Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 04-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
happy0506

happy0506 is on a distinguished road
Default a little help

i am a beginner to bow hunting because a bunch of my friends are bow hunters. last fall i purchased my first bow last fall and went deer hunting once. i loved it! only saw one doe and didn;t have any chance of shooting, but really enjoyed being out in nature for many hours. this winter i had a pretty serious accident with my snow blower. i stuck my hand where it didn't belong and lost the better part of three fingers and the top part of my thumb. i've accepted the fact that many things in my life will have to change. however, i am also a stubborn person, and i don't want to give up everything. i would really like to continue my new found love of bow hunting. the problem is that i can't use the trigger release for my bow because my index finger is gone. i was in vegas for the shot show and ran into a guy from bowtech who said they have trigger releases that only require that you pull back and twist your wrist. does anyone know where i can find one of these? or, any way i can shoot my bow with my lack of digits? i lost my entire index finger, middle finger above the first knuckle, ring finger above the second knuckle, and thumb from the bottom of the nail up. my pinkey finger was not affected at all.

any help is much appreciated!

thanks!
dan
happy0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy0506 View Post
i am a beginner to bow hunting because a bunch of my friends are bow hunters. last fall i purchased my first bow last fall and went deer hunting once. i loved it! only saw one doe and didn;t have any chance of shooting, but really enjoyed being out in nature for many hours. this winter i had a pretty serious accident with my snow blower. i stuck my hand where it didn't belong and lost the better part of three fingers and the top part of my thumb. i've accepted the fact that many things in my life will have to change. however, i am also a stubborn person, and i don't want to give up everything. i would really like to continue my new found love of bow hunting. the problem is that i can't use the trigger release for my bow because my index finger is gone. i was in vegas for the shot show and ran into a guy from bowtech who said they have trigger releases that only require that you pull back and twist your wrist. does anyone know where i can find one of these? or, any way i can shoot my bow with my lack of digits? i lost my entire index finger, middle finger above the first knuckle, ring finger above the second knuckle, and thumb from the bottom of the nail up. my pinkey finger was not affected at all.

any help is much appreciated!

thanks!
dan
Here is an idea
cut you a trigger out from a long piece of threaded material that will fit a realese that has threaded trigger in it and use your ring or little finger or both

man that had ta hurt and tha best to ya.
oh yeah

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
J.C.

J.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the rough

How about trying a wrist strap caliper release with the head reversed and fire it with your ring or pinky finger?.....

Is this what you were thinking, Smokes?
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #4
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
How about trying a wrist strap caliper release with the head reversed and fire it with your ring or pinky finger?.....

yep
If you will imageion for a second that is a really good way ta hold BT with one of those.
now wheres me a long screw

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Old 04-05-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post

Yeah...that was my first thought...

TRU Ball makes pinky trigger releases and you could try a back tension style. It will take a lot of work to get used to a back tension but so will a regular release with the loss of a couple fingers...

Sorry to hear about your accident but I'm glad to see you're determined to not let it stop you from bowhunting...

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:47 AM   #6
Holy Smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
Yeah...that was my first thought...

TRU Ball makes pinky trigger releases and you could try a back tension style. It will take a lot of work to get used to a back tension but so will a regular release with the loss of a couple fingers...

Sorry to hear about your accident but I'm glad to see you're determined to not let it stop you from bowhunting...
also Jim Fletcher of Fletchmatic makes a pinky fired wrist strap release
it is an old one maybe it could be found and I would say if somebody had one tha price would be right.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
happy0506

happy0506 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the suggestions! i'm going to look for a pinkey release.
happy0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you have thumb left on the second digit. Maybe you can still use it to fire a thumb release. I use a pro diamond thumb release made by tru ball. They're made to recieve a wrist strap as an optional add on. I admire your perseverance. I'll stop whining about my petty problems for a couple days. Good luck.

Last edited by J.Blay; 04-07-2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: error
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote