Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 08-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot is on a distinguished road
Default Twisting my strings

I made a bow-press this evening and I was going to tighten my strings/cables and put a new peep on. My question is, if I am getting 54# from my 60# phoenix, what should I twist and how much- to fix it? Thanks for the help.
Tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

What is the longest draw lenght of this bow
and what is your draw lenght

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
Tenderfoot

Default reply

The draw on this bow is only adjustable with mod changes. It is set at 27''.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Tenderfoot

Default reply

cabelas sells that model only in 28 and 29''. Maybe I am wrong, Maybe I do shoot at 28 arrow on a 28 bow? Isn't draw measured from grip-string at full draw?
Old 08-27-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderfoot View Post
The draw on this bow is only adjustable with mod changes. It is set at 27''.
those specs are for 30" at 70#
I understand this is a general rule for all bow makers

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Old 08-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
Holy Smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
those specs are for 30" at 70#
I understand this is a general rule for all bow makers
I know if you use an inch longer sting you will increase your draw wieght so taking out twist will lenghten the string if I understand correctly

Old 08-27-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderfoot View Post
cabelas sells that model only in 28 and 29''. Maybe I am wrong, Maybe I do shoot at 28 arrow on a 28 bow? Isn't draw measured from grip-string at full draw?
The correct way to measure the BOW's DL is at full draw, from the string groove in the arrow nock to the deepest part of the grip PLUS 1 3/4". Some would also use the rest mount hole instead of the deepest part of the grip. So if you had a 28" module, it should measure 26 1/4 to the deepest part of the grip (or rest mount hole).
If it's a 60 lb bow it should hit 60 and have the correct DL for the module. I would call Parker and see what you have there. They might also tell you how the cam should sit at rest, the ATA, BH, string and cable lenths.

Last edited by red44; 08-27-2008 at 09:52 PM.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #8
Tenderfoot

Default reply

stupid me. I looked at my sticker. It says 29''(how do I, 5'6'' comfortable shoot such length?). Ok, so now untwisting the STRING should increase my draw weight. Last time I brought the bow in the guy fiddled with it for a while cuz it wasn't getting any heavier draw. He eventualy ended up twist shortening the buss.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:44 AM   #9
Holy Smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by red44 View Post
The correct way to measure the BOW's DL is at full draw, from the string groove in the arrow nock to the deepest part of the grip PLUS 1 3/4". Some would also use the rest mount hole instead of the deepest part of the grip. So if you had a 28" module, it should measure 26 1/4 to the deepest part of the grip (or rest mount hole).
If it's a 60 lb bow it should hit 60 and have the correct DL for the module. I would call Parker and see what you have there. They might also tell you how the cam should sit at rest, the ATA, BH, string and cable lenths.
for us big dummys CSS
if the right mod is used then the dl will produce the max # on a bow
or am I missing something

Old 08-28-2008, 07:11 AM   #10
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question Smokes. If he has 60 lb limbs on the bow. It should be able to hit 60 no matter what DL module is on the cam, so long as everything is adjusted correct. ( I think I'm agreeing with you here Smokes)
Tenderfoot, we are talking about a single cam here right?
I assume your using a release, how about a D-loop?
What's your wing span, finger tip to finger tip?
You can only do so much with DL on a single cam. Untwisting the cable, and twisting the string will shorten draw lenth. BUT it's also going to lower the lbs and under-rotate the cam. If you need to shorten it by more than a 1/4" I think you'd be better off getting the right module.
single cams:
Twisting (tightening) the cable: Increases DL and DW, moves the nocking point up, and rotates the cam towards the string. Opposite for unwisting.
Twisting (tightening) the string: Decreases DL, slightly decreases DW, and rotates the cam towards the riser. Opposite for untwisting.

Last edited by red44; 08-28-2008 at 07:33 AM.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:40 AM   #11
Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by red44 View Post
single cams:
Twisting (tightening) the cable: Increases DL and DW, moves the nocking point up, and rotates the cam towards the string. Opposite for unwisting.
Twisting (tightening) the string: Decreases DL, slightly decreases DW, and rotates the cam towards the riser. Opposite for untwisting.

What he said.

The wingspan method will get most close but for some it won't be right because of their build. I started using a different method a few years back and it get's you closer.

I make a fist or have the person make a fist and stand infront of a wall as if I was going to shoot that wall. Now address the wall like you were at full draw and with your fist against the wall. Measure from the wall to the corner of your mouth.....done.
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:51 AM   #12
harleyryder
bowhunter, Pure-n-Simple

harleyryder is on a distinguished road

First thing I would do is insure I have the correct module for your draw lenght(see BH's post above) then while the bow is in the press CHECK your string lenght ! Best way I have found to do this is to find a way to stretch it. I have a work bench with a post (1/4") on one end that I attach the string (or cable) to and and hang a weight off the other end and measure the string.A lot of problems are caused by a string being way to long or short and the cable(s) too
Old 08-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #13
Tenderfoot

Default reply

I aint trying to fiddle with the draw length or mess up the cam timing(which would be harder with the single cam). I just want to get max KE outa my arrows. Sounds like i'm going to have to move my loop/knock point etc if I mess with it no matter what-that or leave it weak. Thanks for the help, I'll tell you how my testings/twistings go.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:07 AM   #14
ShootNow

ShootNow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
What he said.

The wingspan method will get most close but for some it won't be right because of their build. I started using a different method a few years back and it get's you closer.

I make a fist or have the person make a fist and stand infront of a wall as if I was going to shoot that wall. Now address the wall like you were at full draw and with your fist against the wall. Measure from the wall to the corner of your mouth.....done.
This is a good method for DL. Should get you close.

Any questions call me at 724-290-5193!

Thanks for your support!
ShootNow is offline   Reply With Quote