You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Back from PA

Default Back from PA

I got back a couple of hours ago. Me and the family went to my wife's aunt and uncles home out in Marienville. They and the aunt's parents own a couple hundred acres which also includes a small 20 tree apple orchard. It was unbearably hot the whole weekend but I still went out. I hunted the orchard as it's been dry there and it also had a small spring fed pond. The spring provides water for the two houses and has a large storage building to hold the tanks. I never saw anything on the morning hunts but the evenings were interesting.

I put my climber at the corner of the orchard about 10 feet into the woods, I had a clear shot at a pretty good radius. Friday night at 6:30 a big 8 point with the palm-like tines came out into the ordchard about 100 yards away, followed by a spike. I watched him work his way around for about 30 minutes when he passed behind a apple tree that was twenty yards away and was heading into my shooting lane. He needed about two more steps to clear the tree and I had already drawn when he stops, looks toward the storage building, then turns around and walks into the woods the same spot he came out in. I look toward the building and see some guy walking down the hill. He goes into the building and comes out with a ladder and walks away. About five minutes later a little 6-point walked out into the orchard from directly under my stand but he wasn't a shooter.

Turns out the ladder guy was a neighbor who figured it was ok to go down there even though he was told I was hunting down there earlier in the day.
    His reply was, that's alright, there are plenty of deer to shoot.

Saturday night I sat in the same spot but made a little ground blind out of bushes and saplings to expand my shooting lanes. Not a single deer came out during shooting light. As I was packing up my gear about 15-20 deer came into the orchard to feed. I was barely able to make them out. I stayed as quiet as I could and after I was ready to leave I shined my flashlight on the closest deer at about 15 yards. Of course it was a huge 10-point. As I began to walk they all headed back into the woods.

Nice trip, hot weather, plenty of deer. I will go back.

At least you are seeing deer in PA. With the heat it has been an interesting week to hunt. It has been very slow in the SW corner of the state. I have what to do with all the heat. All the water holes are drying up.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER