about 20 yards infront of me. it starts moving so i stop dead. it's a bear cub maybe 40-50 pounds. well out pops another, then another then moma. see looks at me as i am backing away, pulling an arrow out of my quiver and swallowing my tongue all at the same time!!!!!! well i yelled at them and she turns and they all thunder down through the woods!!! It took me 40 minutes to walk in and i made it back out in under twenty! my heart was pounding the whole drive home! it's awesome the things you see in the woods....

good luck to everyone!

Jim
    have bow; will travel

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by jkg3117 View Post
    I was hunting tonight at a new spot i had scouted twice so far. well, it was hot and i didn't see a single deer. After dark i started walking out about 3/4 mile back to the car. I was walking on an old road and i see something black about 20 yards infront of me. it starts moving so i stop dead. it's a bear cub maybe 40-50 pounds. well out pops another, then another then moma. see looks at me as i am backing away, pulling an arrow out of my quiver and swallowing my tongue all at the same time!!!!!! well i yelled at them and she turns and they all thunder down through the woods!!! It took me 40 minutes to walk in and i made it back out in under twenty! my heart was pounding the whole drive home! it's awesome the things you see in the woods....

good luck to everyone!

Jim
    Backing up slowly is tha proper thing ta do with bear encounters it shows them that you are not going to invade there territory
    Also it is reccommended that you talk softly to em
    I always say good bear I am gonna leave you alone don't worry bout me.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Default hehe

I feel bad to who ever has to wash your underware

That is why you always hunt with someone slower than you.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lungcutter View Post
    That is why you always hunt with someone slower than you.
    Thats funny right there...choked on my cup of joe.

That would have put an extra quiver in my quiver. Mama Bears with their cubs have no sense of humor.

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoSkeeter0311 View Post
    That would have put an extra quiver in my quiver. Mama Bears with their cubs have no sense of humor.
    If that had been a big Brownie.....might have been a different story...and not a good one.

lol i had a bear stand up to me about 10 yards infront of me in W.E. i was so scared. i just put the gun up to her and she was like and ran off and didnt want to die. kuz i think she knew what i had. if not 22-250 > Her
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

Twins. That's good.
    Don't worry too much about Pa black bears. Natural Selection (hunting) for 250 years by white men have taken all the bold, brave, and aggressive black bears out of the gene pool. They're very timid.
    Wjich is lucky for us, because we got a lot of them, more every year, and they can get big. Mine was 677 lbs.

I had an experience like that last year on thanks giving on my property in the U.P. I woke up the first morning and looked outside to see about a half inch of snow.. I thought cool!!! Got out to my my pop up in the swamp about a 1/4 mile from our camper. As soon as daylight hit I made some real quiet tending grunts follwed by a few estrous bleets. Than about 10 mons. after I heard a tree fall about 100 yds away. then heard this real disturbing roar. I sat there and decided to get all my ammo out of my back pack and get them close to my single shot .308. About 15 mins later I caught something out of my right. Mind you I'm kinda in a funnel. With thick buck brush on both sides at 10 yds away. I popped my head out the window and seen about a 175 pound youth bear. My heart stopped pounding cause I knew I wouldnt have an issue with it. then I heard another tree crash about 40 yds away to my left. To thick to see that far on the sides. Then out of no where a.. I would guess about 450 + boar came out in front of my pop up at about 60 yds. He snarled and stood up on his back legs. then he charged the other bear off . I slowly started to back out of my pop up and started to walk back wards out to an opening where I could get a clear shot if needed. He followed at about the same distance. then the other bear showed up again to be chased off by the big boar. I jetted out like no-ones buisness and set on a stump about a mile from that location. About a 1/2hr later heard a roar again coming from the swamp behind me. I 2 way'd my bud to get back to camp. He followed me. the camper is on the edge of a 5 acre field. We watched the bear come out of the tree line and make a bee line at full speed towards at about 100 yds. We pulled out both of our mack 90's with the 90 rnd drum clip and unloaded it into the air. the bear flipped over and ran across the road. We called the dnr and they came out. this bear supposedly attack a car and tore a cottage up and ate 6 hound dogs lately. they did manage to find the bear and put it down. They said we were lucky to be alive. I guess that bear lost its fear of man and was real hungry... lesson learned!!!
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

2 weeks ago my buddy was trout fishing and saw a real cute little bear at the stream. The problem was that he was between the big ugle mom and the cute little bear.

he left all his fishing gear and ran back to camp with momma following for about 100 yrds. we didnt tell the wives till the last day.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER