Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 08-10-2008, 05:49 AM   #1
MTColl28734

MTColl28734 is on a distinguished road
Default Scent Control Products

Is there much difference between the dozens of products out there? The Wal-Mart here carries Hunter's Specialties and my local shop carries Dead Down Wind. All things being equal, I'll buy from the local guys. But if all's not equal.....

Kind of on the same subject, what's your experience been with scent attractants? Does it make sense to go with doe scents early in the season, or should I go with acorn/apple/whatever now and save the other stuff for the rut?

Can you tell I'm new to this?
MTColl28734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Werd

Werd is on a distinguished road

I use the same stuff from walmart. Never had a deer sniff me out.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Jay284
Shoot straight!

Jay284 is on a distinguished road

I dont really shop at wal-mart, but k-mart has basically the same stuff, and it works fine for me. I never had a deer tell me otherwise!

I wont get into why I dont shop at wal-mart. I could rant on and on, and it might take years before I finish!
Old 08-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?

kbohunt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kbohunt
Default ha there

scent control
well from years back i still do the same thing and dont have a problem
bakeing soda.. i take a bath in it..wash my cloths in it..and put it in my boots..even brush my teeth with it ..
and cover spray from hunter speciltys..yes i use it i add white oak acorn 2 it and spray when i get out my truck on the way in the woods.
earth scent waffers..2 on my hat and my sholder
tinks 69 in pre rut..in 35 mm film canisters with cotton..not the gel
buck-stop-whiteoak acorn scent..early season and on thru..just a little on my brim of my hat.
tinks-silver vixon fox's scent..on the out sides of my pants on the way into the woods...especially in the pre-rut when im pullin a scent drag.
thats it..
dont pull the tinks 69 out until about oct.20th and use thru nov.15

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
Arrows..beman ICS hunter
SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
FBSA-MEMBER
Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Last edited by kbohunt; 08-10-2008 at 02:42 PM.
kbohunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

HS suits me fine. I could have smacked a couple of does last year while using it. I wash my clothes in it and store them outside to keep house scent down. I also use the body wash and spray down before I go out. I cannot say that deer do not smell it, but it seems they don't smell you. When they are directly down wind you can see them kind of get curious about the smell(often coming closer to check it out), but they do not bolt as if they smelled a hunter. Why spend more for the crazy silver and ozone stuff?
Tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
Werd

Werd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay284 View Post
I dont really shop at wal-mart, but k-mart has basically the same stuff, and it works fine for me. I never had a deer tell me otherwise!

I wont get into why I dont shop at wal-mart. I could rant on and on, and it might take years before I finish!
Lol. I work at wal-mart. HeHe
Old 08-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
Bobut

Bobut is on a distinguished road

Don't get me wrong I do believe in the stuff and have tried different things but still haven't found the right combination for me. I know people who's breath will knock you over from ten feet but don't know of any product out there for that. When I was a kid I cleard a shooting lane and then sat in my tree stand about five minutes later a buck and doe walked up to the lane and the doe would not go near it, the buck was oblivious. She turned and walked away and the buck followed her. I have a friend who releived himself out of hid tree stand and had a doe come and sniff it so go figure? I'll keep trying stuf but like I said I still haven't found the right combination for me. I will take suggestions though.
Bob
Bobut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:11 AM   #8
MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay284;184183[B
]I dont really shop at wal-mart, [/B]but k-mart has basically the same stuff, and it works fine for me. I never had a deer tell me otherwise!

I used Dead Down Wind the lsat times I went out. I always wash down everything with baking soda (including myself) I usually always bag my hunting clothes and pine or cedar clippings or branches in the bag. I've even have gone to the point of watching what I eat for the week before. I stay away from anything spicy and eat a lot of salads. I don't know if that helps but was taught as a child to do so by my uncles. Way before all these scent products became popular.

Been Union too long (42+ years). I'll do without before I shop walmart, I live by my own principals not just talk them.
MoSkeeter0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:41 AM   #9
Tenderfoot

Default reply

They do make scent stuff-stopper producst for bad breath(gums and sprays). But who the heck hunts with their slack jaw open anyways? I've also seen bucks and does sniff out human leakage . Guess they think people are trying to challenge their dominance or eat their clover. They probably rarely smell the stuff, and are naturaly curious. On the same note, I've had many a critter (not usauly deer) run up to my feeder and just pee all over the corn???
Old 08-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter is on a distinguished road

ive always used Hunter's Specialties and never had a problem with it. and as far as peeing off the tree stand ive done it many times and acually had a buck make a scrape on it.
MichiganHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #11
J.C.

J.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganHunter View Post
ive always used Hunter's Specialties and never had a problem with it. and as far as peeing off the tree stand ive done it many times and acually had a buck make a scrape on it.
I would've been looking over my shoulder walking out of the woods..........
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #12
MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 is on a distinguished road

I think wind direction is the main thing as well as hunter pressure. I've had deer that I've almost have to push out of my way while on a tractor in the fields that didn't seem afraid of me at all.

What amazes me also is that how many hunters don't think about their equipment when they De-scent. Especially gun hunters. I've seen many a one put on scent blockers but then have a bunch of oil on their rifles. Do any of you spray de-scenters on your setups? Especially the leather or nylon straps that you have to keep from dropping your bows? They have been absorbing your sweat all summer long.
MoSkeeter0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #13
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

All these scent controle products do is provide an edge. Favorable wind direction is still the best way not to get smelled. I use all the scent controle measures I am willing to take the time for, including washing everything that touches my skin in Sports Wash after every hunt, and everything else I ware every 2 or 3 outings. I use Scent Shield sprays. I either leave my clothes hanging outside, or store them in a plastic tote with pine and cedar. I like to make a mock scrape and hang a buck urine dripper over it that only dispences in the morning. I'll do this over an existing scrape, also. I hang various other scents out only while I'm hunting. Which ones depends on which stage of the rut bucks are in at the time. I've had bucks reactions vary to the same set up with everything from indifferance, to stomping in with an attitude that scared me. I like trying new stuff every year. Life is a wonderful adventure. I'm going to live it. Have fun!
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #14
Bobut

Bobut is on a distinguished road

I do wear rubber boots all the time now and step in streams or when I find droppings I'll kinda grind my boots in it and will spray them down with earth scent. But the scents that you hang around stands I don't know about. I've tried the golden estrus and such but don't see any intrest from the deer when they come around. I'll keep on trying though.
I've gotta tell this story!
I just made it back to the truck one night and knew I could'nt make it home so I dug a hole in the sand and did the deed. I had to use an old tee shirt to wipe myself and then I burried the mess. The next night when I got to my parking spot the I noticed the coyotes had dug it up and dragged the tee shirt about twenty feet from where I had burried it.
Gross huh?
Bob
Bobut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #15
MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobut View Post
I do wear rubber boots all the time now and step in streams or when I find droppings I'll kinda grind my boots in it and will spray them down with earth scent. But the scents that you hang around stands I don't know about. I've tried the golden estrus and such but don't see any intrest from the deer when they come around. I'll keep on trying though.
I've gotta tell this story!
I just made it back to the truck one night and knew I could'nt make it home so I dug a hole in the sand and did the deed. I had to use an old tee shirt to wipe myself and then I burried the mess. The next night when I got to my parking spot the I noticed the coyotes had dug it up and dragged the tee shirt about twenty feet from where I had burried it.
Gross huh?
Bob
MichiganHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:20 PM   #16
red man

red man is on a distinguished road

give this a try it works 4 me i make my own sent away

2 cups of hydrogen peroxide
2 cups of distilled water
1/2 cup of baking soda
1oz of scent free shampoo that green stuff from wall mart
hope this helps i have never had a deer tell me different let me know what you think of this guys
2008 Mathews Switchback XT
Mathews Ovation blubbery
red man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #17
Tenderfoot

Default reply

the first time I went hunting a few years back I about went crazy trying to figure out what was wrong with my gun-hunting friend. I was like 16 and he was 14 and used to taking 200 yard shots with his dad from a feild away(scent is not an issue). We were going to be hunting by ourselves, so we figured we'd use our bows which we'd been shooting for a little while. We weren't bad shots. Anyways, I washed all my stuff in salt(to absorb sweat) and baking soda and dryed it outside, and brushed my teeth with Bsoda. I did everything I could to not be detected by the ominously sensitive noses of the deer...I go by my friends house to hunt, knock on his door and out he comes smelling like a freakin smoke-stack(his parents were chimneys) wearing his same old leather jacket he'd wore everyday that year. I was so confused as to why he would care so little about his smell. It just doesn't matter when you are a gun hunter I guess. Anyways, I made him roll in the grass for like 10 minutes to help disguise his scent and then we played the wind hard. Saw a couple does 20 yards out of comfortable range(30 yards). Looking back now with my fancy compound, I'd have shot them in a heartbeat.