You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default To Stay or To Go...That is the question.

I don't know how many of you hunt the midwest, but I would like your opinions on this. On Sat Nov. 3rd I'm going hunting. I was wondering if you guys (and Gals) thought it would be a good idea to sit all day this early. I've never sat all day before the rut and I really don't know if pre-rut is a good time to stay in the stand all day. We are supposed to have highs in the mid 50's which is normal for this time of year, and the stand I'm hunting would be deep in the timber on a ridgeline (kind of a funnel). So My simple question is would I benifit from hunting all day if I'm looking to get a mature buck, or should I stick to mornings and evenings only? Thanks for your feedback.
    "We all must hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

the more time on stand, the better. My ace can't stand sitting all day, though.

well I can tell ya a good majority of hunters in general get out of their stands to early in the morning. An old guy told me once that the deer don't even start moving good until about 10:00 am in the morning. I thought he was crazy but ya know what the old guy was right about this part of the country. I used to get out of my stand by 9:00am in the morning now I stay till at least 11:00 am. If the deer are still moving at 11 I might sit there all day if not I get down and eat lunch and mess around for awhile then back in the stand and set there till dark. So the answer is you'll know in a couple settings if the deer are gonna move in your area. If it is gun season ya never know when a deer is gonna show up. Them deer get lead slung at em from all directions around here and they are constantly on the move after November 15th.
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

What kind of deer? If your deep in the timber, I would think the deer might move later then they would in like river and feild areas. It really depends on a lot, You pry will need to scout it and hunt some before you know for sure, deer in diff locations have diff habits alot of the time. I pry would Plan on a long day the first time, stay in their all day, just so you can learn what the deer are upto.

bucks are just startin to chase here in IL .. i had a 7 point come through chasing a doe last night