Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 10-15-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough
Default need to get the groove back

should one waste there only archery tag on a doe to get back into the groove of deer hunting....I am not a deer killer and enjoy every aspect of the hunt.....but w/the last two chances on nice bucks that I have been on going wrong.....I just wonder if i should shoot a doe and get rid of the buck fever that seems to have taken over.......I guess I will just take some time off the next couple of weeks (from hunting) and consentrate on other things that I need to get done.....I need to get fire wood delivered and such.....
Old 10-15-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
should one waste there only archery tag on a doe to get back into the groove of deer hunting....I am not a deer killer and enjoy every aspect of the hunt.....but w/the last two chances on nice bucks that I have been on going wrong.....I just wonder if i should shoot a doe and get rid of the buck fever that seems to have taken over.......I guess I will just take some time off the next couple of weeks (from hunting) and consentrate on other things that I need to get done.....I need to get fire wood delivered and such.....
What license do you buy? With the super sportsman you get 2 tags for archery / muzzleloader. 1 Antlerless and 1 Either sex.

I use my antlerless first. Besides a Doe isn't a waste of a tag. IMO.

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
What license do you buy? With the super sportsman you get 2 tags for archery / muzzleloader. 1 Antlerless and 1 Either sex.

I use my antlerless first. Besides a Doe isn't a waste of a tag. IMO.
I dont feel a doe is a waste of a tag but I beleive that you can only use one of those tags in each season....and I like to hunt w/the muzzle loader so if I use the tag now I am done untill november 17 when regular season opens...

plus i did not get any dmps this year so its three total for me unless someone would like to donate one to me?????
Old 10-15-2006, 07:50 PM   #4
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
I dont feel a doe is a waste of a tag but I beleive that you can only use one of those tags in each season....and I like to hunt w/the muzzle loader so if I use the tag now I am done untill november 17 when regular season opens...

plus i did not get any dmps this year so its three total for me unless someone would like to donate one to me?????
You can use both tags in either season. And you can get leftover DMP's after Nov. 1(first come first serve)

I only got 1 DMP in the lottery but if I get another I'll gladly give it up.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:16 PM   #5
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

I may need it...and will make a donation to the charity of your choice if you would like.....
Old 10-15-2006, 08:25 PM   #6
Frank

Frank is on a distinguished road

Well I would say a kill is a kill(thats my opinon). Its always nice to make a clean kill to fill your tag. I wish I had the opportunity to harvest antlerless deer, Here in AZ. tags are for antlered deer and you can only harvest 1 per calander.(sure do miss KS hunting 1 antlered deer and 4 antlerless all over the counter for archery) was great time while it lasted. To fill a tag with a bow is an accomplishment in itself, so if you are not looking for record book bucks I think does will fill tags just as well.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #7
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
I wish I had the opportunity to harvest antlerless deer, Here in AZ. tags are for antlered deer and you can only harvest 1 per calander.(sure do miss KS hunting 1 antlered deer and 4 antlerless all over the counter for archery) was great time while it lasted.
In NY you can get 1 Antlered for regular season, 1 Either sex Bow/Mz, 1 Antlerless Bow/Mz, and up to 4 more antlerless w/ management permits

Old 10-15-2006, 10:06 PM   #8
UPSTATE

UPSTATE is on a distinguished road

I hunt primarily for the love of Venison and would never consider shooting a doe a waste of a tag. I would however consider shooting a deer with a gun a waste of a tag. All my tags are for bowhunting. I used to love gun hunting but not much anymore.
To answer your question I would say yes you should. I remember when I was in my 20's and bucks seemed like a different creature that I could not kill. I shot a lot of doe before I could keep my cool when something with horns came along.
Don't beat youself up to bad about the missed neck shot, just consider it a lesson learned the hard way.You know the only shot on a whitetail is in the chest and that buck would probably given you the shot if you waited. But when your at full draw and you've been driving tacks all summer on the range, well stuff happenes when adrenaline takes over.
UPSTATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:11 PM   #9
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

upstate what part are you from?
Old 10-15-2006, 10:22 PM   #10
UPSTATE

central new york near syracuse. I hunt jefferson,onondaga,tompkins and cayuga county
saw a couple saturday and sunday but nothing close enough. Pretty slow probably the wind and low pressure.Or maybe it wasn't my time?
Old 10-16-2006, 01:24 PM   #11
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

People are taking what I said wrong....No matter if a person says they are a meat hunter, or not, everyone would like to see some nice bucks in the woods.....So unless I have seen a few nice ones, to just shoot a doe to shoot it is a little disapointing to me......and means that I will spend less time in the woods than I normally would.....and the time I get to spend out there is so limited already.....
Old 10-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #12
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

Welcome Upstate. I'm in Ulster Co.

I should probably change my location to SOUTH UPSTATE NY. What do ya think Bowman?

Old 10-16-2006, 08:21 PM   #13
UPSTATE

I do know where your coming from BOMAN, as much as I love venison if I don't get a chance at a decent buck sometime durning the year I'm a little bummed. Shooting a doe is not the same as shooting a buck as far as seeing it ,having it come in, and all that. Way more exiciting.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:35 PM   #14
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
Welcome Upstate. I'm in Ulster Co.

I should probably change my location to SOUTH UPSTATE NY. What do ya think Bowman?
and southern Ulster County at that......upstate is places like albany lake goerge and the adirondacks......we live in the valley, the hudson valley....

places like syracuse, buffalo and rochester are in western NY.....
Old 10-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #15
UPSTATE

I wish syracuse was western NY. Wesern NY has the best hunting in the state. Syracuse is central NY. Some of the worse hunting in the southern zone. Anything that is not new york city is upstate to me.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:33 PM   #16
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSTATE View Post
Anything that is not new york city is upstate to me.
That's what I always said. Some of the guys I know outta state think that Manhattan goes all the way to Canada. Never knew there were FARMS in NY.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:16 AM   #17
clemenlp
Diamond in the Rough

clemenlp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSTATE View Post
central new york near syracuse. I hunt jefferson,onondaga,tompkins and cayuga county
saw a couple saturday and sunday but nothing close enough. Pretty slow probably the wind and low pressure.Or maybe it wasn't my time?
Ever get as far north as Fort Drum? In the containment area, if you can find a way in, there are some monster bucks that only a few hunt because it is an archery only area. Also, you can only hunt from a tree stand and you have to qualify in order to even be considered. I hunt the ranges on Drum and some state land in St. Lawrence County. If you want to get into the containment area though you better make friends with some soldiers and get a permit.

Some People spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference in the world.
Luckily our Service Men and Women don't have that problem.
clemenlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:19 PM   #18
UPSTATE

I've never hunted Fort Drum and probably never will since I don't know any military personal.
I hunted wellesley island state park for several years and shot a lot of deer including a really nice 8 point over the years.
Now I hunt near cape vincent and shot an 8 point sept 30th on last years buck tag. First weekend on the new spot...a real treat.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:44 AM   #19
clemenlp
Diamond in the Rough

clemenlp is on a distinguished road

Well you can get onto the ranges without knowing a soldier, just get a range pass from their enviromental department. There are some real nice deer in there, but just when you get to know an are they have something going on and shut that area off for a while.

Some People spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference in the world.
Luckily our Service Men and Women don't have that problem.
clemenlp is offline   Reply With Quote