You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Targets

Default Targets

Want to get a target setup in my backyard. Anyone want to share thier knowledge on any particular style or brand? I don't shoot competition, just like to "kill" paper and get ready for next years hunt. I tried using my dogs but they just run to fast.

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

Here's mine..There carpet and you can't wear them out if you tried...thousands of shots and they look like new.The 2 big ones are 5'x5'.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those are nice ... How thick is the carpeting??

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    Those are nice ... How thick is the carpeting??
    20 inches thick/deep........them targets are made from carpet squares that are 20" X 20".one of those big ones wght 2000lbs and they sit on a frame that is made of 3" blk angle iron.That small one wghts 150lbs.My friends are always comming over to shoot their bows....think i'll start charging them.On 2nd thought,i can't charge them...they always bring the bud lite.
    Last edited by IChim2; 10-04-2007 at 09:11 AM.

wow, they got a lot of weight to them. I was thinking of making one up for my basement but didn't think they would be that heavy.
    Doesn't take long to blow through a bag target if your pounding the same spots all the time.

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    wow, they got a lot of weight to them. I was thinking of making one up for my basement but didn't think they would be that heavy.
    Doesn't take long to blow through a bag target if your pounding the same spots all the time.
    If you can manage to find one of the old Morrell's you'll be fine... but you need the OLD ones, not the new ones with the flames (they suck).

Also, cardboard targets are still good, just take a while to get that much cardboard!
    No I'm not dead

Like Dredly said...lot of good things out there.....I just got tired of buying targets and scronging around trying to find things to make a target and i decided that wasn't happening anymore.I shoot my bows a lot...besides,it's turned out to be a good place to hang out with friends.Here's one last pic...the arrow always goes between the layers and it's easy to pull out.

The carpet is a great way, but I use layered cardboard then compress it with some racket straps. When you get s soft spot, just rotate it around or replace it. PLus I use a old piece of carpet in front of all it
    DXT/Drenalin
    Muzzy/Posten Stab.
    Beman/Tru-ball
    Bucknasty/CHL STS
    Tronjo/Sword Sight

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by IChim2 View Post
    Like Dredly said...lot of good things out there.....I just got tired of buying targets and scronging around trying to find things to make a target and i decided that wasn't happening anymore.I shoot my bows a lot...besides,it's turned out to be a good place to hang out with friends.Here's one last pic...the arrow always goes between the layers and it's easy to pull out.
    just curious... where the heck did you manage to get 2000 pounds of old carpet from?
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    just curious... where the heck did you manage to get 2000 pounds of old carpet from?
    I was wondering that too...mainly because I'm jealous and want to build one like it. What do you use to compress the carpet? Ratchet straps?
    Nick
    2005 Hoyt Vtec 28/70

2000lbs.....thats for one target .There's over 4000 lbs in them 3 targets.A local indoor archery range went out of bussiness and they had 9 of these...Jeanne bought 2 of them for me for Christmas 2 yrs ago.The bad part was going over and breaking them down...loading them on my 16' trailer and than bringing them home and setting them back up.Had to make 2 trips and it took all dang day to get it all set up.Those were new carpet squares that they bought from a discount home center and the owner had over 700$ ea in them and we got them for a Hundred ea.A bargan in my book....you can't wear one out.They still look and smell like brand new carpet.I keep them covered at all times when not in use...If you ever get to my neck of the woods..look me up...but don't forget to bring the Bud.
    Last edited by IChim2; 10-04-2007 at 11:11 AM.

If you can manage to find one of the old Morrell's you'll be fine... but you need the OLD ones, not the new ones with the flames (they suck).

Also, cardboard targets are still good, just take a while to get that much cardboard!
    Yeap I agree I got one with the flames and it didn't take long at all for it to blow out. I am still going to look for some carpet. I don't think I need that big of one for twenty yards in the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt_hunter007 View Post
    I was wondering that too...mainly because I'm jealous and want to build one like it. What do you use to compress the carpet? Ratchet straps?
    With large ratchet straps...but they're mainly use to just keep every thing together/from shifting arround.Their about as tight as a 5yr old could tighten them.They pretty much compress them selves.

Here's a pic of the small one...i will give it to the 1st person that shows up .I have enough to make another one too.

Here's a pic of the small one...i will give it to the 1st person that shows up .I have enough to make another one too.
    Very tempting... I don't live all that far from you. (Imperial Mo.). Roughly how far are you from St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by MoSkeeter0311 View Post
    Very tempting... I don't live all that far from you. (Imperial Mo.). Roughly how far are you from St. Louis
    Go south on 55 (5 miles) to 67 (bonne terre/park hills)exit than to the second (Farmington) exit which is hwy W turn right on W and it 2 miles....all an all a 40 minute drive.If you want one..pm me and i'll give you my phone #.

Great looking targets. I need a winter project like that after I kill all my deer.

"HONDA"

i like your sig...it is reallly reallllllllllllllllllllllly hot here. and im not hunting anymore.
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    Great looking targets. I need a winter project like that after I kill all my deer.
    I agree about the heat..It's been a freak of a year here in Mo and i'm done untill the weather changes.No since in stinking up stand area.
    Last edited by IChim2; 10-04-2007 at 05:43 PM.

My little huntin buddy Josh_Putman's Avatar

I am already there as I am having an out of body experience.
    Artificial intelligence will never beat natural stupidity.

The greatest thing I had accomplished in my life was serving my country, until I became a dad.