Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 12-28-2005, 10:07 PM   #1
hoytman_08

hoytman_08 is on a distinguished road
Question holding steady?

i have been bowhunting for about 2yrs and still cant hold my bow steady, anyone have any tips??

Last edited by hoytman_08; 12-28-2005 at 10:10 PM.
hoytman_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:24 AM   #2
joekidd

joekidd is on a distinguished road

Hoytman,
Just some questions:

1.Do you have this problem when target shooting?
2.What is your draw weight?
3.Do you ever practice with your hunting clothes on, or simulate a hunting situation (like shooting from an odd position)?

I hope I can help.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:47 AM   #3
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking to be rock steady, it will never happen. That said, you can improve how steady you hold. Usually there are two problems. First is the draw length may be wrong. To long a draw and you will wander all over the place. Too short and you will be steadier but the movements will be jerky and large. The second problem is pulling too much weight.

If you can provide a digital picture of you at full draw, this will help us tell if your draw length is an issue.

When drawing the bow, do you have to point it at the sky to get it drawn back? If yes, your pulling too many pounds. I tell the deer hunters, if you can't hold the bow pointed down at the deer out of a treestand and draw it straight back, you are pulling too much weight.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
If you are looking to be rock steady, it will never happen. That said, you can improve how steady you hold. Usually there are two problems. First is the draw length may be wrong. To long a draw and you will wander all over the place. Too short and you will be steadier but the movements will be jerky and large. The second problem is pulling too much weight.

If you can provide a digital picture of you at full draw, this will help us tell if your draw length is an issue.

When drawing the bow, do you have to point it at the sky to get it drawn back? If yes, your pulling too many pounds. I tell the deer hunters, if you can't hold the bow pointed down at the deer out of a treestand and draw it straight back, you are pulling too much weight.

It really doesn't get much more precise than this.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:26 PM   #5
hoytman_08

hoytman_08 is on a distinguished road

i am pulling 60 pounds with a 23.5 inch draw and i do have problems target shooting.
hoytman_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:31 PM   #6
DTP_HoytTec

DTP_HoytTec is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DTP_HoytTec

Try turning your draw weight down to 55 if you shoot a 50-60lb bow. If not I know you could still turn it down past specs providing it's a Hoyt.

Another question I have is your style of grip. If you have a closed fist around the grip, try something different. That type of style promotes hand torgue and quick fatigue. Try letting your fingers extend straight out, but don't keep them tense, just let them hang there. Another grip is to curl your four fingers in and put the tips of them on the front side of the riser, this grip promotes no hand torque and could help in keeping the bow steady.

Please try to submit a picture so we can further assist you!

*65% or 80% let-off?*

DTP_HoytTec
Hunting - HHA Optimizer rheostat
Fuse Tec. 4" Camo Stabilizer
Medium/Black Vapor Trail Strings & Cables
Beaver Balls
Bohning Lynx 4
Alpha Shox
CX 200 w/white dip & 4" NAP Quickspins
DTP_HoytTec is offline   Reply With Quote