You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Fixed Blade vs. Expandable

I am new to the world of archery and was wondering what was the point of an expandable vs. broadhead....any suggestions??

Banned

Expandables most times shoot more like a feild point. A fixed blade can sometimes have a mind of their own. You will get about 6 cazillion opinions on this subject. And welcome to the site

A fixed blade usually flies better and opens on contact with the animal. The only fixed blade I like is the Rage. Awesome wound hole. There are a number of fixed blade on the market that fly well. Of these I like the Slick Trick and the Muzzy's. You will get as many answers on this as you get responses. Find a shop that will let you try various stlyes for your setup and shoot them. Just make sure you match their weight with your arrow.

Welcome to the forum...
    It's all personal preference...The old expandables used to open over 290fps so they were no good in the faster bows but they have pretty much solved that...they do fly just like a feild point so there are less tuning issues...but some of the less expensive ones have don't open properly on hard quartering shots...so if you buy expandables buy good ones

I personally prefer fixed...I shoot Muzzy 3 blades and also some NAP Razorbacks...If you take some time to tune they fly just like a FP...

Quote Originally Posted by MoSkeeter0311 View Post
    A fixed blade usually flies better and opens on contact with the animal. The only fixed blade I like is the Rage. Awesome wound hole. There are a number of fixed blade on the market that fly well. Of these I like the Slick Trick and the Muzzy's. You will get as many answers on this as you get responses. Find a shop that will let you try various stlyes for your setup and shoot them. Just make sure you match their weight with your arrow.
    did you mean expandable there? I have never used either. But I have shot fixed Muzzy's and they were ok. I am not such a perfect shot that I can really tell the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    did you mean expandable there? I have never used either. But I have shot fixed Muzzy's and they were ok. I am not such a perfect shot that I can really tell the difference
    If your bow is setup and tuned right you can group Fixed blades and FP's together...

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    If your bow is setup and tuned right you can group Fixed blades and FP's together...
    I don't think the Alpine was ever tuned right

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    I don't think the Alpine was ever tuned right
    It may have been if the BH's were flying straight...
    if your center shot is off 1/16" your BH's could be off 6"...same with your nock location...

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    It may have been if the BH's were flying straight...
    if your center shot is off 1/16" your BH's could be off 6"...same with your nock location...
    I think I just sucked back then and didn't really pay attention to what needed to be done. I am much smarter now

Quote Originally Posted by MoSkeeter0311 View Post
    I think you man expandables fly better.. and rages are slip cam mechanicals..
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

OOOOPS you're right! I meant the expandables. Sorry and hope I never confused anyone.

Default Me!

I use Mechinicals or expandables which ever you want to call them!
    30years ago i used thunderheads then 20years ago i used muzzys
    10years ago i used Rocket mechinicals for the first time
    The last 10years i havent had a wounded animal.
    This year i switched to PSE-Brute 100gr mechinicals so far 1 shot 1 kill animal traveled 40yds,complete passthru 1/4 away shot and the broadhead i can shoot another deer right now with it didnt even dull the blades and went thru ribs on both sides.
    Im not saying shoot mechinicals im saying you learn from experance.
    Try both and you decide!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

the old standby.......

Muzzy 4 blade 100

Spitfire 3 blade 100
    I cut things up and split them down!

I use Spitfire 100gr mechanicals without any major issues. They're practice 'blades' are really good in that they don't tear up targets and group the same as the real blades.

I used to use some 3 blade conventional heads some time ago but I cannot remember what brand they were. I want to say they were NAP Thunderheads but I don't know that for sure. It was a while ago.

I'll put forth pros and cons of NAP Spitfires from my experience...

Pros:

No rubber bands or O rings.
    Fly just like my field points, I don't have to change anything on my bow when moving to the broadheads.
    Big cutting diameter.
    Never had a blade not open.
    Works with fast bows. ('06 Bowtech Allegiance 71#)
    Practice blades are really good and don't tear up targets.
    Replacement blades/cam-thingeys are easy to find.

Cons:
    Had a couple of blades break off , assuming due to blade-to-bone contact. I don't like the feeling of prying around in a gut cavity with a 'scalpel' you cannot see waiting to bite you.
    Can only shoot them into a target/animal 6 times before you have to replace the blades and cam/thingy... Not that this is a big issue with anyone since the practice blades are really good.
    I use a Quickee Quiver and sometimes the blades partially open as you put the arrow into the quiver. I find this to be the biggest issue with those heads. You need to check them before to nock them into the bow.
    They are not cheap.

Hope that helped...

Ron
    Last edited by Ronhop; 10-07-2007 at 08:49 PM.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    I use Mechinicals or expandables which ever you want to call them!
    30years ago i used thunderheads then 20years ago i used muzzys
    10years ago i used Rocket mechinicals for the first time
    The last 10years i havent had a wounded animal.
    This year i switched to PSE-Brute 100gr mechinicals so far 1 shot 1 kill animal traveled 40yds,complete passthru 1/4 away shot and the broadhead i can shoot another deer right now with it didnt even dull the blades and went thru ribs on both sides.
    Im not saying shoot mechinicals im saying you learn from experance.
    Try both and you decide!
    That wasn't what it sounded like to me at all KBO

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

I shoot Tekan II from G5 and they fly great! but they are a little expensive if you miss and can't find it (hasn't happend to me yet).

I also use the G5 Tekan II's, they fly great and really devastate whatever you hit. I put the extended cut blades on my Tekan II's this year, now they are 1.5" cutting diameter instead of 1.3125". My brother shoots the 3 blade rage and they work great too. I would say if you are just getting into hunting I would shoot mechanicals, just buy good ones not the cheap walmart heads, they are junk!!!
    Whatever it is you like!!!
    Hoyt Trykon-390 gr.@280fps.
    Truglo Tool-less / 5-.019" pins
    WB/Double STS/S-Coil Stab./CSS Tunerz
    5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

This is omo but feel that if one must use them...it should be with a well tuned bow.