You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Hey my buddy Bufford just shot a 150 or better out of one of my stands!

I will get the pics to you as soon as I get them from him. I just sat that stand earlier that day in the morning and left midmorning. He went out early afternoon and the deer crossed the field right in front of him and hit a doe in heat trail I had laid that morning and came in nose down and he slammed him at less than 10 yards. This is the third buck over 130 under that stand in 2 days wow what fun it has been this year. Like I said I will get some pics to ya as soon as I get them. It was an 11 point and the guys that went out to help load him both guessed him at well over 150 but he could go up or down. Good luck everybody I hope my really big one comes in tommorrow I had to take today off to do homework.

Default Here He is Guys and the big one shot under my stand last night.

The pictures are kind of screwwed up because my buddies digital camera died in the field so they videoed the deer and took pictures off of the TV I need to get out and take pictures of it but I't not real big on hanging pics. The second buck is one taken a few miles from us by another buddies nephew last year. He is currently on one that is much bigger. He has had him in and has video of him but has not been able to close the deal yet. Will keep you posted of any I see in this area just for fun. I may try to get some pics of ones I pass on this weekend or what I kill. I wish I had taken pics of the buck that came in at 10 yards with no tines left. He had very heavy beams but on a tine left on him not even a brow tine. When I hit the dominant grunt call you should have seen him split I think he peed down his leg on the spot. Anyway here are the pics. Sorry again for the poor quality.
    Bufford1.jpg

Bufford2.jpg

Bufford3.jpg

Bufford4.jpg

Bufford5.jpg

Dave's nephew1.jpg

Dave's nephew2.jpg

Holy crap, this is weird. I know Scott (guy with the last deer-huge non typ) I shot indoor leagues with him last winter in Red Oak. Small world huh?
    Nick
    2005 Hoyt Vtec 28/70

Default Real small world

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt_hunter007 View Post
    Holy crap, this is weird. I know Scott (guy with the last deer-huge non typ) I shot indoor leagues with him last winter in Red Oak. Small world huh?
    I just met him the other day one of the guys I have been putting in my stands is his uncle. He was just showing me some video the other day of some deer he had passed up. Wow would have been awful hard to do. I am talking big. I bet he passes up more P&Y in a year than some people see in a lifetime. By the way I live in Red Oak. Later

Sweet. I live on a farm south of Red Oak and to school there haha....
    Nick
    2005 Hoyt Vtec 28/70

by me in w. Michigan bucks dont make it much past 2.5 years. everyone by me has block permits and they clean out the bucks every year. two seasons ago my neibours got 22 bucks off of 600 acres, the biggest of which was maybe 110''. ive seen bigger dear up to about 150'' one i missed with my muzzeloader. so iff they live long enough my area could get some decent deer
    Target: Elite Energy, Copper John A.N.T.S., TT SS II, Posten 28" Victory X-Ringer HV 312gr.

Woods: Mathews Switchback, Trophy Ridge 5 pin, QAD Rest, Maxima Arrows

GO TEAM 3!!

Quote Originally Posted by dustinpedley View Post
    by me in w. Michigan bucks dont make it much past 2.5 years. everyone by me has block permits and they clean out the bucks every year. two seasons ago my neibours got 22 bucks off of 600 acres, the biggest of which was maybe 110''. ive seen bigger dear up to about 150'' one i missed with my muzzeloader. so iff they live long enough my area could get some decent deer

its like that im most of the state!
    FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!

What is your DNR thinking? How many buck tags do you get?

It turns out bowhuntinfordeer and I hunt near eachother, the first buck pictured was shot about 4 miles from my hunting spot. crazy stuff huh?
    Nick
    2005 Hoyt Vtec 28/70

I hunt in East Texas, Crockett to be exact. They (Texas Parks & Wild Life) now have a 13" spread rule, due to the fact of some people are shooting everything they see. Well the rule goes for alot of counties in the state. I know there are a few big bucks around the area, but you're lucky to see a 10 point walking around. Most of the bucks are also very narrow. We're actually getting excited to see an 8 point on our cameras. I don't know how to score a buck with B&C or P&Y. Heck I don't even know the difference between the two scoring scales.

Default I only get 2 bucks a year and its okay thats what makes next year always look so good

It turns out bowhuntinfordeer and I hunt near eachother, the first buck pictured was shot about 4 miles from my hunting spot. crazy stuff huh?
    When I have the time and know that Montgomery county allows so many antlerless tags I generally take 5 to 6 does just to help the deer herds in the areas I hunt as well as to fill my freezer. With that you can only take 2 bucks in Iowa in any two seasons( unless using a landowners tag). The first of which I take with a bow and the second I take with a muzzleloader. In the past I have taken many younger basket size bucks but have since changed my ideals. I believe in filling my tags but I also believe that the button bucks and younger unmature bucks should be left alone. Anything with antlers is not a good buck. I think it is comes with maturity in my case. I spent many years shotgun hunting while I bow hunted and found that the shotgun hunt was fun just to see how many deer were in the area in sheer numbers but the testosterone and luck invovled with the guys I hunted with got to be too much for me. I was so tired of the baby factor. I got one bigger than you did or I have been scouting this area for weeks and that isn't fair that you shot him on the first day(meaning I have been riding around drinking beer glassing deer for weeks from the inside of my truck I never got out of the truck or think about how little you could possibly know about their patterns considering that rutt just ended and they are completly unpedictable) Sorry bad memories and hard feelings. I am an avid sportsman and I believe that you can't call yourself a hunter unless you put in the time and legwork it takes to be good at it. So in case you can't tell I don't shotgun hunt anymore and I love to hunt with a bow and muzzleloader. Anybody else feel the same way or had any similiar experiences.
    Last edited by bowhuntinfordeer; 11-08-2007 at 04:25 PM. Reason: No title

Size would depend on how empty me freezer is or how far I got to pack out the animal. Packing out of a tropical forest is not fun. The humidity and heat can kill you if your not careful and you got to get the deer out quickly because of the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhuntinfordeer View Post
    When I have the time and know that Montgomery county allows so many antlerless tags I generally take 5 to 6 does just to help the deer herds in the areas I hunt as well as to fill my freezer. With that you can only take 2 bucks in Iowa in any two seasons( unless using a landowners tag). The first of which I take with a bow and the second I take with a muzzleloader. In the past I have taken many younger basket size bucks but have since changed my ideals. I believe in filling my tags but I also believe that the button bucks and younger unmature bucks should be left alone. Anything with antlers is not a good buck. I think it is comes with maturity in my case. I spent many years shotgun hunting while I bow hunted and found that the shotgun hunt was fun just to see how many deer were in the area in sheer numbers but the testosterone and luck invovled with the guys I hunted with got to be too much for me. I was so tired of the baby factor. I got one bigger than you did or I have been scouting this area for weeks and that isn't fair that you shot him on the first day(meaning I have been riding around drinking beer glassing deer for weeks from the inside of my truck I never got out of the truck or think about how little you could possibly know about their patterns considering that rutt just ended and they are completly unpedictable) Sorry bad memories and hard feelings. I am an avid sportsman and I believe that you can't call yourself a hunter unless you put in the time and legwork it takes to be good at it. So in case you can't tell I don't shotgun hunt anymore and I love to hunt with a bow and muzzleloader. Anybody else feel the same way or had any similiar experiences.

I know how many buck tags you get haha....I was talking about the guy in Michigan who says they shot 22 bucks in one 600 acre area.

I agree with everything you said. I too started hunting with a shotgun because thats what my family has always done. Once i started bow and muzzleloader hunting, i couldn't care less about shotgun. I still shotgun hunt with my family, but use the opportunity to kill 2-3 does and save my 2nd buck tag for late muzzleloader. Once my dad and uncles are too old to hunt anymore, i will probably quit shotgun hunting altogether. There's just not much skill required in gun hunting. You go sit somewhere and have someone spook the deer your way. It is fun, but more like target practice than "hunting." Really Iowa's seasons are set up in favor of the bowhunters, as the rut is basically over by the time gun season starts, so you're cheating yourself by not bowhunting.
    Nick
    2005 Hoyt Vtec 28/70

Default Wow that is exactly how I have felt for years!

I know how many buck tags you get haha....I was talking about the guy in Michigan who says they shot 22 bucks in one 600 acre area.

I agree with everything you said. I too started hunting with a shotgun because thats what my family has always done. Once i started bow and muzzleloader hunting, i couldn't care less about shotgun. I still shotgun hunt with my family, but use the opportunity to kill 2-3 does and save my 2nd buck tag for late muzzleloader. Once my dad and uncles are too old to hunt anymore, i will probably quit shotgun hunting altogether. There's just not much skill required in gun hunting. You go sit somewhere and have someone spook the deer your way. It is fun, but more like target practice than "hunting." Really Iowa's seasons are set up in favor of the bowhunters, as the rut is basically over by the time gun season starts, so you're cheating yourself by not bowhunting.
    I have felt that way and helped tons of friends get into bowhunting for that same reason they had all been complaining for years about never getting a shot at a big buck. They also complained about never being in the right place at the right time. After they found out that they could play a big part in their own fate they converted to bowhunting and found it to be quite gratifying.

