Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 04-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
swboyz

swboyz is on a distinguished road
Default Shot Placement

I have been hunting for 20 years and just decided to start bow hunting. We have 3 kids that hunt and to teach them the importance of shot placement we have taught them to harvest deer by neck shots. Clean, quick, and no question if you hit them or not. we live in south texas and shoot small calibers .223, 22-250, & 6mm remington. Now to my question, do you have to shoot a deer in the vitals with a bow? Has anyone or can you kill them by shooting them there. i have a 70# diamond black ice bow....
swboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
UPSTATE

UPSTATE is on a distinguished road

Bow hunting requires an entirely different approach compared to the use of firearms. Animals up close and personal and positioning should be broadside or quartering away. Shot and aiming point should be the center of the lungs. Another thing you'll need to get used to is animals will almost always run off after the shot, nothing like a neck shot. Broadheads kills by hemmorage which takes a minimum of 6 seconds give or take, and deer can cover over 100 yards in that time, even with a hole through their heart. Probably closer to 30-40 yards with a good shot though. Best sport on the planet - Enjoy

"The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood" - Emerson
UPSTATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
ohbowhntr

ohbowhntr is on a distinguished road

YES, you DO need to hit them in the vitals for the highest percentage shot, and it's best to wait for a broadside or quartering away shot unless you know the anatomy well. Here's a good diagram....

Bowhunting forum
TT Pronghorns
ohbowhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swboyz View Post
I have been hunting for 20 years and just decided to start bow hunting. We have 3 kids that hunt and to teach them the importance of shot placement we have taught them to harvest deer by neck shots. Clean, quick, and no question if you hit them or not. we live in south texas and shoot small calibers .223, 22-250, & 6mm remington. Now to my question, do you have to shoot a deer in the vitals with a bow? Has anyone or can you kill them by shooting them there. i have a 70# diamond black ice bow....
Definitely shoot for the vitals...

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote