You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Junior Member Scrotang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Posts
    150

    Default new string stretch

    Hey everybody,
    I just got a new string (Vapor Trail I think) put on my bow and I was just wondering how much stretch is expected. I'm only asking because I was shooting it and my sight was off, but only by one pin. Then I shot some more and it was dead on at 20 yards with my 5th pin that isn't even sighted in. Any help will be appreciated.
    FBSA-MEMBER
    2007 Black Ice
    Spot Hogg Whammy
    Tru Fire/ Scott hybrid release
    Copper John Dead Nuts II
    Posten FTW
    FOBS

  2. #2
    #1 THREAD KILLER Pinwheel1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    at your course..taking your money
    Posts
    1,999

    Default

    not supposed to be any. get a hold of vapor trail on this.
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

  3. #3
    Junior Member Scrotang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Posts
    150

    Default

    I checked out their website and it said that their strings will sometimes add up to 10fps to the bow. If that is true then it must have slowed mine down quite a bit for me to have to raise my aiming point so much. the only thing I have in my string is a peep and a loop. I did have some Neet buttons on the string before but I don't think that would affect things that much to change my sight byat least an inch. I'm staring at my bow and everything is right. Can anyone explain this to me? Sorry for the long posts, I just got back into shooting about 2 month and $250 dollars ago
    FBSA-MEMBER
    2007 Black Ice
    Spot Hogg Whammy
    Tru Fire/ Scott hybrid release
    Copper John Dead Nuts II
    Posten FTW
    FOBS

  4. #4
    I pray for you! BUNNYMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    the Hutch
    Posts
    29,897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotang View Post
    I checked out their website and it said that their strings will sometimes add up to 10fps to the bow. If that is true then it must have slowed mine down quite a bit for me to have to raise my aiming point so much. the only thing I have in my string is a peep and a loop. I did have some Neet buttons on the string before but I don't think that would affect things that much to change my sight byat least an inch. I'm staring at my bow and everything is right. Can anyone explain this to me? Sorry for the long posts, I just got back into shooting about 2 month and $250 dollars ago
    I bet something is off, or out of place, the other thing you can check is the number of strands in you old string vs the new one.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

  5. #5
    Senior Member tnts79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,014

    Default

    Contact vapor trail, I am sure they can take care of you. If they don't I would suggest a stone mountain string. I had a SM string and cable set put on my old reflex before I sold it. Set the loop, peep, paper tuned it, shot it 20 times to sight it in, peep never rotated a bit. The guy who bought it has shot it about 300-500 times and it's still on! I'm sold on Stone Mountains! I bought a set of wolfdens (per advice on 3dshoots) to put on my trykon but I am waiting until the end of the season.
    Hoyt Trykon-390 gr.@280fps.
    Truglo Tool-less / 5-.019" pins
    WB/Double STS/S-Coil Stab./CSS Tunerz
    5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead

  6. #6
    Member Maybee-R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    83

    Default

    did you measure your peep hight on the old string?
    and is the peep the same with the new string?
    Those speed buttons will make a difference up to 8fps on my bow. witch is about a 1/2 inch on the target.
    No if's and or but's Just Maybee.

  7. #7
    Senior Member beenfarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Belleville, MI
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maybee-R View Post
    did you measure your peep hight on the old string?
    and is the peep the same with the new string?
    Those speed buttons will make a difference up to 8fps on my bow. witch is about a 1/2 inch on the target.
    I was thinking peep also. You may also want to double check your axle to axle and Brace height. It's not uncommon to have to add or remove some twists to a new string. I the string is stretching, you will notice your peep rotating. My first string I made I wen to take the first shot and the peep, did about 2 complete rotations!

    Ben
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

    FBSA Member

  8. #8
    Senior Member chelleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Rafael, CA
    Posts
    451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tnts79 View Post
    Contact vapor trail, I am sure they can take care of you. If they don't I would suggest a stone mountain string. I had a SM string and cable set put on my old reflex before I sold it. Set the loop, peep, paper tuned it, shot it 20 times to sight it in, peep never rotated a bit. The guy who bought it has shot it about 300-500 times and it's still on! I'm sold on Stone Mountains! I bought a set of wolfdens (per advice on 3dshoots) to put on my trykon but I am waiting until the end of the season.
    Stone Mountain might be fair for compound strings but my friend ordered a recurve string from them and after 5 times it's still wrong.... Our pro shop ordered them as I would have told them to stuff it after the 3rd try or maybe sooner.
    FBSA Member and Concierge
    Hoyt UltraElite 25" 40#, Carter Fits Me Too, Shibuya Compound Sight & Black Eagle scope, TT Spring Steel I, Slingbraid Custom Bow Slings, Quick Stand Bowstand, Carbon Express Nano XR

  9. #9
    Senior Member tnts79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,014

    Default

    Our shop used to carry strictly vapor trail, but after some trouble with them not standing behind their products we dropped them and now Stone Mountain does all our aftermarket strings.
    Hoyt Trykon-390 gr.@280fps.
    Truglo Tool-less / 5-.019" pins
    WB/Double STS/S-Coil Stab./CSS Tunerz
    5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead

  10. #10
    Prodigal Son jcmorgan31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Orange Co., Indiana
    Posts
    4,569

    Default

    After I twist up my strings they get cranked up to 300lbs where they sit until they stop stretching. Then I do my serving. I think most do the same thing.

    I don't understand how a string can continue to stretch once put on a bow.
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

  11. #11
    Junior Member Scrotang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maybee-R View Post
    did you measure your peep hight on the old string?
    and is the peep the same with the new string?
    Those speed buttons will make a difference up to 8fps on my bow. witch is about a 1/2 inch on the target.
    no I didn't measure the peep height, but it is roughly the same. i haven't shot today do ya'll think I should just adjust my sights and get back to busting X's or should I get the buttons put back on.
    FBSA-MEMBER
    2007 Black Ice
    Spot Hogg Whammy
    Tru Fire/ Scott hybrid release
    Copper John Dead Nuts II
    Posten FTW
    FOBS

  12. #12
    Senior Member beenfarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Belleville, MI
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotang View Post
    no I didn't measure the peep height, but it is roughly the same. i haven't shot today do ya'll think I should just adjust my sights and get back to busting X's or should I get the buttons put back on.
    Re adjust and shoot it! Pretty much anything you do to a bow will cause you to have to sight in. Try scooting the peep down a little first, and see if that helps. It doesn't have to move much to throw things off.

    Try this-

    Close you eyes, come to full draw, find your anchor point. Open your eyes when you comfortably in your anchor, and adjust the peep accordingly. Then readjust the sight.

    Ben
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

    FBSA Member

  13. #13
    Junior Member Scrotang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Thanks Ben, and I love my sling by the way, thanks for the tip I will try that tomorow.
    FBSA-MEMBER
    2007 Black Ice
    Spot Hogg Whammy
    Tru Fire/ Scott hybrid release
    Copper John Dead Nuts II
    Posten FTW
    FOBS

  14. #14
    Senior Member beenfarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Belleville, MI
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotang View Post
    Thanks Ben, and I love my sling by the way, thanks for the tip I will try that tomorow.
    Thanks! Let us know how it works out.

    Ben
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

    FBSA Member

  15. #15
    Junior Member Scrotang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Posts
    150

    Default

    got my peep adjusted and everything works fine now. had to adjust my sight a little bit but only about an eighth inch. now i need to get back to shooting regularly I have only been able to shoot about 2 times in the last 2 weeks and i'm getting the itch. best wishes to all and bow season is coming back around.
    FBSA-MEMBER
    2007 Black Ice
    Spot Hogg Whammy
    Tru Fire/ Scott hybrid release
    Copper John Dead Nuts II
    Posten FTW
    FOBS

Similar Threads

  1. Bow String Jib
    By buzzy1955 in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 03:37 PM
  2. bow string
    By cowboy50 in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 12:02 AM
  3. String ?
    By kbohunt in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 09:59 PM
  4. string stretch?
    By n2t in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-14-2007, 10:00 PM
  5. string stretch
    By shaft in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-23-2006, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •