Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 04-22-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
wolf942

wolf942 is on a distinguished road
Default Green Venison

I hear on the radio and tv news how bad farm raised meat is for the enviorment. How much impact raising cattle and pork has on the land.I would like to thank all deer hunters for doing their part in saving the planet ,by eating wild venison as a part of their families protein .Eat more deer its good for the planet.Wolf
wolf942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
OneMustFall

OneMustFall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf942 View Post
I hear on the radio and tv news how bad farm raised meat is for the enviorment. How much impact raising cattle and pork has on the land.I would like to thank all deer hunters for doing their part in saving the planet ,by eating wild venison as a part of their families protein .Eat more deer its good for the planet.Wolf
Ok iam all for eatin venison,but i sure aint gonna stop eatin beef or pork,and since iam a beef producer you need some facts....you sound like opra in Texas.....................
Old 04-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
pred8er
He who eats fuzzy animals

pred8er is on a distinguished road

As much as I like venison, there's just something about a nice sizzling T-bone or pork chops. Let's not forget ribs, mmmmmmmmmmm ribs.

I do try to eat venison atleast 3 times per week.

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.
pred8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
UPSTATE

UPSTATE is on a distinguished road

I raise my own pigs,an occasional steer, and my own meat birds on my small property. My neighbor runs a CSA (community supported agriculture), so my veges are home grown in the summer. When you are on septic and a well you have no impact as far as water and sewage is concerned.Of couse we eat 3 or 4 deer a year also. All this on only 4 acres. More people need to get back to their roots.

"The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood" - Emerson
UPSTATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
MNMike

MNMike is on a distinguished road

This is interesting to me. I am curious how farm raised pork and beef is bad for the environment and how bad any of the negative are. Also, how environmentally friendly is hunting and eating venison? I know I have read/listened to some "save the earth" stories that are way off base.

Quote:
MNMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
wolf942

wolf942 is on a distinguished road
Default Facts

Oprah! My post was not to knock beef . It was to say how eating venison as part of your families meat consumtion is good for the planet.Also how the media never mentions the benefits of venison to your health and the low impact compared to other meats.Everyone enjoys beef .As the demand for beef worldwide increases we need to raise healthier animals using lower impact farming.Anyone with a computer can find the truth about the impact raising livestock has.I have seen farms in other countries and here with less animals per acre and the cattle are beautiful .Oprah my a**.Wolf
wolf942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #7
OneMustFall

OneMustFall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oprah! My post was not to knock beef . It was to say how eating venison as part of your families meat consumtion is good for the planet.Also how the media never mentions the benefits of venison to your health and the low impact compared to other meats.Everyone enjoys beef .As the demand for beef worldwide increases we need to raise healthier animals using lower impact farming.Anyone with a computer can find the truth about the impact raising livestock has.I have seen farms in other countries and here with less animals per acre and the cattle are beautiful .Oprah my a**.Wolf
Then maybe you need to think before you write ,because it did indeed come off like you are knocking beef................which you did....
Old 04-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
Dooby
Scooby Dooby Doo!

Dooby is on a distinguished road

I think the "green" argument against beef/pork/sheep/etc. is typically around the amount of fresh water expended, methane produced, and waste generated (both while they are alive and after).

I don't really think cow farts are going to do us in as a species. The only part of the lot that might have a little merit in my opinion is the amount of water required to raise and feed the animals. On a stretch, you could also argue that cattle (more so pigs) do a number on the land. Ever put a bunch of pigs in hilly country? Makes for a mess. It's amazing how you go through many parts of the country (or the world for that matter) and vast forests are reduced to grass, clover, and dust covered pastures.

Generally speaking, I figure most deer live in the forest and forage. The are very lean (and hence good for those of us with fat around the middle). They don't really cause destruction of the land and we don't clear pastures to put ****loads of them in a small area. If we did...I'm sure the beef debate would include deer (reindeer are already farmed for meet, eh?).

U.S. Beef tastes GOOD...and so was my great granny's fudge (God bless her soul). But too much of either one ain't good for staying upright in the world.

So...in conclusion....cow farts ain't gonna kill us...wild deer are a great alternative meat source while they last, and cows take a lot of land/feed/water/etc. to make one pound of protein compared to other sources. We're American, though....who gives a crap about all of that...we eat what tastes good!

I SOO miss the taste of a nice juicy rare USDA prime steak. I find the beef over here inedible...and this thread has made me hungry!
Old 05-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

We could just let the cattle run wild.......it give me another hunting season....

Now who's gonna help me drag.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
dodgensince74

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMustFall View Post
Then maybe you need to think before you write ,because it did indeed come off like you are knocking beef................which you did....
it didn't read like that to me, it sounded more like he was knocking what the radio had to say. I think he was just being sarcastic about what he heard but then again what do I know , I don't raise beef or pigs, just eat them