You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Southernfryedyankee's Avatar

Default ? about shooting from 20 ft in the air

I shoot 1 pin for 10/20/30 is there a set amount to aim low or high for each distance? I havent hunted from a tree stand b4. Will 20ft make a huge deal in an arrows trajectory?
    Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

http://www.godscountryoutdoors.net
    http://http://www.meanvarchery.com/home.html

Not typically, but I would suggest practicing from a stand or the roof of your house....something. Every bow behaves a little differently!
    Hoyt Trykon-390 gr.@280fps.
    Truglo Tool-less / 5-.019" pins
    WB/Double STS/S-Coil Stab./CSS Tunerz
    5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead

You'll want to aim a little low if you can't sight you bow in from a roof or deck. the angle will cause gravity to have less of an affect on your arrow causing it to fly slightly higher than where you aim. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Cablegaurd21 View Post
    You'll want to aim a little low if you can't sight you bow in from a roof or deck. the angle will cause gravity to have less of an affect on your arrow causing it to fly slightly higher than where you aim. Good luck!
    huh. i thought it was the other way around. i was told by my father to aim higher because of the angle. if you put it right on its gonna hit low is what he told me. so he told me to aim 2 inches below its back to hit vitals.
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

Quote Originally Posted by Cablegaurd21 View Post
    Yup
    Nick
    2005 Hoyt Vtec 28/70

You may be 20 feet up in the tree but the true distance would be from the base of the tree to the animal you are shooting. From 20 feet up the deer might be 20 yards from you but only 15 yards from the base of the tree. There are rangefinders out now that will compensate for uphill and downhill distances. I think they call the true ballistic range.

The same is true for uphill shots. You may think you need to aim high but that is not true.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by FredBearTRX32User View Post
    huh. i thought it was the other way around. i was told by my father to aim higher because of the angle. if you put it right on its gonna hit low is what he told me. so he told me to aim 2 inches below its back to hit vitals.
    your dad told you right....

So I went and shot from an elevated location I was a little nervous to get into my treestand. I would imagine that the overall drop was about 10-12 feet and I just eye judged the distance to about 25-30 yds. I aimed Low and shot right through my bucket that my target sits on and I was like WTH. My next shot I put my 10/20/30 yd pin right on the vitals and my arrow hit about 4 inches to the right (which was probably from bad form) but the elevation was perfect which surprised me. I re arrowed my bow and took a deep breath drew back and put the pin right on the middle of the vitals and that is exactly where my arrow flew. I didnt aim any lower or higher than as if I was shooting str8 on the target and my arrow was a perfect hit. Is it possible that the stronger the bow and faster the arrow that the arrow is unnafected by gravity on a larger scale than that of slower bows. I must have shot about 30-40 times and I had a 95% kill rate. I took a few 40 yard shots with my second pin and put the arrow right into the lungs. I will take a picture tomorrow to get an opinion of what other people think my elevation was at.

Default Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Southernfryedyankee View Post
    So I went and shot from an elevated location I was a little nervous to get into my treestand. I would imagine that the overall drop was about 10-12 feet and I just eye judged the distance to about 25-30 yds. I aimed Low and shot right through my bucket that my target sits on and I was like WTH. My next shot I put my 10/20/30 yd pin right on the vitals and my arrow hit about 4 inches to the right (which was probably from bad form) but the elevation was perfect which surprised me. I re arrowed my bow and took a deep breath drew back and put the pin right on the middle of the vitals and that is exactly where my arrow flew. I didnt aim any lower or higher than as if I was shooting str8 on the target and my arrow was a perfect hit. Is it possible that the stronger the bow and faster the arrow that the arrow is unnafected by gravity on a larger scale than that of slower bows. I must have shot about 30-40 times and I had a 95% kill rate. I took a few 40 yard shots with my second pin and put the arrow right into the lungs. I will take a picture tomorrow to get an opinion of what other people think my elevation was at.
    Its not gonna change that much,The answer to your question is that the Higher you go in a treestand the angle on the deer changes along with the placement of the arrow.
    If you are 25feet up and the deer is 15 yds away your shooting at such a steep angle the arrow will enter higher on the animal than you want, so you want to aim an inch or 2 lower to compensate for the entry angle.
    Out at 30yds it dosnt matter that much,and 30 yds is 30yds your arrow will impact the same.
    Where people have a problem is when they dont use a range finder or mark the distance of with tape,they jackup the tree and cant judge the distance properly.
    A good rule is look at a tree stright out from you,if its 20yds, at the base of the tree is 20yds but it looks further.
    Hope this helps.
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Quote Originally Posted by FredBearTRX32User View Post
    Ok now so which is it???? You are confusing me....what did he actually say.

