You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Nice 8 pt. Ct. whitetail

This morning was the day.I have been doping up a mock scrape(with urine right from source:me) in one of my better hunting locations,and have been getting some good results,regarding activity at the scrape,evidenced by my trail cam photos.This buck had been hitting the scrape pretty regularly since I started it.So this morning being the first cool day since the heat wave departed I decided to hunt this stand and see what was going on.When I arrived at my stand at 0600 hrs.,it was perfect outside;42 degrees and crystal clear with hardly any wind.At about 0710 hrs. I saw a small buck working along a ridge about 70 yards away.I was watching this deer for several minutes when I started hearing ground noise coming from my right.As I turned to identify the source of the noise,I noticed this 8 pt.working a scrape right next to the mock scrape that I had made.Right when I saw this deer I identified it as the 8 pt. from my trail cam pics.The deer was about 15 yards away with its vitals covered by some small saplings.After working the scrape over the deer started focusing its attention on the smaller buck on the ridge.This gave me the chance to grab my bow from its' hook and get ready for a possible shot. After several seconds the buck continued forward and stopped at 10 yards,now with a tree blocking its vitals.Knowing that this wouldn't last long,I came to full draw and waited for the buck to step forward.Several seconds later the deer did just that,offering me a perfect broadside shot.At the shot the buck mule kicked and started on its inevitable death run.In the process it fell to the ground 3 times before cresting a hill and tipping over.Total distance traveled was 45 yards.The arrow entered the deer perfectly on its left side cutting through a rib,both lungs and the heart before breaking the right leg bone on exiting that side.The rear 1/3 rd of the arrow remained in the deer with the front portion snapping off as the deer ran.The short blood trail was hard to follow with all the red spotted maple leaves lying on the ground.I shot the deer with my '06 Pearson Steath 67 lbs.@29".My arrows are 250 CX Maxima hunters with 3" sheild cut Trueflight feathers tipped with 100 gr. Silver Flame broadheads.Total weight is 366 grains.Arrow speed is 298 fps.The buck is a 20"wide 8 pt. weighing in at 184 lbs. dressed.I've been seeing quite a few deer at this location(lots of bucks),including a big P&Y class 8 pt.that I hope comes into bow range soon enough.the season should only get better from here on......I hope
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice deer, nice shot.

Default Great day!

Quote Originally Posted by rut View Post
    This morning was the day.I have been doping up a mock scrape(with urine right from source:me) in one of my better hunting locations,and have been getting some good results,regarding activity at the scrape,evidenced by my trail cam photos.This buck had been hitting the scrape pretty regularly since I started it.So this morning being the first cool day since the heat wave departed I decided to hunt this stand and see what was going on.When I arrived at my stand at 0600 hrs.,it was perfect outside;42 degrees and crystal clear with hardly any wind.At about 0710 hrs. I saw a small buck working along a ridge about 70 yards away.I was watching this deer for several minutes when I started hearing ground noise coming from my right.As I turned to identify the source of the noise,I noticed this 8 pt.working a scrape right next to the mock scrape that I had made.Right when I saw this deer I identified it as the 8 pt. from my trail cam pics.The deer was about 15 yards away with its vitals covered by some small saplings.After working the scrape over the deer started focusing its attention on the smaller buck on the ridge.This gave me the chance to grab my bow from its' hook and get ready for a possible shot. After several seconds the buck continued forward and stopped at 10 yards,now with a tree blocking its vitals.Knowing that this wouldn't last long,I came to full draw and waited for the buck to step forward.Several seconds later the deer did just that,offering me a perfect broadside shot.At the shot the buck mule kicked and started on its inevitable death run.In the process it fell to the ground 3 times before cresting a hill and tipping over.Total distance traveled was 45 yards.The arrow entered the deer perfectly on its left side cutting through a rib,both lungs and the heart before breaking the right leg bone on exiting that side.The rear 1/3 rd of the arrow remained in the deer with the front portion snapping off as the deer ran.The short blood trail was hard to follow with all the red spotted maple leaves lying on the ground.I shot the deer with my '06 Pearson Steath 67 lbs.@29".My arrows are 250 CX Maxima hunters with 3" sheild cut Trueflight feathers tipped with 100 gr. Silver Flame broadheads.Total weight is 366 grains.Arrow speed is 298 fps.The buck is a 20"wide 8 pt. weighing in at 184 lbs. dressed.I've been seeing quite a few deer at this location(lots of bucks),including a big P&Y class 8 pt.that I hope comes into bow range soon enough.the season should only get better from here on......I hope
    20 in.buck, what else could you wish for!
    Ya already had the best season ever,great job!
    1 question, if i had dropped that big boy id be smillin!
    Whats wrong ?
    J/J you were probably thinkin about how to drag that heavy weight boy out of them woods!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Nice buck...Congrats!

wow. it cracks me up how you guys can shoot these little deer. j.k. nice deer. thats a mounter
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

good one
    Darton Tundra Ext
    Darton pro 3000
    Blackhawk Vapor 3000

Great Deer Congrats. Now to find his big brother.......

Great buck. Great photo also. I like the arrows.

That's his game face guys. He is in the moment. YES!!
    I CAN'T SEE YOU, AND I CAN'T HEAR YOU, BUT I CAN SMELL YOU AND YOU WON'T EVEN KNOW I WAS HEAR!! IT'S TIME TO DISAPPEAR!!
    THIS IS MY HOME. I LIVE HERE AND I CAN TELL IF SOMETHING IS OUT OF PLACE JUST LIKE YOU CAN TELL IF SOMETHING HAS BEEN MOVED ON YOUR BOOKSHELF!! I ONLY COME OUT AT NIGHT TO EAT!! AT THE SLIGHTEST HINT OF YOUR PRESENCE, I'M GONE!! EVEN IF I MAKE A MISTAKE YOU SHAKE UNCONTROLLABLY IN MY PRESENCE AND COULDN'T GET THE SHOT OFF IF --THUMP--SWACK!!

Quote Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
    Great buck. Great photo also. I like the arrows.

That's his game face guys. He is in the moment. YES!!
    Thanks Timber.I hear it all the time about my lack of a grin.But I'm smilin' ear to ear inside!Here is a trail cam photo of the buck from a few days ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice rut!
    Greg Holland
    Owner of GMHERPS Hunting and Reptiles

http://www.imageevent.com/gmherps

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

Thats a cool rack...congrats.