You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    68

    Default Smacked me a little one tonight

    I hopefully got my first deer with a bow this afternoon. I shot a little doe about 15 yards complete pass thru. The arrow is covered with bright red blood to the point I can not see the color of my fletchings. When the arrow hit it took off like a race horse out of the gate. I tracked for about 50 yards. I think the blood trail could have been better. Being by myself and dark I backed out. I am going back in the morning at first light to get him. Hopefully the hit was good and the rage 2blade did it's job.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Werd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 62flint View Post
    I hopefully got my first deer with a bow this afternoon. I shot a little doe about 15 yards complete pass thru. The arrow is covered with bright red blood to the point I can not see the color of my fletchings. When the arrow hit it took off like a race horse out of the gate. I tracked for about 50 yards. I think the blood trail could have been better. Being by myself and dark I backed out. I am going back in the morning at first light to get him. Hopefully the hit was good and the rage 2blade did it's job.
    im going to tell you now. if it is a liver shot, its gonna run for 100-140 yards. my dad shot one first day with rage 3 blade 30 yards pass thru liver shot. ran ^^^ yards and died. got it cut open and the liver had the 3 slash marks. rage are so sharp they do no damage to the inner. but the holes we unbelieveable. you could mistake it for a rifle. and btw. his didnt really put out that much blood either. where are you located?
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    68

    Default

    I live on the northern neck of virginia.

  4. #4
    Evil Genius brokenarrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson Valley NY
    Posts
    5,305

    Default

    Good luck...
    If the blood on the arrow looked good it won't go far...Good choice not to push it last night...


  5. #5
    are u a fat boy? kbohunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Moseley,Va
    Posts
    3,237

    Default Ha,there bud!

    Hope ya find your deer!
    kbohunt

    Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

  6. #6
    Senior Member timberghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    173

    Default

    Any luck yet finding your deer??
    I CAN'T SEE YOU, AND I CAN'T HEAR YOU, BUT I CAN SMELL YOU AND YOU WON'T EVEN KNOW I WAS HEAR!! IT'S TIME TO DISAPPEAR!!
    THIS IS MY HOME. I LIVE HERE AND I CAN TELL IF SOMETHING IS OUT OF PLACE JUST LIKE YOU CAN TELL IF SOMETHING HAS BEEN MOVED ON YOUR BOOKSHELF!! I ONLY COME OUT AT NIGHT TO EAT!! AT THE SLIGHTEST HINT OF YOUR PRESENCE, I'M GONE!! EVEN IF I MAKE A MISTAKE YOU SHAKE UNCONTROLLABLY IN MY PRESENCE AND COULDN'T GET THE SHOT OFF IF --THUMP--SWACK!!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    68

    Default

    NO deer, 4 hours of lookin with 3 friends. Blood trail just petered out at about 75 yards. Went in ever wideing circles to about a 300-400 yard radius. NO deer no blood nothin. Looks like he got airlifted out.
    I felt like I did a good shot but I guess not. The arrow was totaly covered in bright red blood. With that much blood on the arrow and a rage 2 blade head with a 2inch cutting diameter, pass thru I felt I should have had more blood on the ground, even if it was a marginal hit.
    I am bout I am really aggravated right now. I have lost deer with a firearm before. It feels worse with a bow. I really wanted that little tender thing. I was looking forward to bow season so much now this. ARgggggggggggggg sorry just venting now.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Werd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 62flint View Post
    NO deer, 4 hours of lookin with 3 friends. Blood trail just petered out at about 75 yards. Went in ever wideing circles to about a 300-400 yard radius. NO deer no blood nothin. Looks like he got airlifted out.
    I felt like I did a good shot but I guess not. The arrow was totaly covered in bright red blood. With that much blood on the arrow and a rage 2 blade head with a 2inch cutting diameter, pass thru I felt I should have had more blood on the ground, even if it was a marginal hit.
    I am bout I am really aggravated right now. I have lost deer with a firearm before. It feels worse with a bow. I really wanted that little tender thing. I was looking forward to bow season so much now this. ARgggggggggggggg sorry just venting now.
    ill tell you what. somebody took it.with bright red blood im pretty sure it was a liver shot...but hey. you win some you lose some
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

  9. #9
    are u a fat boy? kbohunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Moseley,Va
    Posts
    3,237

    Default Man!

