You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Guru

Default Hunt it or Go elsewhere?

Where I hunt there is an excellent "honey hole" type area right on the edge of a field, great shooting lanes, open, excellent hunting spot.

There are only 3 of us that hunt the land in this area (private) and I went out yesterday to find that the other guy that hunts it has hung his climber from THE tree that you climb to hunt the area. I've been hunting the spot opening day and every saturday either me or my hunting buddy have been there. The owner of the stand was hunting in a different area of the hunting land.

I have no clue when he is hunting but its a safe bet he'll be hunting on Saturday AM.

So what do I do? Go to another spot and let him have it? Put up my stand in another good tree to hunt the exact same spot and let him ruin my hunt by coming in to get his stand and also upset him?

I personally am very upset, he did this intentionally as he never leaves his stand out but he saw a buck there a few days ago so now he is trying to put a lock on that area so I can't hunt it and he can...

we both have permission to hunt the land...

what would you do?
    No I'm not dead

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Where I hunt there is an excellent "honey hole" type area right on the edge of a field, great shooting lanes, open, excellent hunting spot.

There are only 3 of us that hunt the land in this area (private) and I went out yesterday to find that the other guy that hunts it has hung his climber from THE tree that you climb to hunt the area. I've been hunting the spot opening day and every saturday either me or my hunting buddy have been there. The owner of the stand was hunting in a different area of the hunting land.

I have no clue when he is hunting but its a safe bet he'll be hunting on Saturday AM.

So what do I do? Go to another spot and let him have it? Put up my stand in another good tree to hunt the exact same spot and let him ruin my hunt by coming in to get his stand and also upset him?

I personally am very upset, he did this intentionally as he never leaves his stand out but he saw a buck there a few days ago so now he is trying to put a lock on that area so I can't hunt it and he can...

what would you do?
    Been there and man thats a toughie.If he knew you(or someone)was hunting that tree/spot and he thought he'd get one over on you...than his..bad and i'd do what i wanted which is hang a stand and get there extra early and if it wissed him off...s happen's.
    CSS by MeanV
    FB Truth and a few Dartons.
    FBSA member

well that sucks....but i know on public land its who ever gets there first. you can try to talk to the guy and tell him that is your spot and see if he will go to another spot. if not just hand your stuff there a little bit earlier that him next year.
    FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!

Eat a big Deer Steak and then go take a huge dump under his stand. Sorry to here about the bad news.
    "We all must hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganHunter View Post
    well that sucks....but i know on public land its who ever gets there first. you can try to talk to the guy and tell him that is your spot and see if he will go to another spot. if not just hand your stuff there a little bit earlier that him next year.
    I don't hang my stands, I use a Summit Climber (exactly for this reason... first come first serve)

Its not "my spot" its a great spot but its not mine.
    No I'm not dead

How important is this spot. I think one of the biggest problems with hunters is fighting over "spots" especially when they don't own the land. I don't see a problem with hunting the same spot, cuz you never know who is going to get the shot. If someone is trophy hunting I could see them getting mad, but when you are meat hunting and the other guy get the shot, be happy for him and wait for your opportunity. The quicker the 'other' guy gets his, the quicker you will probably have the spot to yourself

go set up to where after u stick a deer it runs right in front of him and drops dead ... thatll show him how good his spot is

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post

what would you do?

bring tea and crumpets and climb the same tree as him....offer him a treat.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    But.....What if he doesnt like crumpets?

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    How important is this spot. I think one of the biggest problems with hunters is fighting over "spots" especially when they don't own the land. I don't see a problem with hunting the same spot, cuz you never know who is going to get the shot. If someone is trophy hunting I could see them getting mad, but when you are meat hunting and the other guy get the shot, be happy for him and wait for your opportunity. The quicker the 'other' guy gets his, the quicker you will probably have the spot to yourself
    its a pretty crucial spot to hunting the woods I hunt. basically its where the 2 main trails that the deer travel run close enough to get shots on both trails and its the last "huntable" spot before the fields, which have been left alone for several years and are 3 foot high weeds and young birch trees... its were a lot of the deer bed down and the bucks play. Its also right along side their other bedding area which is thick pine.

Hence why he hung his stand there. And now that the rut is on its THE spot to be because the buck that are out all night in the field will come in to the bedding areas to... well you know.

plus our season is almost over and we can only hunt Saturdays in this state... so basically I have 1 day left (flying to Maine on the 10th which is the last day) unless i take off some time next week.
    No I'm not dead

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Bman I did'nt know you were such a theologean
    fer tha Bible says ta "feed Your enemys"
    hey Dred
    tuffy.
    this guy is showin his lack of concern fer everybody,selfishness
    I would back off and let him have it,
    Not to my liking by any means
    congradulate him on a deer.
    he'll have ta think your one great fellar
    Now you have set yourself up to be blessed by God and have a clear consience that you have done the true sportsman thing. My $1 (Inflation)worth

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

This is why i hunt NF's.Lot more work envolved in it....but a lot less C
    CSS by MeanV
    FB Truth and a few Dartons.
    FBSA member

tmurphy

i agree hunters need to stick together, we have enough outside enemies without bickering amongst ourselves, have u tried talking to him and telling him the things u posted on here, i would start there and try to not turn it into a mess, possibly where the land owner doesn't let u or anyone hunt there. it is a tough spot maybe try to work out a schedule with him on who hunts it a certain times.

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tmurphy View Post
    i agree hunters need to stick together, we have enough outside enemies without bickering amongst ourselves, have u tried talking to him and telling him the things u posted on here, i would start there and try to not turn it into a mess, possibly where the land owner doesn't let u or anyone hunt there. it is a tough spot maybe try to work out a schedule with him on who hunts it a certain times.
    Haven't run into him yet, I'm sure he'll be there tomorrow but its to late then.
    No I'm not dead

tmurphy

i have had this same problem before sometimes u can work it out sometimes u cant it just depends on whether both parties can be reasonable, i have had it happen on public land and tried to work it out and that didnt work so i hunted it anyway and actually had the other person run a deer to me

tmurphy

well if its gonna be to late i would try to hunt it anyway maybe he wont be there, but if he is try to deal with it then is all, try to get there 1st most hunters will move on if someone is already there if they have any respect for their fellow hunters that is, i know if go to set up and c someone already there ill find another spot that day.

have you thought of this????

maybe he allready shot a deer and couldnt carry his stand out???

I would be making a phone call.......

find out his intentions......

tmurphy

have you thought of this????

maybe he allready shot a deer and couldnt carry his stand out???

I would be making a phone call.......

find out his intentions......

good point...

Quote Originally Posted by tmurphy View Post
    good point...
    I am not as dumb as Dredly looks........

Site Guru

I am not as dumb as Dredly looks........
    Hey thats not nice!

I don't have his number. ITs not like we are friends or neighbors, I know his first name and that he lives in the area... thats about it. Oh and no he didn't shoot anything, plus the stand is about 40 yards into the woods, very very easy walk.
    No I'm not dead