You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Arrow building

Default Arrow building

I am going to attempt building a couple of arrows to try to save some money. First question is would a slightly heavrier arrow be ok to use, I think I need a 340 but I can get easton 400s for $5 at the local fleet supply store.
    Next ? would a dremel tool work for cutting carbon arrows to length?
    I read somwhere else on here that you need a highspeed cutting tool and I figured a dremel might be fast enough.

Final ? would gorilla glue work to glue in the insert?

The reason I am trying to do this myself is that I can afford the ten buck for two arrows right now but my proshop will only do full or half dozens. I deffinitly will plan on going to the proshop next spring when I will have the money for it but right now I just want a couple arrows to practice with.

Thanks for any help.

Ted
    Proud Member of the F.B.S.A.
    Browning Summit II @ 64#
    Beman ICS Hunter 400's
    Muzzy MX4 100Grain

i shoot 70lbs and use 400s. u shouldnt see much difference. all the other ?s...no can do.
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

Won't the pro shop cut your shafts for you? It is important to get them cut straight and at a 90% angle to the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by thjacobi View Post
    I am going to attempt building a couple of arrows to try to save some money. First question is would a slightly heavrier arrow be ok to use, I think I need a 340 but I can get easton 400s for $5 at the local fleet supply store.
    Next ? would a dremel tool work for cutting carbon arrows to length?
    I read somwhere else on here that you need a highspeed cutting tool and I figured a dremel might be fast enough.

Final ? would gorilla glue work to glue in the insert?

The reason I am trying to do this myself is that I can afford the ten buck for two arrows right now but my proshop will only do full or half dozens. I deffinitly will plan on going to the proshop next spring when I will have the money for it but right now I just want a couple arrows to practice with.

Thanks for any help.

Ted
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    Won't the pro shop cut your shafts for you? It is important to get them cut straight and at a 90% angle to the shaft.
    I don't know I guess I didn't think to ask. DO you think he would charge for that?

Also, if I figured out a jig to get a perfect 90 Degree angle would a dremel work to cut a carbon? If so would I just use one of the cutoff wheels?
    Browning Summit II @ 64#
    Beman ICS Hunter 400's
    Muzzy MX4 100Grain

go for it. two arrows is not a lot of money if you go wrong. I dont see why you couldnt made a jig that would cut it dead on 90 degree. put a square on the arrow shaft and cutting wheel, get it square, lock it down and start cutting. a friend of mind made one like this, worked ok

Here is a idea, chuck a arrow in a cordless drill and lay it on it's side. Make a v block to hold the arrow shaft about level. use a peice of 2X4 and cut a v shape in it. Mark your arrows where you want to cut it. Have someone run the drill so the arrow turns semi slowly. Notice the decrection your drimel tool turns and the way the drill turns. Slowly cut on the mark. But make sure both tools turn backwards to each other. The dremel tool will cut it and the drill wil help make sure it is cut square.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

Quote Originally Posted by QSA View Post
    Here is a idea, chuck a arrow in a cordless drill and lay it on it's side. Make a v block to hold the arrow shaft about level. use a peice of 2X4 and cut a v shape in it. Mark your arrows where you want to cut it. Have someone run the drill so the arrow turns semi slowly. Notice the decrection your drimel tool turns and the way the drill turns. Slowly cut on the mark. But make sure both tools turn backwards to each other. The dremel tool will cut it and the drill wil help make sure it is cut square.
    Great idea thanks. I will try it this weekend and let you know how it works.

One more thing, do you think gorrilla glue will work to hold the insert in? If not what would you use?

Thanks,
    Ted
    Browning Summit II @ 64#
    Beman ICS Hunter 400's
    Muzzy MX4 100Grain

Yeap a dremel will work to cut them..

But

If you don't make a square cut you will pay a price...especially if your going to put a broadhead in your arrows.

Don't ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post

But

If you don't make a square cut you will pay a price...especially if your going to put a broadhead in your arrows.

Don't ask me how I know.
    No not broadheads on these. I just want some practice arrows untill I can afford to get the arrows I want and have them done right.

So what happened when you tried it? Sorry had to ask.
    Browning Summit II @ 64#
    Beman ICS Hunter 400's
    Muzzy MX4 100Grain

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post

But

Don't ask me how I know.
    If done right the drill will keep it a square cut.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

Quote Originally Posted by thjacobi View Post
    No not broadheads on these. I just want some practice arrows untill I can afford to get the arrows I want and have them done right.

So what happened when you tried it? Sorry had to ask.
    It worked no problem...just real hard to keep square....no problem with practise tips but when I put broadheads in and spun them there was a woble in the tips due to the cut.