    Quote Originally Posted by 62flint View Post
    NO deer, 4 hours of lookin with 3 friends. Blood trail just petered out at about 75 yards. Went in ever wideing circles to about a 300-400 yard radius. NO deer no blood nothin. Looks like he got airlifted out.
    I felt like I did a good shot but I guess not. The arrow was totaly covered in bright red blood. With that much blood on the arrow and a rage 2 blade head with a 2inch cutting diameter, pass thru I felt I should have had more blood on the ground, even if it was a marginal hit.
    I am bout I am really aggravated right now. I have lost deer with a firearm before. It feels worse with a bow. I really wanted that little tender thing. I was looking forward to bow season so much now this. ARgggggggggggggg sorry just venting now.
    Sorry ta here that bud!
    Ya think the broad head opened?
    Ive heard something about them hitting deer and not opening on intry but opening on exit!
    I dont guess you could tell it might have opened on the ground.
    kbohunt

    Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    Sorry ta here that bud!
    Ya think the broad head opened?
    Ive heard something about them hitting deer and not opening on intry but opening on exit!
    I dont guess you could tell it might have opened on the ground.
    Well I wasn't and won't bash a broadhead on a problem that may be my fault.
    All I know for sure is I had a lot of blood on the arrow, and when I picked it up off the ground the blades WHERE NOT fully deployed. Now in the broad heads defense the arrow did hit the ground and slide across the dirt a little maybe that caused thme to close some? I don't know. I was wondering if it fully deployed on entry. I was hoping to recover the animal so I could tell for sure. 2 things I am wondering about why at the angle I was shooting didn't the arrow just stick in the ground on exit instead of glancing and laying flat on the ground? {I was 20 feet up the deer was 15 yards away in a beanfield.}
    The next thing I would think a 2 inch slice even in the hindquarter would bleed more than what I got. No where near the blood I would expect to get from a pass thru with a broad head with a 2inch cut. So yeah I am wondering if it opened right.
    If I go bow hunting again this year it will be with my montecs on my arrows. I know they will open.

  11. #11
    are u a fat boy? kbohunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Moseley,Va
    Posts
    3,237

    Default Man!

    Quote Originally Posted by 62flint View Post
    Well I wasn't and won't bash a broadhead on a problem that may be my fault.
    All I know for sure is I had a lot of blood on the arrow, and when I picked it up off the ground the blades WHERE NOT fully deployed. Now in the broad heads defense the arrow did hit the ground and slide across the dirt a little maybe that caused thme to close some? I don't know. I was wondering if it fully deployed on entry. I was hoping to recover the animal so I could tell for sure. 2 things I am wondering about why at the angle I was shooting didn't the arrow just stick in the ground on exit instead of glancing and laying flat on the ground? {I was 20 feet up the deer was 15 yards away in a beanfield.}
    The next thing I would think a 2 inch slice even in the hindquarter would bleed more than what I got. No where near the blood I would expect to get from a pass thru with a broad head with a 2inch cut. So yeah I am wondering if it opened right.
    If I go bow hunting again this year it will be with my montecs on my arrows. I know they will open.
    I wasnt knockin your broadheads i was wandering because with a 2inch hole (like ya said) you can hittem just about anywhere!
    Ive seen mechinicals hit stomach and rip it wide open the deer drop 100yds out so it wasnt you i wouldnt believe that,but if a mechinical dosent open its not much better than a field point.
    Someone on here killed a deer with the rage and someone replyed that the hole was small,the guy said it didnt open on entry but did on exit!
    Im woundering if some of these newer mechinicals are haveing problems!
    If ya want to try something different maybe next year try Pse-brute 100gr thats what ive been trying this year or what ive used for the past 10years Rocket hammerheads 100gr both use the band and both have always opened for me both open 2inchs the only reason i switched is that the blades are tougher on the Pse Brutes.
    kbohunt

    Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Similar Threads

  1. Whacked a little one tonight
    By tnts79 in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-02-2008, 05:12 PM
  2. Lots of guests tonight, over 100+
    By Chris in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-22-2008, 04:21 PM
  3. Is anybody having trouble with this web site tonight?
    By rdnkgrl_robinhood in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 11:28 AM
  4. I almost shot this tonight.
    By compoundxx75 in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 11:20 AM
  5. They are burying a Great Man tonight.
    By Pinky in forum Offtopic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2004, 11:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •