You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: IBO vs. AMO

Default IBO vs. AMO

Ok i am new to the whole archery thing. I just started with it this last deer season. I missed a six pointer a week before gun season and 2 days before i got my new bow. Anyways when i am looking at bows and their velocity it lists two speeds an IBO and an AMO. The AMO is slower but what is the difference

Thanks
    Baltimus

I think it's because IBO rules are set for lighter weight arrows. Thus, the increase in speed.
    Take a kid with you. Show them the Great Outdoors. Pass it on.

A.M.O.
    Under this standard the bow being tested will have a maximum pull weight of 60lbs. The arrow will have a grain weight of 540(9 grains of arrow weight per pound of bow weight). The draw length will be set at 30 inches. The chronograph used for measuring the speed will be placed at point blank range for testing.

I.B.O.
    Under this standard the bow being tested will have a maximum pull weight of 70lbs. The arrow will have a grain weight of 350(5 grains of arrow weight per pound of bow weight). The draw length will be set at 30 inches. The chronograph used for measuring the speed will be placed at point blank range for testing.

I think this is what you are looking for.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Boy, I think Chris got it covered pretty well.
    Now the only thing I would add at all is when you compare bows it really won't matter which system you use, just so you are consistent. IBO is the most commonly used now. But don't think that any bow you get will produce such speeds. The average hunting setup will normally produce something like 30-50fps less than any IBO ratings.

The only thing either of them is any good for is comparing one bow against another, and so on. If you want a faster bow after being set up, then you will have to start out with a bow that is faster to begin with----all things being equal.

Default Exactly

That is exactly what i was looking for. Thank you very much.

Brandon

Default Bow Speed

Also remember that speed isn't everything. Accuracy and quietness are very important, ore so to me than speed. But thats my 2 cents.