Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 10-02-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
clemenlp
Diamond in the Rough

clemenlp is on a distinguished road
Unhappy There is a such thing as a bad day hunting!!!

Well, got out for the first time this year on Saturday and things went from bad to worst. Started out forgot that I needed to change the straps on my climber that allow your feet to bring up the bottom portion. So, I improvised and got that resolved and made it to where I wanted to be, about fifteen (15') feet up. Then I started to haul up my bow when it happened, SNAP, and down it goes, about 10 - 12 foot drop. Bottom cam hits a rock and now it doesn't turn properly, think I bent the accel and have to have it checked. Lord knows when I will be able to get that done, so I decide that I am going to just sit and see what is going on from the ground.

After I come out I drive to the parking area that my Father-in-Law is at, we always meet-up so that we know that both of us made it out safe, especially if one of us is going into a tree stand. I get there and he shows me that someone has taken a rock and busted out his passenger side window. (Yes, now we are both angry and crying) So, not only did neither of us see anything, but now we both have expencive repairs that need to be done.

So, my bow season is probably done for the year and his truck is in the shop. Guess if he needs to hunt he can borrow mine, I won't be needing it for a while.

Hope everyone else's season is going a little better.

Clem

Some People spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference in the world.
Luckily our Service Men and Women don't have that problem.
clemenlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
Hoyt101
Banned

Hoyt101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemenlp View Post
Well, got out for the first time this year on Saturday and things went from bad to worst. Started out forgot that I needed to change the straps on my climber that allow your feet to bring up the bottom portion. So, I improvised and got that resolved and made it to where I wanted to be, about fifteen (15') feet up. Then I started to haul up my bow when it happened, SNAP, and down it goes, about 10 - 12 foot drop. Bottom cam hits a rock and now it doesn't turn properly, think I bent the accel and have to have it checked. Lord knows when I will be able to get that done, so I decide that I am going to just sit and see what is going on from the ground.

After I come out I drive to the parking area that my Father-in-Law is at, we always meet-up so that we know that both of us made it out safe, especially if one of us is going into a tree stand. I get there and he shows me that someone has taken a rock and busted out his passenger side window. (Yes, now we are both angry and crying) So, not only did neither of us see anything, but now we both have expencive repairs that need to be done.

So, my bow season is probably done for the year and his truck is in the shop. Guess if he needs to hunt he can borrow mine, I won't be needing it for a while.

Clem

Dam i would be ticked and i have had the string that i hall
up my bow with snap and that SUCKS BIG TIME i went hunting
this morning and i didnt see any thing but a dog lol i was bored
so i shot it hey its beter then nothing lol trying to scare my deer
away
Hoyt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Quote:

Clem
that just SUCKS!
Old 10-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 is on a distinguished road
Default that aint cool

there are bad days and then there are really bad days. i think that counts as a really bad day. sounds like you need a hug.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:26 PM   #5
Dredly
Site Guru

While mine didn't suck as bad as yours...

Friday my dad and I were shooting our broadheads. I had been shooting them all day so I started sharpening one, then talked to my dad and since he needed to shoot them I didn't bother sharpening the rest.

So we are shooting in the target and he goes "okay one more round then call it a night" so he shoots his round, I go up to pull the heads by unscrewing the head and pulling out the arrow, I start unscrewing the first broahead, it breaks free and I slip and slice the crap out of my left index finger (i shoot lefty). I should have gone for stiches but screw that, 1 day before season opens I'll suck it up. I also wasn't too worried as I shoot a thumb trigger release.

I go to my spot, take my tree stand off my back and don't I slam my finger off the stand, instantly started bleeding right through the bandage... Damn, ehh well I'll suck it up, I can still shoot.

Didn't see anything to shoot except a doe that a few dogs scared of (stupid owners let them outside for an hour to bark their heads off). Saw about 20 tree-rats making as much noise as possible... i hate tree rats. Then it rained the rest of the day... day 1 over

Day 2 (Monday) get up mad early, get in the stand and my stand can cover 3 trails... the deer took trail 4 where i could see it but not shoot... I'm pretty sure she actaully flipped me the hoof and then mooned me while walking past. My buddy shot at a buck, misjudged the yardage and hit a tree. bleh

Day 2 afternoon - Go into a great area, see nothing. it was a beutfiul day and no tree rats - great day!

Day 3 (this morning) go to my spot, get out and get ready w/ my buddy... and realize i can't find my release... DAMN, must have lost it at the last place. spent part of the day looking for it... no good. Now I have to use my backup release... a wrist release which I need to use my severly injured finger to fire... bleh

god I love hunting!
Old 10-04-2006, 06:32 AM   #6
clemenlp
Diamond in the Rough

Well man I must say that hunters are the only people that if everything that can go wrong does, we will still look forward to going back and doing it again the next day. Even if we suspect the same things are going to happen. God, I love this sport.

Hope you have better luck in the next couple of days.
Clem

P.S. On a lighter note I had my bow checked and everything is alright, just had some mud caked in the cam and between the cables. Also, my Father-in-Law's window isn't going to cost as much as we suspected and insurence will cover 100%. So, we should be back out this weekend, which is good because this is my son's first year bow hunting and I really wanted to be out there with him.

Hey things can get worst, but generally get better.

Some People spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference in the world.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:23 AM   #7
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
Well man I must say that hunters are the only people that if everything that can go wrong does, we will still look forward to going back and doing it again the next day. Even if we suspect the same things are going to happen. God, I love this sport.

Hey things can get worst, but generally get better.
Just found somone selling a replacement release for me (65.00 instead of 110+ new) so hopefully I'll only have to use my backup release for 1 day of hunting instead of several
Old 10-04-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

WOW..................I'm sorry to hear of your bad luck guys. I thought things were rough for me, I was in my blind about an hour before sunrise and had everything just right when all of the sudden here comes a fella up the trail with his light scanning all around like he was just looking for some place to hunt from. Ok I know thats the chances I take when hunting public property, and the fella felt terrible when I spoke up.....oh well no problem we are all brothers of the woods right.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:53 PM   #9
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

HA i thunked i had a bad day ...... im my climber and dropped my freakin release so i climbed down got back up my tree and sat there at 8:30 a huge 150" buck was comin across the alfalfa field and sum (not nice word) pulls off the freakin road and sits there til the deer runs off climbed outta my tree went and found the guy and my dad chewd his a@@ out and i aint seen a deer since then ... that was openin day and ive hunted everyday since
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:16 AM   #10
clemenlp
Diamond in the Rough

Well, I just posted a new thread for the 8 point my son harvested Sunday. It was his first day ever bow hunting and the first buck he's ever gotten.