Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 06-16-2004, 05:56 AM   #1
Jefro

Jefro is on a distinguished road
Default List of archery tips

What is something you have learned, or do, that you would like to share with everyone else. Onething I have learnd is to mark your sight, rest, cams, limb bolts, ect. I often use white out, or a pencil. It is always nice to be able to look at a mark and know if something has moved. It can be quite a time saver. Something else I do, is on my Trophy Taker, I have a rubber band tied to the cord to help keep it out of the way after the shot.

If you have any tips you want to share, please do.

Jeff
Jefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:49 PM   #2
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a tip... remember to serve in your peep. I had two knots to hold the peep in place but it wan't served and it moved. This makes for a frustrating field round.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:26 PM   #3
Pinky

Pinky is on a distinguished road

This is hunting gear related more than bow related.

I have had the misfortune of dropping things from my stand as I unload my pack. Actually, it it almost for sure I'll drop something back to the ground. From grunt calls to thermos bottles, I have dropped almost everything I own at least once.

A good friend of mine who has the same issues gave me a fix for this disease. And yes, it is a disease. The proper name for it is Disfunctional Involuntary Propulsion of Meaningful Equipment or D.I.P M.E. for short. There is no cure, only a way to survive the disease.

Here's how to:

Take a very large treble hook (it can be a weighted hook if you wish) and file the barbs completely off. Tie on about 50 feet nylon string. Wrap the string around the shank of the hook. Now, store it so there is NO POSSIBLE way you can drop it from your pack.

You can easily retreive ("fish up" as I call it) items that you drop from your perch without climbing down. For hard to catch gear like thermos bottles, you may want to tape on a loop of string or something. Since you removed the barbs from the hook, you can "fish up" clothing without having to worry yourself sick trying to remove the hook.

I have "fished up" quivers, calls, sandwiches, jackets, and many more items with this simple, but, revolutionary piece of equipment. I hope that this helps some one in need.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:39 AM   #4
Jefro

Jefro is on a distinguished road

WRBC Pinky-

That is a great idea. I know I for one have been up and down a tree more than once getting something that I have dropped.
Jefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 07:51 PM   #5
ptcruz421

ptcruz421 is on a distinguished road

Here's a hunting tip.

Spin check your new broadheads. Do not assume they are on straight. Spin them on the tip. Watch about 1" above the broadhead for it to wobble. If you have an arrow spinner, it is even easier to look for wobble.

Some heads you cannot get on straight no matter what you do. They can be manufactured incorrectly. Don't assume they are perfect.

If they wobble, they will not group right. You will just get frustrated. Another option that does help is the G5 ASD device that allows you to square the end of the arrow.

If you installed the inserts with hot melt, heat the shaft (aluminum only) and then spin the broadhead 1/3 of a turn for 3-blades. Then allow to cool slightly and re-check the spin again. You may have to repeat this process a couple times.

Many long time hunters already know this but thought it may help some new hunters

Last edited by ptcruz421; 06-17-2004 at 07:53 PM.
ptcruz421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:46 PM   #6
OutbackRuss

OutbackRuss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to OutbackRuss

shoot every bow you can till you find the one you like best, for me it was a Mathews Outback.
Here's my setup Mathews Outback, Alpine Soft-Loc 5 arrow Quiver, Impact Solo-site, NAP Quicktune 2000 RG Arrow rest, Vibracheck stabilizer, Sims Ultra Limb Savers, Scott Mongoose NCS Release. Shooting Easton Axis Arrows (400's)

"The beast is dead, Long live the beast!"
OutbackRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 09:27 PM   #7
glenny

glenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to glenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBC_Pinky
This is hunting gear related more than bow related.

I have had the misfortune of dropping things from my stand as I unload my pack. Actually, it it almost for sure I'll drop something back to the ground. From grunt calls to thermos bottles, I have dropped almost everything I own at least once.

A good friend of mine who has the same issues gave me a fix for this disease. And yes, it is a disease. The proper name for it is Disfunctional Involuntary Propulsion of Meaningful Equipment or D.I.P M.E. for short. There is no cure, only a way to survive the disease.

Here's how to:

Take a very large treble hook (it can be a weighted hook if you wish) and file the barbs completely off. Tie on about 50 feet nylon string. Wrap the string around the shank of the hook. Now, store it so there is NO POSSIBLE way you can drop it from your pack.

You can easily retreive ("fish up" as I call it) items that you drop from your perch without climbing down. For hard to catch gear like thermos bottles, you may want to tape on a loop of string or something. Since you removed the barbs from the hook, you can "fish up" clothing without having to worry yourself sick trying to remove the hook.

I have "fished up" quivers, calls, sandwiches, jackets, and many more items with this simple, but, revolutionary piece of equipment. I hope that this helps some one in need.
I'd rather be hunting in my deerstand than fishin'
glenny is offline   Reply With Quote