You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Venting.....Cousins

I've got a little hunting story for you all to read and comment on.

Here it goes, my brother and I started hunting a few years ago, we decided to plant a food plot and really do some habitat work to turn a straggling piece of private property into a decent place for us(2) to hunt. Well last season our 3 cousins decide to start hunting as well, mid NOVEMBER....ok, sure thing guys. What stands are you guys gonna hang??? Oh, well they just figured they could use ours, since they are already up, you know! So now we go from having 2 hunters to 5... Anyway, one of them decides to shoot a 1 1/2 year old 6 pointer on the run, some how managing to sticking it in the a**. Great job guys Well now this year, no need to think about shooting your bow until a week before the season right?? I get a phone call from my brother after I got down from my stand this past weekend..."the food plot paid off...twice." Ok, explain, well a button buck and a fawn got taken off the food plot by our cousins from our stands. Well here is the story, they got in before daylight, good, well 3 big does make their way into the plot before shooting time and get spooked off when the trail cam flashed..? Hmm, my trail cam has been out there for about 6 months, roughly 200 pictures a week, I find it hard to believe that the deer would spook that easy from the flash they are used to....but ok. Well my other cousin was hunting a different stand, but at around 7 he decided to get down and take a stroll over to the other stand on the food plot....ok! Well sure enough a fawn and a button buck walk in and bam, the fawn takes one in the spine at 15 yards, and the button buck gets it from the my other cousin. Well I am sure you all know what comes next, big ole family argument. Was I right to get upset with them after putting up with this for the last two seasons?? I will add these are the first two deer they have killed, I understand that, but off a food plot....come on guys, just sit tight and be patient. They share the mentality that if they can kill a 1 1/2 year old buck they are a better hunter than someone who can harvest 3 or 4 year old mature does. What do you do????????? Sorry for getting salty!
    Last edited by tnts79; 10-09-2007 at 12:19 PM.
    Hoyt Trykon-390 gr.@280fps.
    Truglo Tool-less / 5-.019" pins
    WB/Double STS/S-Coil Stab./CSS Tunerz
    5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead

Site Guru

basically my buddies and I hunt the same area every year we basically put DO NOT SHOOT tags on deer. ex: 2 buttons are running around, check the head for points before shooting.

What I would do if I were you is demand they split the meat 5 ways since there are 5 people hunting on the land, or roast em on a spit.

If its your privately owned property kick them off and tell them no more hunting. btw how old are they?
    No I'm not dead

This is a good one to watch over lunch! Since the arguement we have reached an agreement, finally they are on board with not shooting any small bucks and are on board with taking part in a much needed doe management operation this season. And a side note here are some of the bucks that I got off my trail cam, not to mention at least a 30:1 doe/buck picture ratio!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well you see thats the thing, is going to be their ground when my grandma is no longer.... Ages:15,20,24. I wasn't trying to come down on them for shooting the deer they did, they are just making some bad decisions and its really starting to p*** me off! I want to see them be successful but, not at the expense of everyone elses season, they don't pay attention to wind direction, scent control, PRACTICE.... Some people just don't want to be helped?

were they arguing over the size of deer shot?

No they want to shoot anything and everything that walks by, regardless. If I wanted to do that I wouldn't have gone through the effort to put in a food plot, scout, hang stands, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by tnts79 View Post
    Well you see thats the thing, is going to be their ground when my grandma is no longer.... Ages:15,20,24. I wasn't trying to come down on them for shooting the deer they did, they are just making some bad decisions and its really starting to p*** me off! I want to see them be successful but, not at the expense of everyone elses season, they don't pay attention to wind direction, scent control, PRACTICE.... Some people just don't want to be helped?
    Well if they are not respectfull enough of the time and energy you've put in to this then maybe they could find another plot of land to hunt. My sugestion for next season(since the damage is already done this year) is to tell your cousins they can hunt only if they help pay for, tend to, scout, and help manage the land they want to hunt. its only fair they put in the effort. plus I think once they start doing this they will mature into resectful hunters. just a thought. Good luck and God speed!

First off when you let someone else hunt on you land or lease. You have to make sure that everyone is on the same page with the rules that you have set. If they are broke or dont like what you have set into place send them on their way. I have done this with my place. It is a family farm but I have reduced the number of hunters to just 3 to 4 people. Me and my sons. I have made other family members mad but to bad. So if everyone is on the same page there should be no hard feelings if there is it is their problem not mine. I manage my place. To be able to shoot a buck he has to be 3 /12 years 8 point or better and a minimum of 15 inches inside spread and score at best guess 125 or better. I also require to take a doe if you have a chance she also has to be 3 1/2 years or older at best guess. No one on my place minds the rules that I have set into place. I also have other farms around me that follow the same rules. We have been doing the management thing for about 4 to 5 years and what a difference it has made. Last two years we have taking a 150 ten point a 142 nine point. Have seen two different 8 points one mid 130's and one low 140 class and my youngets son who is 21 and I saw a ten point 2 years ago that I judged mid 170 to low 180. No Trial cam pictures because I dont have one.

Mo.Hick

dress them up like deer and make the run around all day... i think the problem will fix itself!..... i would do like Cablegaurd21 said, make them help out with everything and lay down some rules that everyone can follow. if you cant follow the rules your out!
    FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!

Thanks for your responses, it's nice to know there are others out there that feel the same way I do about deer and deer hunting. Thanks again.

No Workeeee.....No Hunteeee

We have up to 9-11 people hunting our family farm of about 300 acres. It's kinda of a mess. One brother hunts , Well goes to his stand/cabin and screws around, invites his dipstick friends whom I can't stand. They might shoot a deer or 2. But basically they just cuts the amount of huntable land, for the rest of us that take it a little more seriosly, in half. Unfortantly my folks sold the farm when I was still in highschool and we all had to pitch in to buy it back. So kicking any body out ins't a option.
    O.K. I'm done venting... NEXT
    Where would America be without the "gun totting redneck"?