Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Archery, How To Section

Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
SandSquid
Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

SandSquid is on a distinguished road
Default Flemish Twist String Jig

Prologue[/SIZE]

My project is a Flemish Twist Bow String Making Jig.

Now I must admit, I am a "Neanderthal Woodworker" (Galoot) at heart, and love to do things the old fashioned way as much as practical. However, I'm not a purist unless a client demands it, and is willing to pay for it. I will sacrifice a few electrons to speed my progress along where it will not effect the final "traditional look and feel" of the finished piece.

I also have a wood fetish. I have a compulsion to collect odd bits and scraps of unique wood, for "some future purpose", and love it when I can put one of those pieces to good use. While digging through my pile, I found a lovely piece of Honey Locust that was already roughly the right size, It had a protective seal-coat of Blond Shellac already applied about 10 years ago. So I grabbed it and my needful hand tools to get started:

Archery, How To Section

I like laying out on paper, since it is easier to correct mistakes without leaving a lasting impression in the wood. I have a 36" wide by 1000' foot roll of red craft paper for this purpose. In some cases such as this one, I will adhere the paper to the workpiece using 3M's "Super 77" spray adhesive.

Archery, How To Section

Just a light mist, let it dry until just slightly tacky, apply it and trim.
Hint: The longer you let it dry the easier it is to remove later.

I employed my beautiful Cocobolo handled Layout Knife made by my good friend Patrick Leach, proprietor of The Superior Works for the trimming task.
Archery, How To Section[/QUOTE]

Layout

I carefully laid out my dimensions on the paper for the "stepped" end.

Archery, How To Section

Then measured out to the opposite end:
Archery, How To Section Archery, How To Section
You get the idea, right?

OK, time to do some more careful measuring and layout:
Archery, How To Section

I went back and triple-checked everything. Now is the time to correct ant errors before they are committed to the wood!

Being satisfied everything was spot-on, I made some dimples with my automatic center punch and exaggerated them with my (antique) ivory handled tapered reamer.
Archery, How To Section

Next, I laid out and scribed the baselines for the "cutting groove" w/ my layout knife. The plan is to rout it out and possibly install some alternate, softer, wood in the "floor" of the dado to keep from dulling my cutting tool. possibly even bevel the shoulders a bit.

I went over all my "dimples" and lines with a sharpie marker to highlight them after the removal of the paper.

Archery, How To Section

Time to remove the paper!
Archery, How To Section
Obviously, I did not heed my own advice and wait long enough for the spray adhesive to dry before I applied it to the wood. But, as the wood already has a sealer coat of shellac, the application of a plastic kitchen scraper makes short work of it.

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode.. making sawdust!

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.
SandSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
SandSquid
Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

Default Finally, I made a string!

The old Bear Tamerlane HC-300 was way too lonely and feeling neglected
Such a beautiful bow deserves to be SHOT!

Archery, How To Section

Archery, How To Section

Archery, How To Section

Archery, How To Section

Archery, How To Section

I know, I know.. 8125 on a classic recurve, what was I thinking!?!?!?!

Last edited by SandSquid; 03-07-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
TMax27

TMax27 is on a distinguished road

Squid, can you give a little dialougue on what/why/how you are making this flemish string? Little background info?
2009 Elite GT500 w/ Cuda Cams 25" 47lbs- Pink Ninja
TMax27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
SandSquid
Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMax27 View Post
Squid, can you give a little dialougue on what/why/how you are making this flemish string? Little background info?
I coach a Youth/Developmental Archery group at my Church I'm teaching them how to make thier own stick bows (from u-finish kits from rudderbow) and to make thier own strings... Both 2-Bundle Flemish Twist as well as Endless Loop.

I made a "dry run" on the u-finish bow kits last fall:
http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22587

Last edited by SandSquid; 03-11-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
TMax27

TMax27 is on a distinguished road

Squid, I guess I meant more of the how part of making a Flemish Twist or Endless loop string...

ei: Why do you use the multiple posts on the Flemish Strings?
2009 Elite GT500 w/ Cuda Cams 25" 47lbs- Pink Ninja
TMax27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
SandSquid
Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMax27 View Post
Squid, I guess I meant more of the how part of making a Flemish Twist or Endless loop string...

ei: Why do you use the multiple posts on the Flemish Strings?

You use multiple "posts" (pegs) so you get a gradual taper when you twist the ends closed vice a step, it helps lock everything together.

here are some abbreviated destructions:

Use at least two different colors of string for your own sanity!
It makes for a prettier string and is easier to keep track of what you're doing while making the string.

You'll need to decide if you want to make a two ply or three ply string.
(I have done up to a 4 color string, that was "fun")
A two ply string is made from two bundles of twisted strands while a three ply string uses three bundles, etc. A two ply string is easier to make.

Achor the end of the string to the top left-hand post.
If your desired string is, as it is for me, 60 inches long, find the 60 inch position marked on the board and start winding the strands onto the jig until you have 6 strands of string (for a 2 bundle 12 strand string)on the jig.

When you have done that, run the spool to the next pin as if to wind another strand. You're not going to wind another but when you cut the string it keeps all the strands at the correct length.

Now cut the strands right down the center line between the top posts.

Carefully pull the bundle off the jig making sure that the ends of the strings don't move. You'll notice that the ends of each strand is slightly shorter than the others. Staggering the string ends helps to lock each strand in place as you make the bowstring loops. Set this bundle aside and repeat the process using a different color of B-50 Dacron string.

Wax both ends of each string bundle for about 10 inches.

Lay both bundles side by side so that the longest strand in each bundle is aligned with the other.

Grasp both bundles about 8 inches back from the ends. Hold the bundles between your thumb and forefinger.

(This is where you should go to YouTube and find a video of the process!!!)

Using your other hand, twist the top bundle six or seven times away from your body.
Now take the twisted bundle and rotate it towards your body.
The bottom bundle is now on top and vice versa.
Keep repeating this twisting and rotating process until you have braided enough to form the loop for the top limb on your bow. The width of this loop will vary as does width of different bow limbs. The loop should be wide enough so that it will slide down the bow limb 5 or 6 inches when the bow is unstrung.

Form the loop, make sure you align the bundles same color to same color, forming one larger bundle of each
Grasp the bundles at the bottom of the loop and twist the two bundles of same color together.

Holding these two bundles between the thumb and forefinger, perform the same twisting and rotating process until the last tag end of the strings have been braided into the bow- string.

After finishing the top loop, separate both bundles all the way down to the bottom.
Take your 8 inch measurement at the bottom of the bundles and repeat the whole process again just as you did when forming the top loop.
When braiding the bottom loop you may have to stop occasionally to separate the bundles.
The bottom loop has to be just wide enough to fit over the nocks on your bottom bow limb.

Now that you have completed the loops you will need to put a twist into the bowstring. Make sure you twist the bowstring in the same direction as your braids otherwise you will untwist the loops.

Put the string on your bow and adjust for proper brace height.
Allow the string to stretch for a day or two or go out and shoot the bow.
Remember to keep adjusting the brace height by twisting or untwisting the string until all the stretch has been worked out of the string.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
ScreamoonW

ScreamoonW is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ScreamoonW
Default Flemish Twist String Jig

If any Traditional Archers out there that needs a great handmade
Bow string, contact:

Linda Brackenburys 3 ply Custom Flemish Twist Strings
24585 Dodds Road
Bend, Oregon
541382-2434

Linda has been hand making my bow strings for years, on a scale of 1-10, Id rate her a 10.
ScreamoonW is offline   Reply With Quote