I say aim below because arrow will hit higher.

"HONDA"

Default Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    Ok now so which is it???? You are confusing me....what did he actually say.

I say aim below because arrow will hit higher.
    You are Correct!
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    You are Correct!
    I know but he is a little confusing with his post.

"HONDA"

My bow shoots slightly higher when a elevated stand. I dont think that a 1/2 inch high when you center the vitals is enough to worry
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

Default Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by lungcutter View Post
    My bow shoots slightly higher when a elevated stand. I dont think that a 1/2 inch high when you center the vitals is enough to worry
    Its going to its the angle of entry change not the yardage change.
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    Its not gonna change that much,The answer to your question is that the Higher you go in a treestand the angle on the deer changes along with the placement of the arrow.
    If you are 25feet up and the deer is 15 yds away your shooting at such a steep angle the arrow will enter higher on the animal than you want, so you want to aim an inch or 2 lower to compensate for the entry angle.
    Out at 30yds it dosnt matter that much,and 30 yds is 30yds your arrow will impact the same.
    Where people have a problem is when they dont use a range finder or mark the distance of with tape,they jackup the tree and cant judge the distance properly.
    A good rule is look at a tree stright out from you,if its 20yds, at the base of the tree is 20yds but it looks further.
    Hope this helps.
    The main thing is the angle that your arrow cuts thru the deer. The steeper the angle the less chance of a double lung or a lung heart shot.

I'm just curoius why you want to be 20 feet up...
    I'm not being critical, I just want to understand the logic behind that aside from possible terrain issues that would make a left to right shot a different elevation than a right to left shot... I have been in stands like that before in trees on a pretty steep berm.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    I know but he is a little confusing with his post.
    no he is not.....read it again......2 inches below his back IS HIGHER than you would normally aim while on the ground......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    I'm just curoius why you want to be 20 feet up...
    I'm not being critical, I just want to understand the logic behind that aside from possible terrain issues that would make a left to right shot a different elevation than a right to left shot... I have been in stands like that before in trees on a pretty steep berm.

Ron
    I think it was more my form and the nervousness of not knowing what to expect that threw me off. once I saw my impacts at the angle I was shooting werent changing I regained my confidence and eliminated the change of elevation process in my brain. Does that make sense? I have never shot on a downward angle before. after my first shot I saw my flaw and corrected it and aimed right on and busted the targets out

Quote Originally Posted by Southernfryedyankee View Post
    I re arrowed my bow and took a deep breath drew back and put the pin right on the middle of the vitals and that is exactly where my arrow flew. I didnt aim any lower or higher than as if I was shooting str8 on the target and my arrow was a perfect hit.
    I aim where I want to hit no higher no lower...

I'm just getting back into Bow Hunting after a few years off. With the older,slower bows I think it was more critical. With the older bows I would mentally aim at a higher place on the deer than I would from a ground shot due to trajectory angle of the arrow thru the deer. Then (due to depth perception, the deer always seemed further away than he really was) I would drop down an inch or so on my actual aiming spot. I think the confusion here is that the sweetspot you want is higher but you have to aim a little lower to hit it.