Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 10-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Bob4

Bob4 is on a distinguished road
Default Quartering shots/Ethics

I'm a bit inexperienced so thought Id ask.

Hypethitical ! 20 to 30 yard shot.
Ideal shot being: deer standing 90 degrees perpendicular to you. How far does he have to turn towards you before you decide that "this shot won't kill"? or are you going to try and go through a shoulder ? I don't imagine it's very much before that shoulder gets in the way or your arrow is well away from a vital hit.

My thought is if it doesn't look like I will get a vital , near the heart or lungs, I'll wait it out.
Thought about this tonight as I was walking around shooting "No corn" My 3D target.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
PA.JAY

PA.JAY is on a distinguished road

I look for were will the arrow exit. any shot that will take out the lungs is a good shot . thats my goal.
PA.JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
Breck

Breck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA.JAY View Post
I look for were will the arrow exit. any shot that will take out the lungs is a good shot . thats my goal.
I just shot my first **** last week I after I found him I thought I shot a little to far toward the back end right side of the deer but the arrow exited right behind the left shoulder. After seeing the damage I could not of asked for a better shot.
I would want to shoot right behind the shoulder and make a pass through shot.

The higher you hunt the less chance's that you will be able the get a shot to pass thru both lungs.

Last edited by Breck; 10-09-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
MagnifiedFur
Team 6

MagnifiedFur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck View Post
The higher you hunt the less chance's that you will be able the get a shot to pass thru both lungs.

Im not so sure about that....You can take out both lungs and the heart from being higher if you hit the deer in the spine exiting the lower chest...I like shooting from a higher vantage point,I see better for one,I usually get a great blood trail from lower chest exits...Not to mention if you hit the spine,they just drop in their tracks...

To answer your question,if I were high enough to get a spine shot into the lungs,thats what I would do...I would not wait for the deer to quarter in,why wait for his eyes to pick you off?...I think we practice so much at broad side shots,that becomes our comfort shot..When you start practicing spine shots,you will have another comfort shot...The lungs are in the same place whether the deer is standing broad or looking away...

Bow Bend'n & Bone Bag'n
team 6
1.MagnifiedFur
2.bamaboydave
3.red man
4.tnts79
5.bowcraze30
MagnifiedFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
gizim_1132
Banned

gizim_1132 is on a distinguished road

If I have to I will try and put it through the shoulder to avoid hitting guts. but on my broadside shots I either go for double lung or if it's under 25 yards a heart shot. quartering away I usaully try to put it into the lungs then the opposite shoulder for and exit!!!!
gizim_1132 is offline   Reply With Quote