You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Getting Back into archery

It's been a longtime since I've Shot a bow, and recently dug mine out. It's a little old, with a top draw weight of like 40#. It's definatley not strong enough for me since I can pull it like it's nothing, I can't shoot from more than 20-30 feet or there is no accuracy (and it looks like it's lobing the arrows through the air than shooting them). Is it possible the strings are worn out?

Having said that, I found a PSE Team Fitzgerald bow for sale locally for what seems to be a good price with 10 or so arrows and a hard side case. Does anyone know anything about these bows? The one user review I could find said it was a very nice accurate bow. I'd like to get a decent bow that I can use for target practice and possibly hunt with (I'm still on the fence regarding bowhunting). I was told it has a 55-65 (or 70)# draw weight and a 28-30 draw length. Are these accurate specs?

Thanks,
    Dave

Welcome back to archery!!

Default Hi,Cougar!

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
    It's been a longtime since I've Shot a bow, and recently dug mine out. It's a little old, with a top draw weight of like 40#. It's definatley not strong enough for me since I can pull it like it's nothing, I can't shoot from more than 20-30 feet or there is no accuracy (and it looks like it's lobing the arrows through the air than shooting them). Is it possible the strings are worn out?

Having said that, I found a PSE Team Fitzgerald bow for sale locally for what seems to be a good price with 10 or so arrows and a hard side case. Does anyone know anything about these bows? The one user review I could find said it was a very nice accurate bow. I'd like to get a decent bow that I can use for target practice and possibly hunt with (I'm still on the fence regarding bowhunting). I was told it has a 55-65 (or 70)# draw weight and a 28-30 draw length. Are these accurate specs?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Back too archery.
    I shoot PSE and have shot a Dan Fitzgerald sig bow
    Pretty good shooting entry-level hunting and backyard bow,in the middle of the pse line 1st came out about 8 years ago and sold them until around 2004 of 05 so im not quite sure of the actual age bow your getting.
    I wouldnt pay more than around $100-150 for it,with the hard case and exc.
    When new you could pick them up at the box stores for $299-$399 like i said depending on the year.
    Its a good shooter,have fun with it and again!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Got the bow today. I'd say it's in nice shape. Also came with a Cobra and TruBall release, as well as a whisker biscuit that looks a bit like a "Whisker Biscuit Drop-Tine QS Arrow Rest" found at Bass Pro, except it doesn't have an opening at 10 o'clock. I'm going to take it down to Bass Pro in the morning to have it checked out, get a Tru-Nok put on, possibly get a new string if it needs it, and maybe a few other goodies.

What's the consensus on the Whisker Biscuits? The one I have seems to be "snug" around the carbon fiber arrows. If I'm not mistaken that means it's too tight? They seem like they might work pretty good.

Thanks,
    Dave

back to archery. With the WB you want a little bit of a gap above the arrow when sitting in the rest if its snug its not the right one.

"HONDA"

I think you want to upgrade the WB disc itself to one with the 10 o'clock opening. You should'nt have to replace the whole thing, just the disc. And as mentioned, it should'nt be tight on the shaft.
    Well, duh, I'm sure you've been to BP by now. Give us a progress report.
    Last edited by red44; 11-27-2007 at 11:55 PM.