You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default New Hunter.....maybe

I've never shot a bow in my life that I can remember. That being said, I'm thinking of trying my hand at deer hunting with one this year.

Am I going to die of frustration? How hard is it to become proficient enough to shoot? Could I pick it up with a few weeks of practice? I noticed a few starter packages for under 400 bucks online. Would that make things worse, or would that be a good place to start? I don't want to invest a ton in something I've never tried, but I also don't want bad equipment to doom my experience.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Martlet View Post
    I've never shot a bow in my life that I can remember. That being said, I'm thinking of trying my hand at deer hunting with one this year.

Am I going to die of frustration? How hard is it to become proficient enough to shoot? Could I pick it up with a few weeks of practice? I noticed a few starter packages for under 400 bucks online. Would that make things worse, or would that be a good place to start? I don't want to invest a ton in something I've never tried, but I also don't want bad equipment to doom my experience.

Thanks in advance.
    I would think, if you have never shot before, you would be better off shooting for a year before hunting. There is a lot more to it than just picking up a bow and shooting. It's not like a gun.

Default Take a Year to Learn to Shoot

What she said.

BillT

That's what i was afraid of. If i decide to move forward, I'll pick gear up, then shoot until I feel I can make an ethical kill at a reasonable range, then hit the woods and only shoot within that range until I get better. If it takes a month, so be it, if it takes 10 years, then I guess I'll have to live with that.

Welcome Martlet...

They are right...to a point
    You can become proficient to a degree in a month of heavy practice...but the chances of you getting frustrated and giving up...or developing bad habits is greater...

some people are naturals however and pick it up very quickly...so like you said get your equipment and practice hard for a couple weeks and if you are confident you can make a clean kill from a comfortable range...go for it...

keep us posted...and don't forget pics, we love pics...

and don't forget to practice the types of shots you might be taking, like if you are hunting from a tree stand. Ups, downs, angles......you know, all the possibilties

Oh, and

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Welcome Martlet...

They are right...to a point
    You can become proficient to a degree in a month of heavy practice...but the chances of you getting frustrated and giving up...or developing bad habits is greater...

some people are naturals however and pick it up very quickly...so like you said get your equipment and practice hard for a couple weeks and if you are confident you can make a clean kill from a comfortable range...go for it...

keep us posted...and don't forget pics, we love pics...
    I certainly will. Would it be a bad idea to buy a complete start-up kit online from huntersfriend? Unfortunately, I don't have an archery store near me with a range, and when I went to the only places I know of to look at bows and equipment, I couldn't find a single salesperson who knew anything about bows. I seemed to know more just from reading online, and I know squat.

here is a thread about Huntersfriend

http://3dshoots.com/forums/showthrea...=huntersfriend

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    here is a thread about Huntersfriend

http://3dshoots.com/forums/showthrea...=huntersfriend
    Ugh. That limits my options. I certainly hate living here.

Quote Originally Posted by Martlet View Post
    Ugh. That limits my options. I certainly hate living here.
    You're gonna do just fine, if you don't know anything about bowhunting thats okay. I'm sure that your state has a DNR office. Alot of officers hunt or know many people that do. They are generaly nice people so just ask an officer if he/she knows someone who can help you out locally. that way you can start a new friendship in the process. also if the officer knows someone that may want to help give them your # and have them Call you that way you know they want to help you! just a suggestion. Good luck and God speed!

I posted on a local shooting forum I frequent and got a tip on a small shop that people swear by. It's far away, but it just so happens that I had to be in that town today. I stopped in after work. The owner spent 3 hours with me between customers explaining the different bows, why some cost more than others, what the benefits were, yadda yadda.

I ended up spending more than I wanted to (about double ) and settled on a Hoyt with the trimmings. He took me to his range upstairs and coached me until I could consistently group on target at 20 yards. He says I'm good to go at that range, but to take longer shots (and improve closer ones) I'll just have to keep practicing. Then I can sight in my other posts and extend my range.

good luck and good choice hope you see something at least dont get discouraged
    reflex growler limb driver rest viper h1000 sight scoil easton fatboys 2in blazers vainsmuzzy mx-4 rage 2 blade

1-Doe 4 point savin a tag for gun season

Quote Originally Posted by jetshowell View Post
    good luck and good choice hope you see something at least dont get discouraged
    Thanks! Nah, I've been hunting since I was 10. I don't discourage easily. I've gone entire seasons with seeing nothing. It's rare, but it happens. If I don't get lucky with a bow, I still have shotgun and black powder seasons.

We are so thick with deer now I'll most likely see something, the question is will it be close enough for me to feel comfortable shooting. I'm going to stick to 25 yards, and not even sighting my other posts until I'm comfortable.

happens to me almost ever couple of day see a buck and its in som e thicket or i dont see nothin hopefully the cold weater stays and the deer start coming to the bait
    reflex growler limb driver rest viper h1000 sight scoil easton fatboys 2in blazers vainsmuzzy mx-4 rage 2 blade

1-Doe 4 point savin a tag for gun season