You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Deflection!

Default Deflection!

I have killed three deer witht he MX3's. the first doe I killed was a pass through, but it was back through the liver, o.k. i gut shot her, but the arrow went straight through and she only went 100 yards. The second doe i killed I know the arrow deflected off a rib, but it deflected toward the heart and eventually passed through, she went about a 150 yards. I shot a buck last night, and I really don't think he was quartering as much as the final result showed, i really think it deflected again, but it didn't make it through the hide in the opposite shoulder. He didn't go far,only about 75 yards, but it was very difficult finding him. All three deer had tremendous damage, but I never had so much deflection with a broadhead. Just food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Liv2Bowhunt View Post
    I have killed three deer witht he MX3's. the first doe I killed was a pass through, but it was back through the liver, o.k. i gut shot her, but the arrow went straight through and she only went 100 yards. The second doe i killed I know the arrow deflected off a rib, but it deflected toward the heart and eventually passed through, she went about a 150 yards. I shot a buck last night, and I really don't think he was quartering as much as the final result showed, i really think it deflected again, but it didn't make it through the hide in the opposite shoulder. He didn't go far,only about 75 yards, but it was very difficult finding him. All three deer had tremendous damage, but I never had so much deflection with a broadhead. Just food for thought.
    I wouldnt worry about it, although I am gonna stick w/regular 100 4 blades, i got the blades for free so, it would be silly to switch when they work so well anyway.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Yeah, shooting shoulders isn't a good plan with archery tackle, no matter what broadheads you are shooting!
    Hoyt Trykon-390 gr.@280fps.
    Truglo Tool-less / 5-.019" pins
    WB/Double STS/S-Coil Stab./CSS Tunerz
    5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead

Quote Originally Posted by tnts79 View Post
    Yeah, shooting shoulders isn't a good plan with archery tackle, no matter what broadheads you are shooting!
    he wasnt "planning" for a shoulder shot, the deer was quartering and he hit the shoulder on the OPPISITE side.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Generally when you take a quartering away shot you aim for the back of the opposite side leg.....if you hit too far forward you end up slamming your broadhead into that opposite shoulder resulting in a minimal blood trail. An exit behind the opposite side shoulder and an arrow stuck in the opposite shoulder is the difference between a 40 yard track and a 100 yard track. Still both very dead deer, you just have to look a little harder for your deer with out pass thru's!

The angle the deer was at should have been a pass through, but it deflected into the opposite shoulder. I could be wrong, maybe he was quartering more than i thought, but either way, i got him.

Thats all that matters!