You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
    IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

Default OK....nothing scares me ....

in the woods...but i went out to hang another stand this morning on a long ridge that goes off down to an old growed up field and with it on my back i was slipping along trying to be as quiet as possible and the wind was at my face and i stopped by a big pine cause i heard something and looked to my left and at aprox..40yds a hand full of wild hogs(ferril..sp)stood up from arround a deadfall and and while a few took off down the hill this one Big one stayed facing me like he was trying to stare me down...after what seemed like a couple minutes he finally turned and just walked towards where the others went.I have to admit that this guy(i've seen some big one's where i hunt but this fella was huge and jet black)worried me a bit...i didn't have any weapon other than my hunting knife on my side and i had a death grip on it.Has anyone ever known of these things being aggresive other than when wounded.I killed a few while on stand but have never been that close to one looking at me head on.I'm guess he was the boss and stayed back(not running off with the other's) for a reason.
    CSS by MeanV
    FB Truth and a few Dartons.
    FBSA member

They're blind as bats. If your scent wasn't being carried to him, he was probably trying to figure out what you were. The only way I think you would be attacked is if you cornered one, or caught a little shoat and it started screaming. They are protective of their young.

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    They're blind as bats. If your scent wasn't being carried to him, he was probably trying to figure out what you were. The only way I think you would be attacked is if you cornered one, or caught a little shoat and it started screaming. They are protective of their young.
    I know they don't see well and since i had the wind in my favor....he was just checking out the bit of noise or movement that he thought he seen....just worried me a little when he just stood there facing me.Wish i'd had the camera(i'd had plenty of time to take a pic)..man this one was huge.
    CSS by MeanV
    FBSA member

would have worried me a bit too....but I would have had my .45 on my belt so I only would have been scared for a second until he was laying there bleeding
    Hook 'Em Horns

i would have been using my tree stand as a shield!!
    FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!

If it was day light, they can see perfectly well for about 60+ yds. Be careful about those big ones and mammas with piglets. But now you have a perfect spot to hunt the big tusker. Just got to bait it. Good luck.

I myself have no experiece with wild hogs as we do not have any around here but I would love to bowhunt a big ole hog.....
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

Default Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by IChim2 View Post
    in the woods...but i went out to hang another stand this morning on a long ridge that goes off down to an old growed up field and with it on my back i was slipping along trying to be as quiet as possible and the wind was at my face and i stopped by a big pine cause i heard something and looked to my left and at aprox..40yds a hand full of wild hogs(ferril..sp)stood up from arround a deadfall and and while a few took off down the hill this one Big one stayed facing me like he was trying to stare me down...after what seemed like a couple minutes he finally turned and just walked towards where the others went.I have to admit that this guy(i've seen some big one's where i hunt but this fella was huge and jet black)worried me a bit...i didn't have any weapon other than my hunting knife on my side and i had a death grip on it.Has anyone ever known of these things being aggresive other than when wounded.I killed a few while on stand but have never been that close to one looking at me head on.I'm guess he was the boss and stayed back(not running off with the other's) for a reason.
    Ive been almost run over by a big boar on a hunt in tenn.
    we were stalking with bows and walked up on one bedded and he charged out of his bed stright at me.
    My bow went one way and i went the other and the hog ran where i was standing.
    After that i told the guide i wanted to get off the ground in a tree.
    I ended up getting this one at 28yds a 300pounder but the one that charged us.............I STILL WANT HIM .....................
    Heres a pic from 7 or 8 years ago and my Russian Boar!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Quote Originally Posted by j3dGuam View Post
    If it was day light, they can see perfectly well for about 60+ yds. Be careful about those big ones and mammas with piglets. But now you have a perfect spot to hunt the big tusker. Just got to bait it. Good luck.
    It was about 12:30 in the afternoon....i was going down the ridge i always hang a stand on for firearms season and noticed a bunch of turkey scratchings and turned up acorns.....than i noticed the pig droppings and figured they were around cause they had the ridge torn up and it was fresh....just didn't know how close they were.I was so that i didn't have my camera....that would have been a great pic.Anyway....i hung my stand and maybe i'll get a chance to see them again.I've taken a couple from that area before....not that big though.Where getting a good population of them where i hunt and even though they're bad for the forests they make for some good off season hunting.Also getting a few black bears there too.
    CSS by MeanV
    FBSA member

Quote Originally Posted by Hook Em View Post
    would have worried me a bit too....but I would have had my .45 on my belt so I only would have been scared for a second until he was laying there bleeding
    I got a lot of guns..but no hand guns....may have to change my thinking on that
    CSS by MeanV
    FBSA member