You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Matthews fall away rest

Hi all. Avid reader of the forums here but first time posting.

I have a Matthews Drenalin bow and wanted to get into target archery. The guys at the local archery outfit recommended a Matthews fall away rest. Never used a rest like this before.

First problem was that the two plastic tips pulled off the rest while test shooting the rig in the store. Was assured by the gents there that this was no problem and I was better off without them. It only occured to me later that if they were pulled off then maybe the rest was not falling away properly or quickly enough. Now I see that the bottom fletching on all my arrows has ripples and the steel prong on the left side of the rest has red scuff marks from the red fletching. Obviously there needs to be more clearance.

I"m using EASTON FATBOY ARROWS
    1. Shaft Size/Spine : 340
    2. Length : 27 Inches
    3. Right Offset Fletching
    4. Vane Style/Type : 2 3/8 Inch Arizona Elite Plastifletch Vane
    5. Main Vane Color : Red
    6. ****/Odd Vane Color : White
    7. EZE-Crest Arrow Wrap : No Arrow Wrap
    8. Field Points : 100 Grain Bullet Points

Was wondering if the wide diameter on the "Fat Boys" was maybe the problem or is it a slow fall away problem. Any ideas on how to tune this rest to help out? Should I go to straight fletching and if so is this bad for accuracy? I'm not so sure I trust the guys who sold me the thing as they couldn't dig up a manual or even packaging and I asked if I was buying used merchandise and was assured I was not. I feel like a noob sucker now. Is this a common problem with this rest? Thanks for your patience with the new noob and thanks in advance for any help you can "shoot" my way. (man, that was a bad joke! lol)

Best regards to all
    Norien

Sounds like a timing issue. The rest is not dropping fast enough.

That's a nice setup. The Mathews rest is nice and simple for a fall away rest (which is also convertible to a fixed rest, should you want to change it) Check out Mathews Web site for instructions www.mathewsinc.com.

I have an Ovation with the Mathews rest, Fatboy 400's with Blazer vanes and I had the exact same problem. What I did was loosen the small allen head set screw on the cap on the right side of the rest (assuming your bow hand is your left hand). Turn the cap to the right about 1/8 turn and re-tighten the set screw. That will tighten the spring and cause a faster drop. I played around with that a bit and I have not had the problem since. You also may want to put a small drop of VERY light machine oil or, better yet, silicone libricant on the red shaft on the left side of the rest and work it in by lifting the rest up and letting it drop down. These rests don't use ball bearings, they are (delrin ?) bushings and need a little light lubrication once in a while.

Another possibility is the cord tying the rest to the downward cable is too short, which could cause the rest to drop to late. Make sure that the rest pops up just at the end of your draw and not in the middle of it. If it pops up early use a longer piece of loop rope material for the cord. You can always shorten it if you need to. Better yet, get one of the adjustable 'balls' with the set screw in it that you use to fasten the cord to the cable. That way you don't have to keep tying and un-tying the cord. Then when you find the right length, tie it in place and take the 'ball' off to re-use later.

Of course this is assuming you have your nocks inexed properly with the index/downward vane... I had to do a little adjustment on those as well to get everything working correctly.

I've also not had an issue with the silencers coming off... Mine are on there pretty tight...

Good luck.

Ron

Default Thanks so much

Just the info I needed! You guys are the best! I'll try rigging it up better and the silicone idea is brilliant.

Thanks so much

Norien

Check out the Web site too.
    I believe there is a .pdf file on there someplace with the info on the rest and how to adjust/tune it. If I run into it I'll post a link.
    When you bought this did you get a little clear baggie with 2 steel prongs in it ? If not you should have. those prongs are used to convert it to a fixed rest if you want to eliminate the drop away function. I was going to do that but after I fixed the clearance issue(s) the rest works so good that I left it just as it was.

Good luck.

Ron

Default All is well

No. No extra stuff or even packaging. I went on the site and got that pdf you suggested and its fairly obvious to me that they sold me a return w/o all the original info and adjustments for the change. But, due to your advice, all is well now. Took some minute turns after the initial change but the vanes are no longer contacting the rest (saw a trick online using powder on vane to test this but found using just a hair's width of chapstick on rest first, then clean up, then on vane indicated no contact and my unused arrows arent getting that vane degradation like before after many many shots)

So, once again, thanks so much. One of the things I do like about the sport is that there's always more to learn and always gentleman like yourselves out there ready to help the less experienced folks like myself!

Happy hunting and or shooting!
    Norien

Quote Originally Posted by Norien View Post
    No. No extra stuff or even packaging. I went on the site and got that pdf you suggested and its fairly obvious to me that they sold me a return w/o all the original info and adjustments for the change. But, due to your advice, all is well now. Took some minute turns after the initial change but the vanes are no longer contacting the rest (saw a trick online using powder on vane to test this but found using just a hair's width of chapstick on rest first, then clean up, then on vane indicated no contact and my unused arrows arent getting that vane degradation like before after many many shots)

So, once again, thanks so much. One of the things I do like about the sport is that there's always more to learn and always gentleman like yourselves out there ready to help the less experienced folks like myself!

Happy hunting and or shooting!
    Norien
    Hey, glad that fxed it. It definitely worked for me.

Ron