You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Question newbie questions

I recently got a bow as a present from my cousin, Im somewhat new to using a compound bow. I was told that the arrows fly more accurately if they are trimmed to fit the bow, can you do the trimming yourself or would you recommend taking it to gander mountain and having them trim it? how do I adjust the tension on the bow? do I need a special machine to truely adjust it or can ? get away with doing it on my own? how should I go about adjusting my sites? any pointers you think a newbie can use would be great. I dont get online often but I will check as often as i can. thanks for your imput. I will put what info I have on my bow online the next time i get on.

If you don't have any idea what the answers to these questions are, I think you should probly take to someone until you learn a little more. JMO

AND.........

Huntin Junkie

Take it to a bow shop. You can do some major damage to the bow and yourself if you are not sure. Most bow shops will give you some lessons on how to tune and adjust your bow. Your shop will be able help you select the proper arrows and draw length for you.
    Introduce a kid to the outdoors, the American way depends on it

If you can read this, thank a teacher
    If you can read this in english, thank a soldier.

08 82nd Airborne, 29" - 60 lbs - 300 fps
    Octane Hostage Pro
    Octane quiver
    G5 XR .019 sights, Meta peep
    Sims S-coil
    Carbon Force Radial X-weav, Rage 3-blade - 390 grn

06 Tribute, 27.5" - 284 fps

sounds like you need someone to show u the basics we can only explain so much so i would look for a pro shop near by and ask them good luck
    reflex growler limb driver rest viper h1000 sight scoil easton fatboys 2in blazers vainsmuzzy mx-4 rage 2 blade

1-Doe 4 point savin a tag for gun season

Take your arrows to a pro shop and get them cut to length. You need a high speed saw for this.....

If by tension, you mean draw weight, you simply turn the bolts that hold your limbs to your riser. You should turn them the same amount. Most bows have a 10 pound draw weight range. If your bow is a 70lb bow then with the limb bolts tightened all the way, your bow should pull 70 lbs. Do not loosen these bolts more than 5 turns each. Unless you have a weight scale, you will just be guessing what poundage you are shooting.

As for your sights. Follow your arrow with your sight. If you shoot left of where you are aiming the move your sight left. If you shoot high, move your sight up.

These are very basic principles and there is a lot more the affects your bows performance than these few things. Best thing to do is focus on one question, search for the answer yourself, then ask if you can't figure it out.

Good luck....
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

First off to the forum. Where are you from??? Maybe someone here can meet up with you and help ya out. You can definately get hurt if you don't know what your doing. And when they say take it to a pro shop that does not mean Gander Mountain. Unless you know someone who works there and know they are compitent. I have heard many horror stories about GM. Archery is a blast especially if you have friends or family to share it with but remember safety first. Good luck and have fun. JCMORGAN31 posted some great info for you.

"HONDA"

Take it to Gander and watch what they do to it...either that or buy a dvd on how to tune a bow. You don't want to screw it up by tinkering with stuff without knowing what you are doing! Welcome to the forum
    Hook 'Em Horns

Quote Originally Posted by Hook Em View Post
    Take it to Gander and watch what they do to it...either that or buy a dvd on how to tune a bow. You don't want to screw it up by tinkering with stuff without knowing what you are doing! Welcome to the forum
    Come on hook......I never watched the guys at Gander and I don't own a tuning video and I'm a bow tuning mini-guru....... ........Ok maybe that is a stretch......but I can turn limb bolts and adjust my own sight...
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Huntin Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    Come on hook......I never watched the guys at Gander and I don't own a tuning video and I'm a bow tuning mini-guru....... ........Ok maybe that is a stretch......but I can turn limb bolts and adjust my own sight...
    Be sure the screw the limb bolts all the way in first. I don't think that you would want to make one to many turns out. That would not be pretty. Bow explosions are not good on the bow, nor the one holding the bow.

I have a friend the bought a used bow and after about 50 shots the string broke on him at full draw. He escaped with only a minor scratch. He was lucky.

Setting up sights and rest can be done by trial and error. Backing out limb bolts and shooting an arrow that is under spined can lead to disaster or hospital stay. JMO
    Introduce a kid to the outdoors, the American way depends on it

If you can read this, thank a teacher
    If you can read this in english, thank a soldier.

08 82nd Airborne, 29" - 60 lbs - 300 fps
    Octane Hostage Pro
    Octane quiver
    G5 XR .019 sights, Meta peep
    Sims S-coil
    Carbon Force Radial X-weav, Rage 3-blade - 390 grn

06 Tribute, 27.5" - 284 fps

Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    Be sure the screw the limb bolts all the way in first. I don't think that you would want to make one to many turns out. That would not be pretty. Bow explosions are not good on the bow, nor the one holding the bow.

I have a friend the bought a used bow and after about 50 shots the string broke on him at full draw. He escaped with only a minor scratch. He was lucky.

Setting up sights and rest can be done by trial and error. Backing out limb bolts and shooting an arrow that is under spined can lead to disaster or hospital stay. JMO
    Well I am opening up my own archery shop so I'll join you guys in preaching the gloom and doom of self sufficiency. It will only benefit me.....
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps