Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum
 

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 07:58 AM   #1
jdawg240
BOWNUTS
 
jdawg240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,442
jdawg240 is on a distinguished road
Default Michigan Baiting

Just read all the press releases this morning. ALL BAITING IS NOW BAINED IN THE LOWER PENNISULA!!!! WOW!!!!!!! They found one captive deer in southern lower pennisula with CWD and now have bained all forms of feeding or baiting wildlife! This should be interesting !
__________________
I never miss, my arrows always hit something
FBSA STAFF GRILLER
jdawg240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
dodgensince74
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

at least its a good reason for banning it, you don't want that stuff to spread.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
MichiganHunter
Senior Member
 
MichiganHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Clinton Township, MI.
Posts: 976
MichiganHunter is on a distinguished road
Default

the bad part of it is that they are already selling it and all the places that do sell it will continue to sell it anyway.
__________________
FBSA MEMBER
http://www.thefbsa.com/
counting down till next season!
MichiganHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
MichiganHunter
Senior Member
 
MichiganHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Clinton Township, MI.
Posts: 976
MichiganHunter is on a distinguished road
Default

we can always hit the up!
__________________
FBSA MEMBER
http://www.thefbsa.com/
counting down till next season!
MichiganHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
fstgstdsmpay
Adam of Archery Outfitter
 
fstgstdsmpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SE MI or Tulsa OK
Posts: 222
fstgstdsmpay is on a distinguished road
Default

Where is the link to this its not on the DNR website that I found. We have not been baiting for years now but my neighbor baits ike crazy
__________________
Victory Staff http://www.victoryarchery.com/
Range-O-Matic Staff http://www.spin-wing.com/
Team Posten Staff http://www.jimposten.com
QDM FOR MICHIGAN http://www.qdma.com/

My CAMO SPACE http://www.camospace.com/fstgstdsmpay
fstgstdsmpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
elkcrazy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12
elkcrazy is on a distinguished road
Default

Hey Jdawg where did you see the baiting ban? I see they found a captive case of CWD, but nothing on baiting. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a ban, but I know plenty of people who will cry about it.
elkcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
fstgstdsmpay
Adam of Archery Outfitter
 
fstgstdsmpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SE MI or Tulsa OK
Posts: 222
fstgstdsmpay is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganHunter View Post
the bad part of it is that they are already selling it and all the places that do sell it will continue to sell it anyway.
They sell bait in states that it is banned to baiting, but its still illegal to use it
__________________
Victory Staff http://www.victoryarchery.com/
Range-O-Matic Staff http://www.spin-wing.com/
Team Posten Staff http://www.jimposten.com
QDM FOR MICHIGAN http://www.qdma.com/

My CAMO SPACE http://www.camospace.com/fstgstdsmpay
fstgstdsmpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
fstgstdsmpay
Adam of Archery Outfitter
 
fstgstdsmpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SE MI or Tulsa OK
Posts: 222
fstgstdsmpay is on a distinguished road
Default

Just Called the DNR and confirmid it NO BAITING IN THE LOWER PENINSULA
__________________
Victory Staff http://www.victoryarchery.com/
Range-O-Matic Staff http://www.spin-wing.com/
Team Posten Staff http://www.jimposten.com
QDM FOR MICHIGAN http://www.qdma.com/

My CAMO SPACE http://www.camospace.com/fstgstdsmpay
fstgstdsmpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
Slice
The Fobinator
 
Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 824
Slice is on a distinguished road
Default

Well whether you are for it or against it this will put a dent in the Mom and Pop shops that sell bait to help them get through the year. This is just one more dent in Michigans economy.
__________________
Elite Synergy (311 FPS) - GT Arrows - Sling Braid
Zona Archery Longbow - Cedar Arrows

Keeping the FBSA in fashionable clothing
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
fstgstdsmpay
Adam of Archery Outfitter
 
fstgstdsmpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SE MI or Tulsa OK
Posts: 222
fstgstdsmpay is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
Well whether you are for it or against it this will put a dent in the Mom and Pop shops that sell bait to help them get through the year. This is just one more dent in Michigans economy.
Yeah but in all reality we sold corn at are shop last year and it sucked we didnt make squat off of it. Just got people in the store
__________________
Victory Staff http://www.victoryarchery.com/
Range-O-Matic Staff http://www.spin-wing.com/
Team Posten Staff http://www.jimposten.com
QDM FOR MICHIGAN http://www.qdma.com/

