Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Rattlinman
trust me, I know

Rattlinman is on a distinguished road
Default Legal for ASA ??

I'm playing around with back weight on my hunter class setup and I found an old 12" Toxonics New Balance bar in my extra box. Question is : according to the ASA rules as I read it, as long as the back of the bar doesn't exceed 8" or extend past the string plane ? This would mean I would have 5" sticking out the front....is that legal also ?

I don't even want to play with it if I find out it'd not ASA legal setup.
Rattlinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
TMax27

TMax27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlinman View Post
I'm playing around with back weight on my hunter class setup and I found an old 12" Toxonics New Balance bar in my extra box. Question is : according to the ASA rules as I read it, as long as the back of the bar doesn't exceed 8" or extend past the string plane ? This would mean I would have 5" sticking out the front....is that legal also ?

I don't even want to play with it if I find out it'd not ASA legal setup.
Not sure where you read "the back of the bar doesn't exceed 8" or extend past the string plane", but here is the 2011 rules...

Stabilizer Rule - A front stabilizer (or system including quick releases and/or enhancers) may be used, but may not exceed twelve inches (12) in total length from the tip of the stabilizer (or system) to the point of attachment on the front of the riser provided by the manufacturer. A rear stabilizer or counter balance weight system may be used with a maximum of two extensions, but may not extend more than six inches (6) in length as measured from either: (1) the point of attachment on the rear of the riser provided by the manufacturer, or (2) if there is no rear point of attachment the system may not extend more than six inches (6) beyond the back of the grip.

This is still a bit vague or unclear. Before Paris last year, I called the ASA National Office and was basically told that as long as my back bar doesn't go past the string, I'll be OK. So all year I used a 8" B-Stinger back bar on a knuckle off the side of my riser in the quiver hole, even had my bow inspected at two different qualifiers.. Fast forward to the Oklahoma State Championship... My bow was protested half-way through the shoot, and was told by the State Director to either remove my back bar or be disqualified. His and the course owner's interpretation of the rule was that the bar could be 6" long.

The rule is very vague and deffiinately open to interpretation, so with that said, I think as long as you are not doing anything too wild looking to get your bow noticed by someone else, you will be OK. Will your Toxonics bar be legal...
2009 Elite GT500 w/ Cuda Cams 25" 47lbs- Pink Ninja
TMax27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Rattlinman
trust me, I know

Rattlinman is on a distinguished road

Yeah, the 8" idea was from last year...from the front of my attachment to the string was 8", so I used an 8" AEP angled down just enough so that it didn't stick out past the string plane. So the amount of stabilizer sticking out forward of the riser won't make a difference ? If I set the New Balance where it's end is even with the string, then I'll have about 5" pointing toward the front.....but I guess two front stabilizers are acceptable ?

The last thing I want is to have happen to me what happened to you....that had to have sucked !!!!
Rattlinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
TMax27

I think you will be asked to remove it if you have any of it sticking out the front, which would be making two front stabs.

I did stink a bit, but still finished 3rd because of a few dropped points after the protest. I shot 3 or 4 8's early in the round too, so I can't blame the stabilizer protest on not winning, shot my own self in the foot there. I ended up one or two points behind second, I made a bad shot on the last target, and that's what put me third. Definately was obtainable.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
J.A.G.

J.A.G. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to J.A.G.

Tmax, I didn't know you got protested.. So which ruling over rules? State or what you are told by Asa?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
TMax27

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A.G. View Post
Tmax, I didn't know you got protested.. So which ruling over rules? State or what you are told by Asa?
Yep, they never would tell me who did it though. Would have like to have stuck my toungue out at em or maybe mooned them

At the State Championship, Darrell Trout and Rick Stubblefield both interpreted the rule as that the back bar cannot be longer than 6" from the attachment point. In my case I had a knuckle w/ an 8" back bar located low on the side of my riser w/ it angled down and out.

Oh well... I didn't lose because of the ruling, just flat out didn't shoot up to my potential at the time, droping a few points early, then making a bad shot on the last target.