You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How big does he have to be for you to shoot.

I am a bit curious about some other areas of the country and what it takes for a buck to be a shooter there. In my neck of the woods which is Southwest Iowa it is pretty easy to come in contact with several 160 to 170 class bucks in a season. This is in the stand traveling thru rutt in the area you could see as many as 10 in this range in an evening. I am very blessed to be able to hunt where I do. I have anywhere from 10 to 15 stands out each year and usually only get to hunt 3 or four of them due to the fact that I run into a shooter in several of them every year and never close the deal or stay in that area until I get to. Many times I have passed up 140+ bucks even tonight I passed up a very nice 130 class at 5 yards. This was easy due to the fact that a buddy of mine was hunting one of my stands this morning and when leaving it he saw a 170 class buck underneath of my stand. He must have been sniffing my decoy. I don't know but he did not come thru tonight maybe in the morning wish me luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhuntinfordeer View Post
    I am a bit curious about some other areas of the country and what it takes for a buck to be a shooter there. In my neck of the woods which is Southwest Iowa it is pretty easy to come in contact with several 160 to 170 class bucks in a season. This is in the stand traveling thru rutt in the area you could see as many as 10 in this range in an evening. I am very blessed to be able to hunt where I do. I have anywhere from 10 to 15 stands out each year and usually only get to hunt 3 or four of them due to the fact that I run into a shooter in several of them every year and never close the deal or stay in that area until I get to. Many times I have passed up 140+ bucks even tonight I passed up a very nice 130 class at 5 yards. This was easy due to the fact that a buddy of mine was hunting one of my stands this morning and when leaving it he saw a 170 class buck underneath of my stand. He must have been sniffing my decoy. I don't know but he did not come thru tonight maybe in the morning wish me luck.
    Dude I need your phone number, address and directions. If you need some of those 160 to 170 class deers thinned out I'm your huckelberry.
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

3 1/2 + and 130+

Default No problem I like to take people out.

Quote Originally Posted by bullfiddle View Post
    Dude I need your phone number, address and directions. If you need some of those 160 to 170 class deers thinned out I'm your huckelberry.
    I have over 10 stands out now. Maybe next year you could yell at me and it might work out. I am serious about the big boys around here. I know my buddy at the bow shop said he had over 10 different Pope and young bucks on trail camera in the area he hunts in and it isn't but about 10 miles from me. They are all over buck to doe ratio may not be so great but I kill a ton of them too. Still it is nothing to see ten bucks between 120 and 150 class in a morning. This is a typical outing.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by bowhuntinfordeer View Post
    I have over 10 stands out now. Maybe next year you could yell at me and it might work out. I am serious about the big boys around here. I know my buddy at the bow shop said he had over 10 different Pope and young bucks on trail camera in the area he hunts in and it isn't but about 10 miles from me. They are all over buck to doe ratio may not be so great but I kill a ton of them too. Still it is nothing to see ten bucks between 120 and 150 class in a morning. This is a typical outing.
    Sweet
    maybe you could post us some pics of tha non shooters,
    it would give something ta drool over

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

I believe around here a Quality Deer is determined by adding spread and points. 8+17=25, 9+16=25 or whatever. I think the majic minimum number is 25.
    Where would America be without the "gun totting redneck"?

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

around here....as long as their off the teet.
    CSS by MeanV
    FB Truth and a few Dartons.
    FBSA member

In my 10 years of hunting I have only seen two bucks 130+. I shot one of them in 1996' with my bow and the other one was last week where I hunt now. There are good bucks here in Michigan. The buck I shot in 96' was on a friends leased land, he invited me to hunt there a few times. I no longer hunt with him. And the one I just saw this week was on my wifes grandparents 80 acre farm. Which they just now this year started letting me hunt there. They have about 4 guys in the family that have hunted there for over 20 years but they are only gun hunters.
    I see many very nice bucks in many feilds driving to and from my small hunting spot. I just can't hunt those lands. My father use to have about 40 acre I hunted and a saw small bucks almost every hunt there, never nothing of any size. But he sold the place. And its been slim pickens every since. I just don't know anyone to ask if I can hunt on there land. The places I have stopped and asked there is always someone else already hunting it or they just don't want any hunters there.

The good news is, my wife said as soon as we get the car and the equity loan on our house paid off I can buy my own hunting property. They will be paid off within the next 7 years !!!!
    aim small, miss small

Quote Originally Posted by IChim2 View Post
    around here....as long as their off the teet.
    I have to agree with this. I try to shoot does only, but won't pass on a buck either.

Michael

130+ on public ground, and 140+ on private ground. Try to let the 3 1/2s walk but sometimes its hard!
    Hoyt Trykon-390 gr.@280fps.
    Truglo Tool-less / 5-.019" pins
    WB/Double STS/S-Coil Stab./CSS Tunerz
    5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed View Post
    3 1/2 + and 130+
    Diddo to BuckeyeRed

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

I live in SW Iowa also, but Im in college full time and work on campus, so my hunting time is somewhat limited this year. My general rule is 4 years old or 140" and hes getting poked.
    Nick
    2005 Hoyt Vtec 28/70

Wipe the milk off his lips and let him have it. Honestly, I'll pass on button bucks, but I'll shoot a spike!

Ben
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

FBSA Member

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

I wish i had some of the options some of you have but i don't.I've taken 1 P&Y from were i hunt and i've seen a few more....but they are far and few inbetween.My deer only freezer will hold 3 deer and when it's full....i'm done and if i held out for a 100 class let alone a 130 i'd be eatin a lot of that store bought junk.
    CSS by MeanV
    FB Truth and a few Dartons.
    FBSA member

Quote Originally Posted by beenfarr View Post
    Wipe the milk off his lips and let him have it. Honestly, I'll pass on button bucks, but I'll shoot a spike!

Ben
    thats what its like in atleast northern MI the biggest buck to come off my property in a looooong time was a 10 that scored about 100"
    Parker Hornet 28" 70#
    easton epic 400gr. RAGE 2 blade

How do you guys get them to hold still to measure their racks and how do you get them to show ID to verify age before you shoot???

I let a 110ish 8pt walk the other day. He might not get so lucky if he walks by again....
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    How do you guys get them to hold still to measure their racks and how do you get them to show ID to verify age before you shoot???

I let a 110ish 8pt walk the other day. He might not get so lucky if he walks by again....
    i wish i had that choice
    Parker Hornet 28" 70#
    easton epic 400gr. RAGE 2 blade

Quote Originally Posted by I missed View Post
    i wish i had that choice
    No you don't.........you wish a 150ish would just walk in and make you decision simple.........

Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Quote Originally Posted by I missed View Post
    thats what its like in atleast northern MI the biggest buck to come off my property in a looooong time was a 10 that scored about 100"
    Yeah, I sometimes hunt in Lewiston, and deer seem to be few and far between. If your a meat hunter, and only have a week to hunt, you can't pass on too much. But lower MI, there are a lot of deer. My buddy has permission to hunt these farms where it's not uncommon to see 30 deer a day.
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post

Just put a little either in there bait pile...........
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder