Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum > Wild Game Recipes

Old 12-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
bowhuntinfordeer

bowhuntinfordeer is on a distinguished road
Default Any of you process your own deer?

I am big into processing my own deer. I live in southwest Iowa and I shoot around 8 deer a year. I used to take some of the meat to a locker to have it made into summer sausage and deer sticks. Now I have a grinder, mixer, stuffer, and two smokers. It is a blast to do. It is alot of work but what the hell. I have ground up 80 lbs of hamburger with 10-15% beef tallow added and made 30 lbs of breakfast sausage. I have 30 lbs of summer sausage in the smoker as we speak. My smokers are not charcoal brinkmans if you didn't guess that already. Anyway do any of you have any recipes that you really like for summer sausage. I have been using packaged stuff and I want to experiment some with the next batch. I have the high temp cheese and have been adding fresh jalepenos to the sausage. I also have both cure one and cure two so if your recipe calls for a meat cure I am set. Please I need something new to try. I would much rather make my own mix but not really sure where to start. Thanks
bowhuntinfordeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntinfordeer View Post
I am big into processing my own deer. I live in southwest Iowa and I shoot around 8 deer a year. I used to take some of the meat to a locker to have it made into summer sausage and deer sticks. Now I have a grinder, mixer, stuffer, and two smokers. It is a blast to do. It is alot of work but what the hell. I have ground up 80 lbs of hamburger with 10-15% beef tallow added and made 30 lbs of breakfast sausage. I have 30 lbs of summer sausage in the smoker as we speak. My smokers are not charcoal brinkmans if you didn't guess that already. Anyway do any of you have any recipes that you really like for summer sausage. I have been using packaged stuff and I want to experiment some with the next batch. I have the high temp cheese and have been adding fresh jalepenos to the sausage. I also have both cure one and cure two so if your recipe calls for a meat cure I am set. Please I need something new to try. I would much rather make my own mix but not really sure where to start. Thanks

I use the mix for summer sausage that THE SAUSAGE MAKER sells. I know it's not home made but it is very very good...
Old 12-07-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
Cablegaurd21

Cablegaurd21 is on a distinguished road

I have wanted to get into making my own Deer sticks, sausage, bologna, Jerky and such, I live in Coggon Iowa. Maybe sometime I could make a trip down to where you are in Souther Iowa and see the process in person?
Old 12-07-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
wyatt

wyatt is on a distinguished road

check the cabellas catalog...I've been using their stuff for years.
wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
Breck

Breck is on a distinguished road

After being overcharged to process 2 deer I bought all the equiment for me to make my own susage. My first batch cam out very good. In the long run I would suggest to get the equiment you will save a ton of money doing it yourself. I spent around $400 dollars grinder /susgage stuffer /meat mixer/scale. My favorate is Breaded Backstraps and Italian susage and deer roast in the crockpot. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM Im getting hungry now.
Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
09Dreamseason
Shooting Edge Technology

09Dreamseason will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to 09Dreamseason Send a message via Yahoo to 09Dreamseason

I only mix a 50/50 Pork Trim or "Fresh Side" Bacon to my Breakfast Sausage. You really don't need much tenderizer of any kind for sausage with the Fresh Side Bacon. I do a 3:1 mix, or 33% Fresh Side Bacon. I make my own Italian Sausage with the 50/50 Pork Trim, Fennel Seed, and Italian Seasoning. Make some "Hot" Italian Sausage by adding Ground Red Pepper or Red Pepper Flakes/Seeds. Add a little at a time until you find the right amount for your taste. The Fennel Seed is the key to Italian Sausage. You can smell what I'm talking about as soon as you open the container! The Deer Italian Sausage I make is cooked ground and used in my wife's Spaghetti and Lasagna sauce!

www.ShootingEdgeTech.com
www.SaveOutdoorSports.com
09Dreamseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
Fred Bear11

Fred Bear11 is on a distinguished road

if its meat ill eat lol
Fred Bear11 is offline   Reply With Quote