My CAMO SPACE http://www.camospace.com/fstgstdsmpay
fstgstdsmpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
Slice
The Fobinator
 
Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 824
Slice is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstgstdsmpay View Post
Yeah but in all reality we sold corn at are shop last year and it sucked we didnt make squat off of it. Just got people in the store
Yeah I know there may not be a high profit margin in it, but it is enough to keep someone on a fixed income going. It just took a reason away for me to stop.
__________________
Elite Synergy (311 FPS) - GT Arrows - Sling Braid
Zona Archery Longbow - Cedar Arrows

Keeping the FBSA in fashionable clothing
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #12
kebees4
Senior Member
 
kebees4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 354
kebees4 is on a distinguished road
Default

What about food plots? That is baiting. Nothing wrong with putting it out or sitting by a fruit tree as bait. Whats the difference of a food plot or a pile of corn.
kebees4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:29 AM   #13
I missed
Senior Member
 
I missed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Traverse city, Michigan
Posts: 564
I missed is on a distinguished road
Default

this will not stop many people from baiting, im not to worried about it except that it makes trail cam pics alot harder to get
__________________
Parker Hornet 28" 70#
easton epic 400gr. RAGE 2 blade
I missed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:42 AM   #14
Slice
The Fobinator
 
Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 824
Slice is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebees4 View Post
What about food plots? That is baiting. Nothing wrong with putting it out or sitting by a fruit tree as bait. Whats the difference of a food plot or a pile of corn.
Food plots are not considered feeding or baiting .

I know this is probably for the best, but the economic value will be huge. There are farmers that just grow feed, and truckers that will loose hauling contracts, Mom and Pop stores that will loose revenue, etc. This will probably go into the 100's of millions in economic damage.
__________________
Elite Synergy (311 FPS) - GT Arrows - Sling Braid
Zona Archery Longbow - Cedar Arrows

Keeping the FBSA in fashionable clothing
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #15
elkcrazy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12
elkcrazy is on a distinguished road
Default

I agree with you Slice. It will be a big hit on some of the smaller places, especially up north. With gas prices up, more people are already staying down south to hunt. This will probably put a real hurt on the small places that have dump truck loads out front. Don't expect it to get any better around here any time soon, either...
elkcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #16
fstgstdsmpay
Adam of Archery Outfitter
 
fstgstdsmpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SE MI or Tulsa OK
Posts: 222
fstgstdsmpay is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
Food plots are not considered feeding or baiting .

I know this is probably for the best, but the economic value will be huge. There are farmers that just grow feed, and truckers that will loose hauling contracts, Mom and Pop stores that will loose revenue, etc. This will probably go into the 100's of millions in economic damage.
Food Plots are not considered baiting. Although it is. Its just something you had to grow for the purpose of attracting deer. No one is saying you can hunt over corn. You just have to grow it yourself.

100's of millions I think not its not that big of an industrie there is les than a million hunters in MI and I dont know one person that puts out 100 dollars worth of bait. Yes it will hurt the little guy but in the long run I think it will be a good thing for are deer herd.
__________________
Victory Staff http://www.victoryarchery.com/
Range-O-Matic Staff http://www.spin-wing.com/
Team Posten Staff http://www.jimposten.com
QDM FOR MICHIGAN http://www.qdma.com/

My CAMO SPACE http://www.camospace.com/fstgstdsmpay
fstgstdsmpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #17
Slice
The Fobinator
 
Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 824
Slice is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstgstdsmpay View Post
Food Plots are not considered baiting. Although it is. Its just something you had to grow for the purpose of attracting deer. No one is saying you can hunt over corn. You just have to grow it yourself.

100's of millions I think not its not that big of an industrie there is les than a million hunters in MI and I dont know one person that puts out 100 dollars worth of bait. Yes it will hurt the little guy but in the long run I think it will be a good thing for are deer herd.
It is the trickle down effect. People will not make the 3 or 4 extra trips up to put out bait. This means the local economy will not have all those people eating in the restaurants or staying in the motels. The Northern Michigan economy is so fragile. Talk to the farm market owners in Northern Michigan, they make upwards of $75,000 a year on bait used for hunting and recreational feeding. Then add the mineral supplements like salt licks which are now also banned. The farmers that just grow carrots and sugar beets for baiting.

I know the old saying if you throw corn on the ground it is baiting, but if you cover it with dirt you are making a food plot.
__________________
Elite Synergy (311 FPS) - GT Arrows - Sling Braid
Zona Archery Longbow - Cedar Arrows

Keeping the FBSA in fashionable clothing

Last edited by Slice; 08-26-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #18
fstgstdsmpay
Adam of Archery Outfitter
 
fstgstdsmpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SE MI or Tulsa OK
Posts: 222
fstgstdsmpay is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
It is the trickle down effect. People will not make the 3 or 4 extra trips up to put out bait. This means the local economy will not have all those people eating in the restaurants or staying in the motels. The Northern Michigan economy is so fragile. Talk to the farm market owners in Northern Michigan, they make upwards of $75,000 a year on bait used for hunting and recreational feeding. Then add the mineral supplements like salt licks which are now also banned.

NO I agree with you, it does hurt the little guy thats for sure. I know I have a house in Lake City I know how bad the economy is there, and across the entire state for that matter. Thats why im working in CT right now. But what I want are northern michigan deer herd to bounce back, I have a few places up there were we see good deer, but the vast majority of hunting land that we used to hunt 20 years ago yields very poor numbers. I think this is going to take pressure off of those areas and the yearlings that could pounded year after year and let the area develop. And the last thing you want is an outbreak of another deer virus in MI
__________________
Victory Staff http://www.victoryarchery.com/
Range-O-Matic Staff http://www.spin-wing.com/
Team Posten Staff http://www.jimposten.com
QDM FOR MICHIGAN http://www.qdma.com/

My CAMO SPACE http://www.camospace.com/fstgstdsmpay
fstgstdsmpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #19
jdawg240
BOWNUTS
 
jdawg240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,442
jdawg240 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcrazy View Post
Hey Jdawg where did you see the baiting ban? I see they found a captive case of CWD, but nothing on baiting. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a ban, but I know plenty of people who will cry about it.
I got a call from a solid scource yesterday that this was coming.
__________________
I never miss, my arrows always hit something
FBSA STAFF GRILLER
jdawg240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:44 PM   #20
Slice
The Fobinator
 
Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 824
Slice is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstgstdsmpay View Post
NO I agree with you, it does hurt the little guy thats for sure. I know I have a house in Lake City I know how bad the economy is there, and across the entire state for that matter. Thats why im working in CT right now. But what I want are northern michigan deer herd to bounce back, I have a few places up there were we see good deer, but the vast majority of hunting land that we used to hunt 20 years ago yields very poor numbers. I think this is going to take pressure off of those areas and the yearlings that could pounded year after year and let the area develop. And the last thing you want is an outbreak of another deer virus in MI
This no doubt will help the deer population. At least now the 1 1/2 year old bucks and buttons have a better chance of surviving.
__________________
Elite Synergy (311 FPS) - GT Arrows - Sling Braid
Zona Archery Longbow - Cedar Arrows

Keeping the FBSA in fashionable clothing
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #21
Hook Em
Slippy for President
 
Hook Em's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Home in Texas
Posts: 1,938
Hook Em is on a distinguished road
Default

maybe they should just regulate how you must spread out your corn...instead of one big pile, disperse it in an area (similar to that of a food plot)

do they have a minimum size that a food plot has to be?
__________________
Hook 'Em Horns
Hook Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:03 PM   #22
fstgstdsmpay
Adam of Archery Outfitter
 
fstgstdsmpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SE MI or Tulsa OK
Posts: 222
fstgstdsmpay is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook Em View Post
maybe they should just regulate how you must spread out your corn...instead of one big pile, disperse it in an area (similar to that of a food plot)

do they have a minimum size that a food plot has to be?
That was the way it has been the lat couple of years in MI. By law it was 2 gallons over a 10 foot area. But people were still just dumping piles. Its better this way last thing we need is deer spreading disease's here. We delt with it once and it wasnt pretty. Much better for the herd this way

Nope, No minimum
__________________
Victory Staff http://www.victoryarchery.com/
Range-O-Matic Staff http://www.spin-wing.com/
Team Posten Staff http://www.jimposten.com
QDM FOR MICHIGAN http://www.qdma.com/

My CAMO SPACE http://www.camospace.com/fstgstdsmpay
fstgstdsmpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #23
Slice
The Fobinator
 
Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 824
Slice is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstgstdsmpay View Post
That was the way it has been the lat couple of years in MI. By law it was 2 gallons over a 10 foot area. But people were still just dumping piles. Its better this way last thing we need is deer spreading disease's here. We delt with it once and it wasnt pretty. Much better for the herd this way

Nope, No minimum
Yes and we know how they handled that! Almost TOTAL annihilation of the herd in area 452. They gave all the cattle farmers permission to shoot any deer that stepped on there grazing fields (no permit needed). I spoke to a farmer that was bragging about shooting over 200 deer in one summer. I ask what he did with the deer, he said we piled them up over in the corner of his property and the DNR would come and pick them up. I wanted to put my size 12 boot upside his head.
__________________
Elite Synergy (311 FPS) - GT Arrows - Sling Braid
Zona Archery Longbow - Cedar Arrows

Keeping the FBSA in fashionable clothing
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:23 PM   #24
MichiganHunter
Senior Member
 
MichiganHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Clinton Township, MI.
Posts: 976
MichiganHunter is on a distinguished road
Default

article in news

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...60366/1032/ENT
__________________
FBSA MEMBER
http://www.thefbsa.com/
counting down till next season!
MichiganHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #25
Hook Em
Slippy for President
 
Hook Em's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Home in Texas
Posts: 1,938
Hook Em is on a distinguished road
Default

why don't we have the CWD problem in Texas? Does it have something to do with the climate or something..??? Cause we have been using corn feeders since corn feeders were born! Although the feeders don't dump piles....well I guess some do
__________________
Hook 'Em Horns
Hook Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #26
MichiganHunter
Senior Member
 
MichiganHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Clinton Township, MI.
Posts: 976
MichiganHunter is on a distinguished road
Default

CWD is like madcow.

CWD info.
http://www.cwd-info.org/index.php/fuseaction/about.main
__________________
FBSA MEMBER
http://www.thefbsa.com/
counting down till next season!
MichiganHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #27
fstgstdsmpay
Adam of Archery Outfitter
 
fstgstdsmpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SE MI or Tulsa OK
Posts: 222
fstgstdsmpay is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook Em View Post
why don't we have the CWD problem in Texas? Does it have something to do with the climate or something..??? Cause we have been using corn feeders since corn feeders were born! Although the feeders don't dump piles....well I guess some do
This is are first case its making its wayt around the country. Cross your fingers and hope it doesnt come your way
__________________
Victory Staff http://www.victoryarchery.com/
Range-O-Matic Staff http://www.spin-wing.com/
Team Posten Staff http://www.jimposten.com
QDM FOR MICHIGAN http://www.qdma.com/

My CAMO SPACE http://www.camospace.com/fstgstdsmpay
fstgstdsmpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #28
Tenderfoot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 176
Tenderfoot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Bait is neccissary in texas and other super-thick areas where you can go lifetimes without seeing deer. It also grows them nice and big . But why do you need bait in MI. I was up there this summer and there are almost no trees anywhere, where they are they are thin, and there is natural bait(corn on the stalk) all over the place!
Tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #29
bowcraze30
Senior Member
 
bowcraze30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 1,304
bowcraze30 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderfoot View Post
Bait is neccissary in texas and other super-thick areas where you can go lifetimes without seeing deer. It also grows them nice and big . But why do you need bait in MI. I was up there this summer and there are almost no trees anywhere, where they are they are thin, and there is natural bait(corn on the stalk) all over the place!
i dont know where you rwere in michigan because there are definatly trees and thick forrests all over the place.
bowcraze30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:17 PM   #30
jdawg240
BOWNUTS
 
jdawg240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,442
jdawg240 is on a distinguished road
Default

1.The only way I see any enforcement working is by first banning the sale of bait. Whats the point in banning baiting if stores will still sell the stuff?


2.We have plenty of tree's trust me You must have been in the thumb?

3. The only good thing to come of this is the deer wont suddnely change all their patterns 5 days before gun season when the Orange army starts dumping beets and carrots all over the place
__________________
I never miss, my arrows always hit something
FBSA STAFF GRILLER
jdawg240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #31
elkcrazy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12
elkcrazy is on a distinguished road
Default

There's a press release on the DNR site now stating that baiting is indeed illegal in the lower.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...8877--,00.html
elkcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:25 AM   #32
fstgstdsmpay
Adam of Archery Outfitter
 
fstgstdsmpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SE MI or Tulsa OK
Posts: 222
fstgstdsmpay is on a distinguished road
Default

Wow heres the link to the detroit news article on it. Game ranches are screwed you cant take any deer off of the ranches. Thats a big ouch for those guys.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...366/-1/ARCHIVE
__________________
Victory Staff http://www.victoryarchery.com/
Range-O-Matic Staff http://www.spin-wing.com/
Team Posten Staff http://www.jimposten.com
QDM FOR MICHIGAN http://www.qdma.com/

My CAMO SPACE http://www.camospace.com/fstgstdsmpay
fstgstdsmpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:36 AM   #33
fstgstdsmpay
Adam of Archery Outfitter
 
fstgstdsmpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SE MI or Tulsa OK
Posts: 222
fstgstdsmpay is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg240 View Post
1.The only way I see any enforcement working is by first banning the sale of bait. Whats the point in banning baiting if stores will still sell the stuff? :

You can never stop the selling bait, they still sell bait in most states where its illegal. But we as hunters need to help the CO's in locating the violaters. I for one will always turn over people violating are state game laws.
__________________
Victory Staff http://www.victoryarchery.com/
Range-O-Matic Staff http://www.spin-wing.com/
Team Posten Staff http://www.jimposten.com
QDM FOR MICHIGAN http://www.qdma.com/

My CAMO SPACE http://www.camospace.com/fstgstdsmpay
fstgstdsmpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:58 AM   #34
jdawg240
BOWNUTS
 
jdawg240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,442
jdawg240 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstgstdsmpay View Post
You can never stop the selling bait, they still sell bait in most states where its illegal. But we as hunters need to help the CO's in locating the violaters. I for one will always turn over people violating are state game laws.
Why not????? You cant sell drugs,,you cant sell snagging hooks, you cant sell illegal fireworks. I think they could ban it, it's just a matter if they would.

I hunt with a old guy who is handicap. He can shoot a gun and shoot a bow(sitting down) but can only walk with a cane and only short distances. We built him a nice elevated blind last year so he could start bowhunting with us. He uses bait to draw deer in close for him during bow season. As much as I support the DNR and the ban on baiting it saddnes me that mt buddy will have a very difficult time harvesting a deer with his bow. But the law is the law and we will not break it.
__________________
I never miss, my arrows always hit something
FBSA STAFF GRILLER
jdawg240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #35
Slice
The Fobinator
 
Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 824
Slice is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg240 View Post
Why not????? You cant sell drugs,,you cant sell snagging hooks, you cant sell illegal fireworks. I think they could ban it, it's just a matter if they would.

I hunt with a old guy who is handicap. He can shoot a gun and shoot a bow(sitting down) but can only walk with a cane and only short distances. We built him a nice elevated blind last year so he could start bowhunting with us. He uses bait to draw deer in close for him during bow season. As much as I support the DNR and the ban on baiting it saddnes me that mt buddy will have a very difficult time harvesting a deer with his bow. But the law is the law and we will not break it.
I think they could stop the sale next year. But I don't think some of these farmers can just plow their fields under. I imagion someone would have to pay for that and it most likely would be the taxpayers. Most of the bait has already been purchased on contracts, I would think law suits will be following this decision from the Agricultural and Business community.

JDawg you may just need to plant your hunter a food plot in front of his stand and a couple Apple Trees.
__________________
Elite Synergy (311 FPS) - GT Arrows - Sling Braid
Zona Archery Longbow - Cedar Arrows

Keeping the FBSA in fashionable clothing
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #36
fstgstdsmpay
Adam of Archery Outfitter
 
fstgstdsmpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SE MI or Tulsa OK
Posts: 222
fstgstdsmpay is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg240 View Post
Why not????? You cant sell drugs,,you cant sell snagging hooks, you cant sell illegal fireworks. I think they could ban it, it's just a matter if they would. .

I think bait will not be sold by gas stations, party stores, things like that. But at the same time, places like your local mills will still carry corn, and places like bass pro will still be selling those acorns in a bag, and buck jam and things of that nature. But by far we wont be seeing the piles on everycorner forsale any longer.
__________________
Victory Staff http://www.victoryarchery.com/
Range-O-Matic Staff http://www.spin-wing.com/
Team Posten Staff http://www.jimposten.com
QDM FOR MICHIGAN http://www.qdma.com/

My CAMO SPACE http://www.camospace.com/fstgstdsmpay
fstgstdsmpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:38 AM   #37
MichiganHunter
Senior Member
 
MichiganHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Clinton Township, MI.
Posts: 976
MichiganHunter is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstgstdsmpay View Post
I think bait will not be sold by gas stations, party stores, things like that. But at the same time, places like your local mills will still carry corn, and places like bass pro will still be selling those acorns in a bag, and buck jam and things of that nature. But by far we wont be seeing the piles on everycorner forsale any longer.
where i hunt bait has been baned ever since they discovered the deer with TB and all the places still sell it, even the gas stations & party stores. i dont think its going to change a thing.
__________________
FBSA MEMBER
http://www.thefbsa.com/
counting down till next season!
MichiganHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #38
fstgstdsmpay
Adam of Archery Outfitter
 
fstgstdsmpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SE MI or Tulsa OK
Posts: 222
fstgstdsmpay is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganHunter View Post
where i hunt bait has been baned ever since they discovered the deer with TB and all the places still sell it, even the gas stations & party stores. i dont think its going to change a thing.
Well yes it wont stop violators from Baiting thats why we have CO's and responsable sportsmen and women to follow the laws and to report anyone who isnt. If they banned guns it wouldnt mean criminals wouldnt have them. Just because its avaliable doesnt give you the right to use it. And you have to remember it was still legal in the areas surrounding the TB zone, now thats its completely illegal accross the board, I think we will see a drastic decline in the sale of bait.
__________________
Victory Staff http://www.victoryarchery.com/
Range-O-Matic Staff http://www.spin-wing.com/
Team Posten Staff http://www.jimposten.com
QDM FOR MICHIGAN http://www.qdma.com/

My CAMO SPACE http://www.camospace.com/fstgstdsmpay

Last edited by fstgstdsmpay; 08-27-2008 at 10:18 AM.
fstgstdsmpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:13 PM   #39
dodgensince74
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

remember it is only illegal to use the bait in that area, not sell it.

I am wondering if the state or feds will go in there and destroy all the captive deer in those areas that test positive to protect the other areas where the deer are still clean? I know they can't do much with the wild population but most of the penned hunt operations may be a little different.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #40
MichiganHunter
Senior Member
 
MichiganHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Clinton Township, MI.
Posts: 976
MichiganHunter is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstgstdsmpay View Post
Well yes it wont stop violators from Baiting thats why we have CO's and responsable sportsmen and women to follow the laws and to report anyone who isnt. If they banned guns it wouldnt mean criminals wouldnt have them. Just because its avaliable doesnt give you the right to use it. And you have to remember it was still legal in the areas surrounding the TB zone, now thats its completely illegal accross the board, I think we will see a drastic decline in the sale of bait.
the sad fact about all that is people dont care. they will still buy it and use it. the CO's wont do anything about it because they are so few and far between. the state cant afford to pay them. in my area we used to have alot of them. in the past 10 years i havent even see one in the field. there all at the deer check stations.
__________________
FBSA MEMBER
http://www.thefbsa.com/
counting down till next season!
MichiganHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 3DShoots.com