Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 07-19-2004, 06:59 AM   #1
glenny

glenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to glenny
Default Mathews 2004 speed issues?

I own a outback for hunting,and a ovation for 3d/target,I am now maxed out at 68 lbs on the outback,and 66.5 lbs on the ovation.
Now I know the axle to axle is right,and the timing is right,and the brace is close,there are no questions whether or not it's right...
I am about ready to snap,feel like driving to wisconsin and throw this ovation through a window of the manufacturers plant.
I have heard not from a couple of people,but from every Ovation owner that there not getting 70 lbs.at full tilt.
I got a new limbs,and now today,they might send me some more new ones or something?!?
This may not be true for somebody who pulls one out of the box,but not even 6 months,come on....
The lx was sporting 71 all the way to the treestand last year.the sq2 I owned for 3 years was lingering at 70 when I sold it.
I'm not into tweeeking the crap out of my bows,I want them to do and say what it is suppose to say and do.
I also noticed that the clearance tolerance on all mathews really isn't to sweet but short as well.Todays new fletchings blazers and quickspins are running around 5/8",probably undoubtably the best vanes to hit the archery market.If I got fatboys or speed23,or another great fatshaft as I do own,and want to try shooting some of these wonderfull vanes through mathews with instead of duravanes,I can forget about it???????,welcome to the left tear world.
I have never ever in my intire life been more discusted with mathews,and almost 10 years is about enough for me.I really hope 2005 isn't like 2004 for mathews.
I also am not one to bash.This is the way that it is.
I owned enough of them and loved to shoot almost all my bows,I just don't know what to buy now.
Maybe someone from mathews is doing some feedback in there product research after this years ovation, man.I am looking for solid information here.Not a bunch of hipe,and surely not any trouble with anyone.Clear.
glenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:08 PM   #2
bjcrawfo

bjcrawfo is on a distinguished road

They are not timed right. If they came from the factory and were suppose to be 70lbs bows... then they are suppose to be 70lb bows. I have been having the same problem with my LX until I threw that crappy zebra string in the garbage and bought one that would not strecth. I am not pulling your chain either buddy. I have been fighting this for awhile now.. Go and get the bow timed from someone who knows what they are doing and get them to mark the cam with a marker. When you take it back home I bet you that those marks will move after about 200 shots. Get a new string and buss cable and this problem will go away. When you lose poundage the buss cable is the one that is strecthing.
Easton FATBOYS
Vibracheck Stabalizers
TRU Ball Releases
bjcrawfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:57 PM   #3
glenny

Default It's timed perfectly

Timing isn't the issue,like I said it's all where it is suppose to be.There's a brand new winners choice on it,do you suppose they know what there doing?Replaced it with one I made,the x-coat is hard to beat on it because of the vicious hard cam eats them up.
I called mathews this morning and I was shocked about what the technition told me.
He said that the ata doesn't really matter that I need to aquire the right brace height,and the timing,the limbs can be replaced,but he claims that every bow is different,and that the approximate ata is 40.
I have heard alot of bows that the brace height can fluctuate but I Never Ever heard this one.
Just get the brace height right,and twist the cable atleast four times or so till I get the timing right and don't worry about the ata.
I know not one person so far that owns a Ovation who is getting 70 lbs with a 40" ATA.If there is ONE,you let me know....
Maybe bj,the only thing I know that I can't get is 300F.P.S.Never had the problem with the lx.I know only one person who does.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:22 PM   #4
bjcrawfo

bjcrawfo is on a distinguished road

You need to listen to what the people are telling you at Mathews. The bow is not timed because if it was, you would be getting 70lbs. Thats all there is to it..
Easton FATBOYS
Vibracheck Stabalizers
TRU Ball Releases
bjcrawfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 09:00 PM   #5
glenny

Default Reading Writing And Not Adding Up?

I really don't know what your ATA says ON the LX,but maybe if it says 35 and your getting 70 lbs fine,It should be close shouldn't it? SO,let's just say the ata of your LX is 34,maybe you might not care but,some people like myself who takes archery quite seriously especially when it comes down to the machines I wheel around,does.
I do know how to set up a bow better than my dealer does.I can say that and even the administrator of this website can varify that.
I don't find it within myself to say approxemately my arrows weigh 335 or so.
Or,I don't figure that my broadheads spin perty good?!?They shoot fine at 20 yards,and there 4 inches left at 50.
Thats fine,I'll just aim left a little,no sorry...
When I bought my 4th mathews bow for target(OVATION),I expected a 40 inch ATA.It's sporting 66 lbs at 40 inches AXLE TO AXLE...
If I wanted a 38 inch bow I would have bought a safari with 80 lb limbs.Ha.
I'm sure that my solution 3 would need a new spring or two.
I need some ovation owners advice,already been the owner of a lx.ha.
I suppose the fatboys should be decked out with blazers or quickspins?SURE WOULD BE NICE.AYE CHRIS?
YOU CAN FORGET EVEN TRYIN'IT.People.Unless you can't do the math there either.1/2 the shaft diameter+5/8=WHAT?
Hitting a mathews cable.

Last edited by glenny; 07-19-2004 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:54 PM   #6
Red Flame

Red Flame is on a distinguished road
Default speed question

Your dead wrong if you think you can get 70lbs out of a Ovation and still keep it in the specs that are advertised.You dont own one if you think it just needs to be timed.You are right on the fact of Zebra strings being part of the problem,but you cant get 70lbs out of a Ovation and have 40" axle to axle.You can get it by twisting your cable more than reccomended by winners choice or any other quality string maker.Mathews missed the boat on the spec sheet thinking they could make it look better than it is.Dont get me wrong the bow shoots great,but i didnt get what was advertised.By the way i do know how to set up a bow !!!!
Red Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:29 AM   #7
biofreeze

biofreeze is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help

Hello, I'm new to this sight and getting back into archery. After reading this post I was wondering if I could get you (Glenny) to help me. I'm new to the area and live in Belvidere, IL. and I used to shoot Mathews but now because of your post on Mathews bow issues I'm not sure that I want to buy a Mathews. As a matter of fact I'm sure that I don't . I'm looking to get back into shooting 3-Ds and hunting and would like to find someone that knows his "stuff" and you sound like the one that I need to talk to. How long have you been shooting competitive archery? Would you be interested in coaching me? I would like to get to the level of being able to work on my equipment and shooting that you are at now. How much would you charge me for your services. Please let me know, I'm looking forward to meeting you and learning more about archery.
Joe
biofreeze is offline   Reply With Quote