Default Well!

If im hunting public land anything but no fawns.
    At my huntclub on 2000acres im competeing with about 8 bow and X-bow hunters who hunt the land and scout the land hard so i am a little selective
    But usually bucks only and after i take a 6pt or small 8pt and get one in the freezer i go after something bigger.
    I just came off of a hunt where i turned down 3 deer in the 130-140 class
    And missed a 180+class
    Here are 2 i took last year a 104 and 109 i wouldnt turn my back on shooting these 2 bucks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

In Michigan Farmers can get block permits to kill off the deer on their private property, to help lessen crop damage.

Ben
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by beenfarr View Post
    In Michigan Farmers can get block permits to kill off the deer on their private property, to help lessen crop damage.

Ben
    Thats dumb, they should make them shoot antlerless deer if they want to bring down the population.
    Nick
    2005 Hoyt Vtec 28/70

Default Qdm

I practise strick QDM,their all quality to me.....................
    2010 PSE AXE 7

we can get a combo tag which allows 2 bucks, one has to have at least 4 points one one side of at least 1'' in length, the other can be anything. farmers can get a block permit which meant they can shoot just about as many deer as they want. i also live in the shotgun only zone and my neibours have bipods mounted on their combines for their .270's. theres not really anything we can do about it
    Target: Elite Energy, Copper John A.N.T.S., TT SS II, Posten 28" Victory X-Ringer HV 312gr.

Woods: Mathews Switchback, Trophy Ridge 5 pin, QAD Rest, Maxima Arrows

GO TEAM 3!!

we can get a combo tag which allows 2 bucks, one has to have at least 4 points one one side of at least 1'' in length, the other can be anything. farmers can get a block permit which meant they can shoot just about as many deer as they want. i also live in the shotgun only zone and my neibours have bipods mounted on their combines for their .270's. theres not really anything we can do about it
    That sucks, what a crappy herd management system.

And the thing is, you probably dont have any less crop damage than any other state.
    Nick
    2005 Hoyt Vtec 28/70

Default Lost One today

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    If im hunting public land anything but no fawns.
    At my huntclub on 2000acres im competeing with about 8 bow and X-bow hunters who hunt the land and scout the land hard so i am a little selective
    But usually bucks only and after i take a 6pt or small 8pt and get one in the freezer i go after something bigger.
    I just came off of a hunt where i turned down 3 deer in the 130-140 class
    And missed a 180+class
    Here are 2 i took last year a 104 and 109 i wouldnt turn my back on shooting these 2 bucks again.
    A buddy and I were both sitting one of my double stands due to poor wind for hunting some of the other stands. We had one come in that at first glance I told hime to go ahead if he wanted it and he could not get to his bow due to the way the deer entered. About the time I saw him come in I changed my mind and tried to get a shot He had 5 on one side about 10-12 inch g2s and g3s then the other side had the sme height but his g2s and g3s were both split he was way cool 7 on one side and 5 on the other. I thought he was just a 140 at first look and wasn't even going to try for a shot and I waited too long to try to stand up he busted me at draw. I would guess him at just over 160. I screwwed up bad. My buddy about when I told him to go ahead. He tried and said I can't get there so I tried and got draw and on him when he split. What a bummer I bet he would have weighed well over 250. He was huge big old belly. But isn't that the way it goes. Went to pull some stands and move them and after pulling them and coming out of the property on the corner we ran into 6 bucks coming out on a doe one was well over a 200 class 8 point. He was the biggest deer I have seen this year by far. The one behind him was over 150 class. The others ranged from there down. We even had 2 6 pointers lock up within 30 yards from the truck. It was so cool to watch and know that the does are that close. This is the hottest doe I have seen this year. Now I have 2 stands on some prime river bottom ground. Anyone ever want to have some serious fun give me a yell before rutt hits here and I'll put you onto some trophys. Oh yeah my deer was in the exact same stand the deer pics came from that I posted above. Not a bad stand new to my locations this year. Have had the property available for about 6 years just never put the stands on it.