Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 05-11-2008, 12:22 AM   #1
brandon45

brandon45 is on a distinguished road
Default New and Ambitious

Hey everyone,
Im new to the sport and Im in my backyard everyday practicing and trying to sight in and what not, anyways I decided its time to get a half dozen arrows fit for hunting...I have decided on the carbon express maxima hunters but need a few questions answered. I shoot a Mathews FX2 27" draw length and 60# pull. I have a trophy taker pronghorn fall away rest. I need to know what weight of arrows I should get and what length as well as broadheads to look into. Any help would be great!!!
brandon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:23 AM   #2
J.C.

J.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the rough

for your draw length and poundage you'd need the 250's. are you going to buy them at a shop or order them online? if you get them at a shop, I'd draw one before it's cut and have someone mark it at least 1/2" past the launcher of your rest. 100 gr broadheads are probably the most popular. are you looking at fixed blade or mechanicals?
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:28 AM   #3
brandon45

Im looking at using FOB'S and im very interested in g5 strikers let me know if all that is a good combo
Old 05-11-2008, 01:35 AM   #4
J.C.

J.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the rough

I haven't tried the either but both have gotten good reviews.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:18 AM   #5
pred8er
He who eats fuzzy animals

pred8er is on a distinguished road

I'll second what JC said about drawing the arrows and marking them before cutting. It might just save you from having to purchase another doz.

I personally use fixed blade broad heads (100 gr) because they never fail to open, less to go wrong if your bow is tuned. Either one will work for you, but you should try to find what shoots the best for you.

I think FOB's are a little gimmicky, but honestly I haven't tried them yet. Everyone is raving about how great they are, so it's just a matter of time before I try them. I suggest that if you use them, get a bright color arrow wrap because it can be very hard to find a black or camo arrow in the woods after a pass through shot without some kind of contrasting color. I heard of one individual who lost an arrow because he didn't have the wraps (I don't remember if he found the animal or not )

Good luck, and again, welcome to the sight!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.
pred8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:15 AM   #6
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum Brandon,
Good choice for arrows...250's cut like JC suggested will do it. I use Muzzy fixed 3 blade 100gr, the striker is also a good head as well as the G5 Montech...

As for FOB's...I have never used them, and I also think they are a bit of a gimmick. On the 3d course I see them get busted up by other shooters arrows and fo hunting I think they will prevent a pass through like a stop(at least a complete pass through)

It's all personal preference, so the choice is really up to you in the end...
and hey it's only arrows they are easy to change things on...
Good luck, and keep posting...

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
brandon45

what exactly makes a bow tuned right for fixed blades?
Old 05-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon45 View Post
what exactly makes a bow tuned right for fixed blades?
Well...
when you get your bow tuned for feild points, if it is actually tuned properly a fixed broadhead will hit pretty close, then it's usually just a matter of tweaking the rest a bit

Old 05-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #9
brandon45

so since my bow is tuned I should be able to get 6 carbon express maxima hunter 250 pre fletched with 2 inch blazers and screw in my striker g5 and be good to go?
Old 05-11-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

You may have to re-adjust the rest slightly but yes...

Old 05-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #11
brandon45

Im gonna pick them up on saturday and have the guy help fine tune everything and ill let you know how it goes
Old 05-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

good luck and keep us posted...

Old 05-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #13
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=brandon45;170087]Im gonna pick them up on saturday and have the guy help fine tune everything and ill let you know how it goes [/QUO
It looks like you've chosen exellent shafts and broadheads. I'm not trying to change your mind, but here's my experience in arrow selection and broadhead tuning. I shoot 60# with a 29" draw. I had to step up to the 350 spine to tune properly. I also found Carbon Express terminator Lt. selects(6075 spine) to refletch easier than coated shaftes like the Maxima, and they are just as straight and nearly the same grains per inch at 70.00 per doz. Using bullet style points greatly reduces robinhoods and fletching damage during practice. I got tired of tuning for my thunderhead 100 grains every whitetail season, so I switched to Atom razor wire broadheads made by Arrowdynamic Solutions. They guarentee exact same impact point as target tips or your money back. The three deer I've hit with Atoms have left fair to heavy blood trails and ran 100, 30 and 20 yards each. The 100 yard trail only punctured one lung. Hope you have fun!
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote