Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 08-23-2006, 12:33 AM   #1
cuttinbucks

cuttinbucks is on a distinguished road
Default fingers or release for beginning female

Just bought my wife a hoyt selena, got it set up for a release but we cant find one short enough,, she can pull it back and hold it well with fiingers,,, should we just have her shoot fingers or find a shorter release
cuttinbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:25 AM   #2
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttinbucks View Post
Just bought my wife a hoyt selena, got it set up for a release but we cant find one short enough,, she can pull it back and hold it well with fiingers,,, should we just have her shoot fingers or find a shorter release
huh? Releases are normally adjustable and if she doesn't want a wrist release she can get a hunting fingers release.

I would say stay away from fingers, it will be tough for her to switch to a release at a later date.
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:16 AM   #3
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

I would strongly recommend a release and here's why. Finger shooting requires a lot more practice to be good at it. Any variation in the finger release will change the impact location of the arrow. More weight on one finger vs the other, a quick release of the fingers, a slow release of the finger, no follow thru of the release hand will all effect where the arrow goes.

Now, lets look at a mechanical release. You press the button, lever or whatever and the jaw opens the same way every time. There is a lot less to worry about.

Most new shooters need early success to understand the joys of shooting. Why make it harder than it has to be for a new shooter.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
piethon

piethon is on a distinguished road

Chris said it all the release will be much more forgiving making her a better shot.
piethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:00 PM   #5
ptcruz421

ptcruz421 is on a distinguished road

Try her with a release for sure. If she decides she don't like it then switch to fingers. I know men that complain their fingers hurt from shooting fingers. Can you imagine what it would be like with tender hands.
ptcruz421 is offline   Reply With Quote