Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 10-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
mn.moose
VP of WCA

mn.moose is on a distinguished road
Default OAA Shoots

I am new to competitive shooting and wanted to know if you have to be a member of OAA (Ohio Archers Association) to shoot in any of there tournaments? Also I have only been into archery for about 2 years, wanting to know if my indoor 300 score of 280 is even worth me trying to go or would I just be embarrassing myself?
mn.moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking A little known fact !

First off to this site !

I use to think that I would be a great shooter , but after taking less than 1st alot at 3ds , I turned to spots and than realize that I was never to be the best , as my best in life so far has been a 294 .

There are folks out there who can shoot 300 s all day long !

Some can even do 60 Xs !

Enjoy the sport , as hunting is my thing now !
Carpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

You can probably shoot one or two as a guest just to try it out.

Let me add.........

I ve been shooting targets for the last 5 or 6 years and one thing I ve learn is almost everybody at a target shoot is not going to come in first. 99 percent of everyone in your class is going to lose, don't feel bad if your in the 99 percent.

It's nice to place and all but in in the real world your just shooting against yourself and if you place it's a bonus. Have fun and don't turn it into a stressfull hobby.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Oh and to 3d shoots

Kick your feet up and stay awhile.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
mn.moose
VP of WCA

mn.moose is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice... I just didn't know if the shoots were more for the professionals or if a lot of guys like me show up. I just don't want to be the person that every stops everything and stares at as I walk through the door.

Also wanted to say that I missed my very first kill with a bow the other week and having troubles dealing with it. I have been a long time hunter and thought after 2 year of practice thought I would try the bow. Stuck it right in the should bone and barely penetrated. Needless to say the deer is still running and counting it's lucky stars. Everyone keep telling me that it happens to every bow hunter but I cannot help but feel irresponsible for my poor shot. Any advice that can help me get back in the tree?
mn.moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
Gator eye

Just so you know;

A 280 in a 5 spot game in the hunters class here in michigan would put you right about the middle of the pack. You wouldn't win but you'll be far from the bottom.
also
If guys like you decide not to show up for these shoots they wouldn't happen. Guys that hunt make up a good portion of the classes. Don't let the guys with the long stabilizers and fancy bows intimidate you, even money says they started right where you are acouple of years ago.

Go and have fun!!