You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How many years.....

At what age did you start hunting and how many years experience do you have?

I started hunting at the age of 12 mostly rabbits and squirels. Killed my first deer at 16 and I have hunted just about everything there is to hunt in Indiana over the last 25 yrs.
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

I probably started about that age also. I mostly hunted squirrels with my 20 guage shotgun. I didn't start hunting whitetail until 1998.
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Does hunting sparrows and blackbirds with my Daisy Red Rider count as "starting"? If so I've been hunting for 25 yrs.

I started hunting when I was 27 years old in 1994. Shot my first deer with a bow 2 weeks into the 94" season. Hunted until 2002, when I had a motorcycle accident and my left hand was almost ripped of at the wrist. I just started hunting again this year with a recurve. Had hunted with a compound before.

I started hunting with my brothers and dad when I was about 17-18. I also hunted with my boyfriends dad, whom I was with when I got my first and only deer. then I spent a few years hunting with anyone that would take me. I met Brent and haven't hunted since

I started hunting when i was 5-6 with my dad, i couldnt shoot a real gun but i followed him and did as he did then when i was about 7-8 i got a .410 and soon after a 12ga. and now im 17 so its been about 11-12 years for me

Hunting w/SG at 14, took my first deer with a bow at 15 (1975). That was beginners luck. Went a heck of a long time till #2. Only hunter in my imediate family. The last few years have been great, but the increase in our deer numbers has surely helped that. I'm greatful for each and every one.

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

I started at 14 and the passion still seems to grow.You know....it's kinda funny that 37yr's later i can still hear my heart pumping blood when that big globbler or deer steps into veiw.
    CSS by MeanV
    FB Truth and a few Dartons.
    FBSA member

Quote Originally Posted by IChim2 View Post
    I started at 14 and the passion still seems to grow.You know....it's kinda funny that 37yr's later i can still hear my heart pumping blood when that big globbler or deer steps into veiw.
    Same here. That is whats keeps me going. Ya know it's kind of nuts, it's only a deer, why the heck does that adrenalin hit like that? Has to be instinct of some kind. Like when a cat is watching a bird and it's teeth are chattering and it's butt is digging in for the launch. Love it.

Started bowhunting in 1967. Back in the days when a Bear recurve bow was the cat's butt, we made our own cedar arrows using real turkey feathers that we dyed ourselves. About the only thing we didn't do was shape our own broadheads. Instead we used a 3-blade head called an MA-3, and glued Shick injector razor blades to them using Pliobond glue. OMG those bows were slow back then. Killed my first whitetail in 1970 in Michigan UP, a large doe. We hunted strictly on the ground from a natural blind. Camo clothing was either done at home by tie-dying a pair of tan coveralls, or from an Army Surplus store. My first compound bow was a Browning Xcellerator II in 1976. That was crude by today's standards. I now use a Ross CR334.

I started when i was 25 I think. I had never really hunted before because my family just wasnt in to that. A few of the guys at work bowhunted and talked me into trying it.

I was hooked the first time I went out and enjoy it alot. Even if I dont get anything I just enjoy seeing different animals and being outdoors. I have now been hunting 11 yrs. and get into it more and more every year it seems.

I have taken quite a few animals now and let tons more go by. It took me 3 yrs. to get my first animal ( i pretty much learned everything on my own by reading or experimentation,etc.) and have pretty much taken at least 1 animal each year if not more.

rick
    No catchy signature here.....

21 now, hunted squirrels, pheasant and rabbit since I was about 10. Started hunting whitetails in 2004, first deer was a 6 pointer with a reflex excursion at about 8 yards the second day out. Been hooked ever since, whitetails, phesants and coyotes are pretty much all I hunt now, occasionally a squirrel or two with my bow! This will be my first year going after whitetails with a muzzleloader, but bowhunting is by far the one I enjoy the most. A 10 yard shot is what hunting is all about!
    Hoyt Trykon-390 gr.@280fps.
    Truglo Tool-less / 5-.019" pins
    WB/Double STS/S-Coil Stab./CSS Tunerz
    5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead

im 28 now, started bow hunting at 12, my first deer was nice doe, shot her with a point blank ltd, witch i just retired this year! i love that bow!!
    FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!

started when I was 22. now I'm 25. I read everything I can get my hands on and believe half of it!
    "We all must hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

I've been in the woods since I was 8 with uncle showing me the ropes. at 12 killed my first deer. so I've been experienced to hunting for 30 years and hunting 26 years.
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Started hunting when I was about 8, but was the bird dog before that. Took hunters ed in 1969, so pretty much been hunting for 40 yrs.
    Bob
    If I can't hunt in
    heaven, I don't wanna go
    Shoot straight, and aim
    for the 12 ring.

I didn't really start until 2005 at age 33.
    Spent 2 years learning how to shoot a bow, this coming year will be serious on the course and the woods.
    5 firearms deer, none with bow yet.
    What was done with my pellets gun at age 12 was no hunting
    Victory Archery VForce Arrows
    Copper John & Specialty Archery Staff

I started squirrel hunting at 9 or 10, deer hunting with a shotgun at 12, and got my first bow when I was 14. Over thirty years of hunting.

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ross334 View Post
    Started bowhunting in 1967. Back in the days when a Bear recurve bow was the cat's butt, we made our own cedar arrows using real turkey feathers that we dyed ourselves. About the only thing we didn't do was shape our own broadheads. Instead we used a 3-blade head called an MA-3, and glued Shick injector razor blades to them using Pliobond glue. OMG those bows were slow back then. Killed my first whitetail in 1970 in Michigan UP, a large doe. We hunted strictly on the ground from a natural blind. Camo clothing was either done at home by tie-dying a pair of tan coveralls, or from an Army Surplus store. My first compound bow was a Browning Xcellerator II in 1976. That was crude by today's standards. I now use a Ross CR334.
    Thats funny... I remember going to those Surplus stoes trying to find camo that fit...and being a tad over 6'4" that was hard to do....use to take the hem out of the cuff's so my pants would be longer and i had to leave my jacket sleeves unbuttoned or when i straightened out my arm's it was like being in a restraining outfit anyone who wore camo all looked the same
    CSS by MeanV
    FB Truth and a few Dartons.
    FBSA member

Been hunting for about 48 years now, total. Bowhunting 35 years and shooting bow competitively (sort of) since 1973. I'm more into archery now as I haven't had a gun out for 17 years now. Maybe I should just sell them.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver