You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default How important is F.O.C.

I know you want some forward weight but how much? I shoot 31 inch arrows(32 with target tips at 125) and would like to shoot 100 tips but it moves my foc to 7% and if i try the quick spin vane that will make it worse. What is the lowest % and what will it affect if i go to close to center?

I would not go lighter than 7%. I would try to stay in the 7-10% for target shafts but this is just my opinion. From my testing, if you go too light, the shafts seem to be effected by crosswinds more than the ones with heavier points.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Chris is right on in his reccommended percentages for target shooting.( in my opinion anyway.) For hunting, I like 12-14 percent F.O.C.
    What your F.O.C. does, in a basic way, is guide your arrow. The weight of the arrow in front of center is what guides your arrow towards the intended target, hopefully in a arc, with the arrow point leading the way. When a arrow is off in F.O.C., one type of 'wrong' flight is the arrow skimming towards the target without the arrow point leading the charge. Kind of like when you skip a stone across water. The front of the stone is up in the air a bit with the belly of the stone hitting the water for the skip.
    Hope this helps.
    Tweak, tweak, tweak...

And I would add that as long as you stay within 7% -15% you can tweek it to the bow - every variable in the setup contributes to the overall flight. I spent alot of time worrying between 9% and 10% while trying to maximize a long range flight and still shoot a broadhead. Once I got the numbers I laughed at myself because the distance is VERY minute and I don't know if a hooter shooter could show a difference between the two.

It is fun though!

Thanks for all the input. I guess i will stay with the 125 tips. Also i don't think the quick spin vanes are that much more heavy that they will affect the foc much.